Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy One of the worst weeks of my life

OK so i've been planning on building two tanks, and i just got finished building the stand, and was just about to order the glass to build the two tank(freshwater planted and reef) when my job had a meeting with all the emploees(sp) that they were thinking about laying off people. That was beggining of last week. Then this last saterday I was involved in an accident and totaled my car I'm lucky and was able to walk away with a sore neck and back. Now being 22 working full time going to school full time and being marride, I simply lost it and cried(being a guy it was hard) for a long time. Our insurance did cover the car but it's a old 98 carolla so i didn't get much. Now i have no car, can barly afford another one-won't be able to afford to build my dream tank for a long time and my job is at stake But life goes on Just pray for me if you will(hope i'm not stepping on toes with saying that) Also I will be leaving the form soon for a while just becuase my life is taken a turn for the worst and need get get back on my feet before I can work on my tank again

Even in failure, your only a failure when you quite trying.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

everything happens for a reason. hang in there ur still young. once you get ur dream tank up, u'll aprreciate it that much more. I won't have my dream tank for a long time. hey, ur married...a lot of guys don't have that
Old 12/17/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Life and family before tank... some may disagree on here

Hang in there, keep your head up!
Old 12/17/2007, 07:18 PM
Evan in colorado

Sorry to hear about all this
Old 12/17/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Maybe you can find a car on Craigslist. I did just last week - there are some really good deals if you watch out for them.

Back when I was 21 years old, I was working at a diner in downtown Spokane, Washington to put my girlfriend through school and unlucky me - more like stupid me - I got not one, not two, but three speeding tickets in just one week! As the policeman drove off after writing that third ticket, I just sat there pretty much in tears because I just didn't have it. What little cash we had left was food money. But, somehow we made it through that rough patch and you will too.

Just hang in there...

-Ryan
Old 12/17/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

sorry to be such a downer but I feel the need to talk about it. I just moved here like 2 months ago(VA) and don't really have many friends yet.

Old 12/17/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Re: One of the worst weeks of my life

Quote:
Originally posted by Giga
...when my job had a meeting with all the emploees(sp) that they were thinking about laying off people. That was beggining of last week. Then this last saterday I was involved in an accident and totaled my car I'm lucky and was able to walk away with a sore neck and back. Now being 22 working full time going to school full time and being marride, I simply lost it and cried(being a guy it was hard) for a long time. Our insurance did cover the car but it's a old 98 carolla so i didn't get much. Now i have no car, can barly afford another one-won't be able to afford to build my dream tank for a long time and my job is at stake
Sorry to hear. Maybe it's for the better that you can't start your tanks yet. It could be worse.....think of it this way.

You could spend all your money setting up your reef and all your livestock dies because you don't have time to take care of it. Or set it up then get laid-off and have no money to even do water changes.....then everything dies. Two things I've learned about reefing. Both require a ton of time and money. Neither of which sounds like are working for you right now.

If it makes you feel any better, I'd give everything I have to be 22 again.
Old 12/17/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

yeah I know it could be worse I could be in the hospital or dead but it just sucks but a good story for kids one day

Old 12/17/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Such is life. I starting setting my tank up in 2001 and didn't actually put water in it until 2006.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Its not the your troubles that make who you are, but how you persevere and deal with these problems. We all have times when life throws a curve ball, but keep swinging and eventually you'll knock that f'n ball out of the park.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

Hell i almost look forward to getting canned now. My first job worked there for 7 years. Left took a pay cut when we moved to iowa. Worked one place for a little over a year got laid off found a job a day later for 3 bucks more a hour. did that for about 7 months left that job cause the boss was a ***** and now i make even more money.

Things happen for a reason. At least you didnt get canned right after buying a 120k home. That sucked but the three weeks sitting on my but sure was nice.

I'm only 25 close to 26 and id give anything to be 21 again. Heck i would have forgot all about the other stuff baught a home as soon as i could and start gaining that net worth.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:49 PM
Reefer

Stay on the forum and check in with your online friends. You may also want to join a local reef club so that you can make friends with people that have similar interests as you.

A lot of the fun of anticipating a new tank is in the planning.

Look at the job problem as an opportunity to improve your job and make more money and get a better job.

Life is full of ups and downs and as long as you have your family and they are all healthy, count your blessings. I know it's hard, but what doesn't break you will make you stronger.

Joyce
Old 12/18/2007, 12:02 AM
Team RC Member

Lots of friends on RC. We understand. At a certain point I was in debt 700.00, which was a quarter of what I earned a year. I paid it off. Wasn't easy, I'll tell you. But it proved what I could do.

Don't be ashamed of a little salt water. It's a lot manlier than letting fly at the innocent. Does you good. Let's off a little steam.

Your staying with your responsibilities is a plus, and you'll be able to look at yourself in the mirror for good and all. Prioritize. Make a plan. Figure who has to do what to survive and get out of this...and don't let the fact you have no tank yet dissuade you from posting here on RC---heck, come into the Lounge, where a number of people who, due to various reasons, don't have current tanks, gather and talk about life, the universe, and the whyness of it all.
They don't tell you about days like this when you graduate high school. They're afraid you'd panic. But you do get through them. From the other side, you can say they're character building; from where you stand they're an unfair PITA. But be assured you're not alone, and there's a lot of sympathy in this crew.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:48 AM
SPS Freak

Everything doesn't happen for a reason. That's just silly. You are the one who decides how things go. Be thankful you have at least a job as others don't. Sometimes you might have to work even harder to get what you want. I did nothing with fish tanks while I was in college. Sometimes having your dream tank has to be put on the back burner. You do not want to stress your life out anymore then you need. Since your married, stress and financial issues are one of the top reasons for divorce. Just take some time and enjoy the time that you have with your wife until things get better.

Hang in there.
Old 12/18/2007, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

Look at your tag line & look at mine... you'll be OK! just hang in there.

Old 12/18/2007, 03:16 AM
El Jefe de WRS

My sympathies, but I think this should be moved to the Lounge... its not a Reef Topic, its a 'Me' Topic.
Old 12/18/2007, 04:27 AM
Aquarium Addict

Hang in there.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

As Eric Draven ( The Crow ) had said,

" It won't rain all the time "

Cheer up, man !!

Old 12/18/2007, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

IF you don't have it bad once in a while, you don't appreciate the good times.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Hang in there dude! It will pass... You're still young and flexible; you'll bounce back. I went through almost the exact same thing. You'll get through this, but how you come out of it is up to you. I personally like the saying: "You can't change how the wind blows but you can adjust you sails."

In the meantime hang onto the reef tank dream and take care of your responsibilities (wife, family, and financial) as best you can. Family and bills need to come first...

BTW, I'll pray for ya'.

Todd
Old 12/18/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

I don't really have anything brilliant to say, most here have already expressed what I was thinking. But I want you to know, I will pray for you. I can certainly understand what you are facing, been there, and recovered. You will too. Try not to get too down.

Sheril
Old 12/18/2007, 05:32 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by vsnph
As Eric Draven ( The Crow ) had said,

" It won't rain all the time "

Cheer up, man !!

Nice... trying to give encouraging words from a dead guy...
Old 12/18/2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

hang in there....

what doesnt kill us makes us stronger...........

besides you might hit the lottery tommorow and start a "my 3000g reef" thread.......
Old 12/18/2007, 05:56 PM
El Jefe de WRS

what doesnt kill us can also make us weaker..........
Old 12/18/2007, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
what doesnt kill us can also make us weaker..........
what doesnt kill us can make us the same too