Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Richmond Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Water evaporation at night?

Just wondering, Lately I have been burning a lot more water than usual, but only at night time. Any ideas? It has been burning about a half a gallon during the day and 3 gallons at night. I cannot figure out why there is so much at night time.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:38 PM
I think I love my tank

I've noticed more evaporation myself lately, though not necessarily at night vs. day. This is the first winter with my tank and I'm writing it of as dryer winter air causing more evap.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 12/22/2007, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

Could be heat-pump,wood stove will definantley dry things out!2 1/2gal more at night sounds like alot though.I assume you checked the floor
Old 12/22/2007, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Weston,

3 1/2 gallons a day is a lot for a 90. Even if your house is dry.
Like LB said, have you looked hard for a leak?
Old 12/23/2007, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

On my 75, which we all know is just a shorter 90, I can make it by with about 1/2 to 1 gallon in a 24 hour period...so as everyone else has stated, check your floor real good...

Seems we may have a new person to join Charlies Carpet Wetter club...

Seriously though, that much water in a day is too much...you got something going on...you don't have a dehumidifier running in your house do you? I suppose that could do it if it is running harder at night for whatever reason...

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 12/23/2007, 09:10 AM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

something is up, there should be more evap during the day, as the lights and i would expect more cooling are on.
Old 12/23/2007, 09:55 AM
wm3.org

Do you have a sump running? If so what size? Is there a heater in the sump?

I have a 72 Bowfront with just a 20 gal. high sump underneath , I have my skimmer , pumps , heater and 2.5 fuge under there .. I also keep my house at about 65 degrees at night .. I would say all total I probably displace about 10 or so gal. So when the ambient temp gets down the heater burns through more water than it normally would if say I had a bigger sump. I think , I guess I could be wrong , but maybe that's an explanation.
Old 12/23/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Ok, first off I am sorry, I didn't update my profile. Here some factors. 1. Last week I added a 20 gallon frag tank open hood with a 250 watt pendant HQI. Sorry I know thats alot of it. 2. The gas in my apartment building runs through all the walls in our apartment, making it a very very dry place. I also think that it is a constant evaporation, not as I had said at night more.
Old 12/23/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Here's what I am doing to try to fix it. Right now I have cut a piece of acrylic to fit over the top of the 20 gallon frag tank. It should cut down on the evaporation some, as long as it does not melt. I am going to leave it there and see how much there is evaporated from my autotop-off container. Secondly I am going to invest in an ro/di unit. If it is really going to be evaporating even just 10 gallons a week, I think I need to invest, although I would have to say that it won't be too soon. $$
Old 12/23/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Also, My heater has never turner on! I hear my chiller running in the morning, and night too without the lights on. I bought it, but I don't think I am ever going to use it, peace of mind I guess. Oh and my apartment is always extremely hot. I cannot stop it. I have never turned the radiators on in my apartment, but the radiating heat from the walls, and the pipes running through them, heats the place up, and dry's it out.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

My 90 was burning 1.5 gal a day when I checked in the summer time so it sounds like with the dry air your losses are about right.The ro/di is probably the best (and least cool) item you will buy for you tanks.I never realized how much of a pain it was to tote water and top-off everyday till I got mine!
Old 12/23/2007, 05:28 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

my 90 evap about 15 liters a day, but i have a lot of extra surface area from the extra tanks. it has increased lately, make sure you keep an eye on salinity.

an rodi is one of the first things one should buy when setting up a reef tank, along with a controller.
Old 12/23/2007, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

If your apartment is that dry, you should invest in a humidifier.
Right now, your tank is acting as a humidifier: Supplying moisture into the air from any available water source (your tank). As you know, that means constantly topping-off your tank with RO/DI water.

A humidifier will use tap water (cheaper and easier) to purposely put moisture into your apartment's air. Since it will supply the moisture for the air, your tank won't evaporate as much (trying to do the same thing).

