Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2007, 11:50 PM
Here comes the Gators

BTW, this year FLA has widened the gap with OSU in terms of how much better they are so don't be prepared to take FLA down for another lifetime if that's even possible.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/19/2007, 12:21 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Florida needs to grow a set and keep a live gator on the sidelines. They can throw it a chicken or dead cat everytime they score
Old 09/19/2007, 02:32 AM
Moved Onward

Fantastic Four
By Pat Forde
ESPN.com

At this early point, a quartet of teams have surged to the forefront and established themselves as the early vanguard of college football. The Dash puts them in a pecking order:

John David Booty and USC get the edge from The Dash after winning at Nebraska.

1. USC Trojans (6)
Why the Trojans are No. 1: They're the only one of the four to beat a ranked team on the road -- and they did it convincingly, in a stadium that can still shake with the best of them.

What they're doing best: Dominating up front, on both sides of the ball. USC is sixth nationally in rushing offense and ninth in rushing defense, winning the game at the line of scrimmage.

Stat: Not a single Trojan ranks in the national top 30 in any of the NCAA's major statistical categories. And it doesn't matter at all.

Chinks in the armor: The passing game has been unspectacular so far, but it certainly hasn't hurt the Trojans. You have to figure John David Booty will be ready to take over a game if called upon.

First real test: Might not be until USC visits Oregon Oct. 27.

LSU is No. 1 in total defense.

2. LSU Tigers (7)
Why the Tigers are No. 2: Combined score through three games is 137-7 -- and it took a replay review to determine that even the one touchdown allowed really was a touchdown. And the competition has at least been decent.

What they're doing best: LSU's defense has been insane. It leads the nation in total defense by more than 50 yards per game over the second-best unit, and in points allowed by three per game.

Stat: Opponents have run the ball 91 times at the LSU defense. Only five of those carries have gone for 10 or more yards. Only one has gone for more than 12. That's speed, pursuit and gang tackling.

Chinks in the armor: Is backup quarterback Ryan Perrilloux too good for the team's good? He's 27 of 33 for 403 yards and six touchdowns in relief of highly capable starter Matt Flynn. Any chance of a quarterback controversy here if Flynn struggles? (The Dash is, admittedly, grasping for a weakness.)

First real test: Florida comes to town Oct. 6 for what could be the biggest regular-season game of the year nationwide.

Urban Meyer has the Gators chewing up yards on offense.

3. Florida Gators (8)
Why the Gators are No. 3: The offense is even more powerful and diverse than the version that won the national title last season. And the defense and special teams each chipped in touchdowns in the annihilation of Tennessee.

What they're doing best: Florida is running the spread offense to near perfection, hitting defenses from all angles. In classic UrbanBall fashion, 60 percent of the Gators' rushing attempts are by non-running backs.

Stat: How's this for efficiency? The Gators are scoring a point for every 9.4 yards of offense. Steve Spurrier's 1996 national champs, which hold the school record for scoring, averaged a point for every 11 yards.

Chinks in the armor: The secondary is young and susceptible to giving up a lot of yards and completions. And the defensive front hasn't generated enough consistent pressure.

First true test: At LSU Oct. 6. Gators lost last time they were there, in 2005.

Malcolm Kelly has seven TDs on 14 receptions this season.

4. Oklahoma Sooners (9)
Why the Sooners are No. 4: They've crushed three teams, but how good are those three? Combined record for Utah State, Miami and North Texas is 2-6, and the Hurricanes' two victories came against teams currently 0-3.

What they're doing best: The offensive balance is impressive: The Sooners rank 13th nationally in rushing offense and 12th in passing offense. Five backs are doing the damage on the ground and Oklahoma has thrown one touchdown pass for every 7.4 attempts. (Wideout Malcolm Kelly has 14 receptions and seven TDs.)

Stat: Oklahoma's leaders in rushing (DeMarco Murray), passing (Sam Bradford), sacks (Auston English) and tackles for loss (Ryan Reynolds) did not play a down in 2006.

Chinks in the armor: The Sooners are nothing special so far punting the ball and returning punts. That's about it.

First real test: Red River Shootout Oct. 6 against Texas. Oklahoma has lost two straight in that rivalry for the first time since 1998-99.

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!
Old 09/19/2007, 08:01 AM
SPS Kibitzer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Florida needs to grow a set and keep a live gator on the sidelines. They can throw it a chicken or dead cat everytime they score
They have live Gators right on Campus in Lake Alice

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09/19/2007, 11:19 AM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
That's too much of a hazard.

