Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/28/2005, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Question T5 in place of MH? help

ok im sorry that i have to ask this, but the T5's are as good as the MH right, as in they both can light the same corals and all that. im thinking about getting MH but if the T5's can do the same im going to go with them. thanks in advance
Old 03/28/2005, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

T5 is equal and better to a MH in many ways
Old 03/28/2005, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

thats what i thought, thank you very much i will be going T5 now.

now if i can get some help of where i can buy bulbs and end caps for them that would be nice.
Old 03/28/2005, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

edit
Old 03/28/2005, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

check out reefgeek.com today for all your t-5 lighting necessities. no, seriously- good place for everything related to t-5's
Old 03/28/2005, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

ok thanks
Old 03/28/2005, 07:51 PM
Professional Crastinator

Is your tank a 15 gal? I would defnitely go with T5s to avoid heat issues. Make sure to get ones with good quality reflectors (ie: anything other than ebay ) I highly recommend IceCap reflectors and ballasts, and I also agree that ReefGeek is a great place for all lighting needs...

"My instinct was to win, eliminate anyone who is in competition, destroy my enemy, and move on without any kind of hesitiation at all."
-Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 03/28/2005, 07:51 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Whoa, slow down. What do you want to do with T5's? What size tank? Deminsion of tank and kind of critters you want to keep/
Old 03/28/2005, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

well i want to upgrade the lighting for the zoos mostly, bring out there color better. the tank is 24"Lx 12x12. i just want to have this lighting so that maybe i could keep some hard corals that demand more light. but i might not do that, i just mostly want it for the zoos and the current corals
Old 03/28/2005, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

i guess im going about 1000mph here arent i, let me tell you guys everyhting, im thinking about buying a wh7 ballast from another memeber here, but thats just all that it is, so i need a reflector, end caps, and the bulbs.
Old 03/28/2005, 08:37 PM

Grabe yourself 4 lamps, reflectors, endcaps and standoffs and they will do great.

www.reefgeek.com
Old 03/28/2005, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

how is it wired to the endcaps? do i have to buy so wire to run from the balast to the endcaps?
Old 03/28/2005, 08:52 PM

The ballast should have long enough leads for your wiring. Solid wires about 16 gauge I think. www.fulham.com will have the diagram for the wiring.
Old 03/29/2005, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

ok let me make sure of something, 6500k will be kinda white yellow right? and 10,000 is white, so if i were to have 2 acintics, and 2 of those 6500 i would be ok right, i want it to be a little more blue than white, but if it will be whiteish blue thats fine to, if someone post some pics of there colors that would help me. thanks
Old 03/29/2005, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

ok i was reading the other forums with peoples lighting, i didnt see any acintics. acintics would be a more purple blue right. i think that im going to
sun
acintic
sun
acintic

if anyone could post just shots of there lights that would help me more, and if you could, post a shot of the colors that i think that im going to go with i would like that. thanks
Old 03/29/2005, 11:11 AM
IN DEEP

Look here for diff bulb combos. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=421647
Old 03/29/2005, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

I'd go with aquablues (60/40) instead of the suns. The par is very close if not better than the suns and they have a much whiter look. The suns are too yellow. Then go with two blue plus (aka actinic plus) or one blue plus and one true actinic.
Old 03/29/2005, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

How deep of a tank are T5's good for. Would they throw enought light for a 28 inch deep tank?
210 reef 3-=400w-20k 4 VHO 03 atinic , calcium reactor ,redsea XL skimmer turbo Dolphin2000DP pump 2 Hagen 901 power heads 150lbs reef rock - 275 live rock , bare bottom . Custom Canopy Stainless steel frame .
90gal salt fish only 220w compact
200 Tanganikan cicklid tank
Old 03/29/2005, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

IMO NO! T5 are lamps like other fluorecent lamps. there HO instead of VHO output. T5 have there place but cannot penetrate deep water like MH [point source light].
T5 with good reflectors are close to VHO lighting.
Old 03/29/2005, 11:32 AM

Devilman

I would use 1 Aquablue, 1 sun or day and 2 Blueplus lamps. That will give you a slightly blue light with good color and fluorescence of the corals.
Old 03/29/2005, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

ok i think that you know what im looking for grim. thanks my tank is only 12" deep so i think that i will be good with the penitration.

and tomzpc, yeah i thought that the suns might be to yellow, so i might just go with one. thanks
Old 03/29/2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by john rochon
IMO NO! T5 are lamps like other fluorecent lamps. there HO instead of VHO output. T5 have there place but cannot penetrate deep water like MH [point source light].
T5 with good reflectors are close to VHO lighting.
T5's with good reflectors spank VHO's. A guy measured PAR on the surface of a 3 foot, 95 watt actinic white VHO with the built in reflector and it was less par than I read 3/4" from a 5 foot 80 watt T5 (overdriven to about 100 watts) without the reflector.

As far as how deep a T5 will penetrate it will depend on what you want to put in the tank. I wouldn't try clams in a tank more than 24" tall with anything but halides.
Old 03/29/2005, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

im going to buy this light.
http://www.altgarden.com/site/lights...tek-light.html

any thoughts? im going with different bulbs of course
Old 03/29/2005, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

ok i called they can get me differnent color bulbs, they can get 11,000, and acintics, on there. but i asked him about the wattage, i thought that these were 54w 24" bulbs but there not, they are 24w 24" bulbs i didnt know that. my question is, will this system be better than a 130w pc light? i mean do the watts really matter? or are the benifets of the T5 out wieght the PC even though i have more watts on the PC, what i really want is to have better color in my corals, if the growth rate is the same i will be fine with that. im sorry i dont get this im just trying to better understand T5 lighting. how does this overdriven thing work? thanks
Old 03/29/2005, 01:35 PM

The T5's are still better. To overdrive them you have to run them on an Ice Cap ballast which ain't cheap. I would go with the 11K and blueplus lamps if it were me, the T5 actinics aren't real great.

In a 4 lamp system I would go with 1 6500K, 1 11K and 2 blueplus. Should provide a slightly blue look to the light and still have good reproduction of the red and yellow colors.