Air that is too dry contributes to:
Dry skin.
Cracked skin.
Dried out nasal passages, which crack and leave openings for viruses to enter your body.
etc.

I run one every winter.

Just a thought. . .
Old 12/23/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Great idea, I am going to go to target and price a few humidifiers. The only drawback is that then I have another piece of equipment drawing electricity, but it might be cheaper than buying water.
Old 12/23/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Great idea, I am going to go to target and price a few humidifiers. The only drawback is that then I have another piece of equipment drawing electricity, but it might be cheaper than buying water.
Old 12/23/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Weston,

Take a look in Sears also. Our daughter got either the 12 or 14 gallon one shown here.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...ord=humidifier

They don't use much electricity as they are just a fan blowing across a material that acts like a wick. When winter comes, I can "feel" when it is time to turn mine on. I do recommend you use their anti-bacteria additive.
Old 12/24/2007, 01:21 PM
Mouth Pipetting

The rate of evaporation is affected by the water temperature, the air temperature, and the relative humidity of the air. So I think Rick is onto something. If your apt is that dry, adding a humidifier will make you feel and sleep a lot better I've both humidifiers from the local drugstores like CVS, and they've always worked well. For winter time you, get a warm air humidifier.

Lately, my place has been too wet and I'm getting condensation on the windows, which leads to mold, which leads to yucky feelings. I had to buy a dehumidifier!
Old 12/24/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I cut the acrylic top to fit onto the frag tank. The light does not melt it, as well as the evaporation over the last 24hours is back down to 1/2 a gallon. I also put a warm pot on the stove full of water, until I can get the humidifier. It seems to help with the dry air as well! Thanks again
Old 12/24/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rick s
Weston,

Take a look in Sears also. Our daughter got either the 12 or 14 gallon one shown here.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...ord=humidifier

They don't use much electricity as they are just a fan blowing across a material that acts like a wick. When winter comes, I can "feel" when it is time to turn mine on. I do recommend you use their anti-bacteria additive.
Do you think the anti bacteria additive could affect the tank? Do you know if it evaporates along with the water?

My house is very dry in winter and I run a small humidifier in my son's room. I don't add anything to it, partially because of the fish, but I have wondered if I am doing the right thing.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:21 PM
Mouth Pipetting

Quote:
Originally posted by TammyLiz
Do you think the anti bacteria additive could affect the tank? Do you know if it evaporates along with the water?
No, I wouldn't expect the anti-bacteria additive to affect the tank, nor should it evaporate with the water.

I've never tried the anti-bacteria stuff, nor did I know it was even available and I've been using humidifiers for a few years without any issues.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:34 AM
I bleed orange and maroon

would running a de-humidifier in the room cause the tank to have more evaporation?

i have condensation also.....but only in my bedroom windows...i always figured that was due to the cheap single pane windows installed by the apt. complex. no condensation on the sliding door near the tank, or on the kitchen window.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 12/25/2007, 03:38 PM
Mouth Pipetting

Quote:
Originally posted by surfnvb7
would running a de-humidifier in the room cause the tank to have more evaporation?
Yeah, I suspect it will. I've been getting condensation on all the windows and sliding door.
Old 12/25/2007, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

The only reason I use the anti-bacterial additive is because if I don't, and the humidifier doesn't run alot for a few weeks (weather warms up for awhile), the water will start to smell.

If I use the additive everytime I add water, I never get that smell.
Old 12/25/2007, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

I have one of the sears 12 Gallon humidifiers and it works great. I also have not used the anti-bacterial additive but as someone said it can cause the water to smell if it has not ran in a while, but the smell goes away with 30-45 minutes of running, at least in mine it does. I also have notice a increase in evap though even with the humidifier. I am using about 2 gallons a day in my 90 Gallon Bow with a 20 Gal Sump/Refugium, and definitely no leaks. Winter air tends to be a LOT drier than the summer air so evaporation will definitely increase during the winter months.

WreckDiver
aka: CyBrSuFr

Click the little red house for the latest tank picts