OYT, good analysis article. However, the article made LSU look better than USC.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/19/2007, 12:06 PM
Moved Onward

Like I mentioned before, I think LSU will beat SC if they played right now. SC has a few kinks they have to work out, especially with WR's.
Now with the FLA and LSU matchup, it's gonna be high powered offense against an awesome defense. Somethings gotta give. We'll be able to see just how good they are or has it just been inflateable numbers against weak opponents. Probably the most anticipated regular season game of the year!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...st&id=3024489#

Old 09/19/2007, 12:24 PM

I wouldn't be betting either way on these teams until I see a few more games. Right now Oklahoma looks scarry good too.
Old 09/19/2007, 12:38 PM
Moved Onward

The scary part would be the Sooners facing an undefeated Big East school for the championship. I've heard that on the radio a few times already and even the sportscaster said they would rather see a one-loss SC and a one-loss SEC school play each other instead. They mentioned a one-loss SEC school is still much better than an undefeated Big 12 or Big East school hands down. Funny thing is, I would totally agree myself.

Old 09/19/2007, 01:22 PM
Here comes the Gators

I hope Texas beats the sooners. They are in such a garbage conference.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/19/2007, 02:27 PM

I wouldn't be trying to judge conference strength this early in the year eaither. Last year the Big Twelve was weak but there is a chance they could be a power this year.

Of course I could also get struck by lightning or win the lottery too
Old 09/19/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
Personal reasons don't matter to me. OSU got tore up that game to a superior team who was thought to be the "underdog." Please...
Except stating that they are superior is an opinion, I could make my arguement all day the Ginn adds a dimension to the offense that would have changed the tide; regardless its done.

as far as widening the gap..pride before the fall just like the Bucks last year

i mean lets face it on the kickoff Ginn RAPED you

Last edited by emerald chondro; 09/19/2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09/19/2007, 08:32 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by emerald chondro
Except stating that they are superior is an opinion, I could make my arguement all day the Ginn adds a dimension to the offense that would have changed the tide; regardless its done.

Are you seriously going to sit there and try and debate me about the OSU/FLA massacre? Please get in touch with reality because Florida DID dominate you in every part of the game except for that lucky kick return. . Florida was obviously the much more superior team in that face off. I don't know how you could debate that. Wait, I am sure Rug could...

There is nothing to debate about. FLA beat your sorry Big 10 champ. team 41-14. Maybe if you reversed your score you would have at least tied us. Enough said.

I could show you the stats on the game and embarrass you more if you want me too.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/19/2007, 08:39 PM
living life 2 the fullest

Quote:

And the funny thing is, thats the only good thing OSU did the whole game.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 09/19/2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bluerug

And the funny thing is, thats the only good thing OSU did the whole game.

A momentous occasion in the football thread has just occured

The Rug said something that made sense!!!
Old 09/19/2007, 08:56 PM
But what do I know?

Quote:
Except stating that they are superior is an opinion, I could make my arguement all day the Ginn adds a dimension to the offense that would have changed the tide
I didn't know Ginn played defense too? That must have really sucked losing your best offensive AND defensive player.

"By the way Brian, nice colon." ~ Orchids
Old 09/19/2007, 08:57 PM
living life 2 the fullest

Well thank you very much, but i wont get too big headed from saying something that made sense.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 09/20/2007, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

emerald is truly a dedicated fan. After having his team get squashed in the National Championship, he still has the ability to try to argue for them. Its amazing how allegiences to one's team can color one's perception.

But in all seriousness, its a little rediculous to even argue for OSU at this point. That game was out of hand very quickly. OSU had absolutely no chance of stopping UF's offense, and I fail to see how Boy Smith could have passed the ball to anyone while lying face down in his own tears. By half way through the third quarter, Meyer had already called off the dogs and OSU still couldnt manage to find any success.

Lets just put this baby to sleep right now. UF was superior to OSU last year. They were superior on offense, defense, and definately on the sidelines between the headsets. In all likelyhood, they are superior again this year.

To continue your argument Emerald makes you appear in a light of insanity not yet witnessed in this forum. And that is saying a lot.
Old 09/20/2007, 09:38 AM
SPS Kibitzer

Quote:

you need to stop because now you sound ridiculous
Old 09/20/2007, 11:06 AM
Moved Onward

Quote:

I'm kinda like you where I think of what coulda shoulda happened during the game but after the fact, there's just nothing you can say to change the score.
ARK ran all day on Wisky last year but somehow lost to an inferior team IMO. S#!T happens unfortunately! But since you can see the other angle like I do, not to say the best team didn't win but to see how well the other team played despite the score, you have to admit that had OSU not block that field goal against Washington, when UW could've extended their lead but instead it opened the floodgates for OSU, allowing the momentum to swing. W/O that blocked field goal, OSU could've easily lost that game but instead what everyone sees is a blowout score.

Old 09/20/2007, 11:34 AM
Moved Onward

Also, if you look at the stats between Oregon St/Cincy game, there's no way they get blown out but then you look at those 7 turnovers which made the night much easier for Cincy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ast&id=3027254

Old 09/20/2007, 04:24 PM
Here comes the Gators

poor poor emerald....

Rug, where did your Georgia bulldog avatar go or are you already bailing out on them this year?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/20/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

haha whatever i'll lay out my scenario; its probably pretty unrealistic but you never know ..besides gotta stick up for my team, im sure that if Florida gets clobbered in a game that they're supposed to win you'll say they got outplayed but you'll also have a reason inside of what could've entirely changed it:

1. My #1 arguement is still my boy Teddy; One less man on floridas D to worry about (double coverage) thus greater oppurtunities for run; an NFl example would be Chad Johnson and T.j. Housh..you take away Chad and i guarentee you Housh won't put up the numbers he does. Same goes for Anthony Gonzalez

2. Our defensive style; Tressel runs a zone that prevents the deep ball. Unforuntantly, he must have been thinking of something else when he called this cause Chris Leak isn't well reputed for said deep ball. We gave him what he wanted: Short passes in the middle.

3. Rustiness: we hadn't played in a month due to our last game ending before other games; Florida has had less time of resting at home;maybe we're even alil out of shape.

4. and by far the one i hate; cockiness theres is no doubt in my mind that we came into Arizona feeling Top dawg; like the Miami Hurricanes of 2002.

while my reasons/opinions may not affect you or just cause more : your a dumb***just shut up I'm sticking to them....Hehe i even have a reason for the basketball game (btw who didn't see Oden rape all yall )

I will make a bet with anyone though should my Bucks lose to an Sec, Pac 10, or some sh*tty team like Northwestern i will wear an avatar of any college team that first person who calls me on says (NOTE I WILL NOT IN ANY CONDITION WEAR A MICHIGAN AVATAR HOWEVER)

I think Tang kind of points out the better thing of College football; anything can change the game for a team, a sack, a blocked kick, or even a screen pass for a first down..and the final score difference doesn't always say the game

and with that i say i'm done with the subject unless you call me on it.

GO BUCKS

and im thinking the LSU game this weekend is gonna be a scare
Old 09/20/2007, 08:47 PM
Here comes the Gators

Thanks for preaching your list of excuses of why you sadly lost. Just admit it, FLA KILLED you despite of Teddy. That's pretty sad if you think OSU relied on one player to win the game. .

FLA beat OSU in football and basketball for the NCAA NC and clobbered you in both. FLA is better and OSU is worse. Simple.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/20/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Its not relying on a player its relying on the dimension he adds, Ginn showed on the kickoff that he ahd the speed to match Florida; thus we rely on him to take pressure away from Troy,thats like taking randy Moss from the Pats, they're still a solid team but Moss gives them the edge to go over the top

Basketball: we shot 4-20 from behind the Ark; if we shoot any sort of decent percentage that game is suddenly very close.

as far as the other 2 games we lsot in basketball one we didn;'t have Greg Oden (and 1 player in bball means a hell of alot more then a single player in football just ask Michael Jordan) and we still almost beat Nc at home.

I still thinks its a victory to have joakim Noah out of NCAA basketball and that in his last game he got absoultely Owned in the post.

Hortford i could stand, Green i didn't mind, Lee Humphry is alittle punk that ****es everyone off cause you guard all of Floridas
talent and he sneaks to an open spot, and Joakim Noah is the retard of the year you could not pay me to like that guy.

I can go all day but i guarentee you that nothing you or I say will affect the other person much
Old 09/20/2007, 09:18 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:

Basketball: we shot 4-20 from behind the Ark; if we shoot any sort of decent percentage that game is suddenly very close.
Who's fault is that? OSU's fault of course. Seems like your team choked up when it mattered most and FLA just kept throwin them down.

Noah didn't play all that great that game but he was still nasty during other games. Humphrey is just rediculous with threes. FLA was unstoppable last year. Everyone knew FLA was going to win another NCAA title in basketball. Imagine if all the juniors played their senior year. It would be another automatic NCAA title.

Quote:
Its not relying on a player its relying on the dimension he adds, Ginn showed on the kickoff that he ahd the speed to match Florida; thus we rely on him to take pressure away from Troy,thats like taking randy Moss from the Pats, they're still a solid team but Moss gives them the edge to go over the top
Umm you just proved my point. You are in essence relying on a player that adds demension to a game.

Even if OSU was out of shape that's OSU's fault. They should have known they were playing an elite SEC team that has lots of speed and endurance. The true power of the SEC deceived you guys.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!