Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks

Old 02/03/2005, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

a couple of more
Old 02/03/2005, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

I like it, esspecially the whole over flow aspect. But if i were you i would sand down the back so the water flows off the back and doesnt obstruct the view. It is sick
30 bimac octo
5 g baby peacock mantis
Old 02/04/2005, 12:07 AM
TRC Leader

This is great. Since you built that tank, this would be a simple project for you to get great shots! http://www.melevsreef.com/topdown.html

I love the tang in there, but I bet it steals food from the sun coral in the future. My Naso does.
Old 02/04/2005, 08:07 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

incredible tank

Incredible tank! Where did you get the clams? Linc
Old 02/04/2005, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

thanks melev.

i feed the sun's cyclopeeze(sp). and the tang doesn't go after that stuff. on the window. i'm look'n at building one. not time at the moment. i'm work'n on a new CA reactor at the moment. but will build one soon.

more clams to come. these are just the crocea's.. i haven't got the ultra Maxima's yet ..
Old 02/04/2005, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

i'm also gonna put a select few of these guys up forsale. i'll post when i'm ready.
Old 02/09/2005, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

This is a really neat tank. I've been thinking about something similar.

But I was thinking that it would be fed by tee'ing off some of my main tanks overflow. So the clam tank is between the overflow and the sump.

Anyway, I love what you've done here. Just thought I'd point out another plumbing option without check valves.
Old 02/09/2005, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

thanks. it might work. but your main tank would have to be pretty high to get enough gravity to flow the water to the clam tank.

but it is an idea.
Old 02/25/2005, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

This is a gorgeous tank...I'd love to see it in person some day...Just to help out. He's got more pics here.

http://www.maast.org/index.php?name=...ewtopic&t=9509
Old 02/25/2005, 12:22 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks for the link, it is looking great! What is the flow like in that tank?
Old 02/25/2005, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

That tank is sweet! Ever since I upgraded to MH, I've been slowly converting my 50 gal to SPS/Clam. . .

Eric T. Danielson
Old 03/31/2005, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Just an idea

I noticed that you said you have your oyster garden plumbed in to your 'fudge for the main aquarium; you might have a more consistent flow if you pulled your water from the main aquarium next to it, near or from the bottom of that tank, and then ran it up through your oyster garden, with some sort of ball valve in the middle to control flow, and then a pump running from your drainage tray back to the main aquarium. You could still control your flow, but it would be much more consistent; think of it as a water tower compared to a sole pump.

Only thing you might worry about would be accidentally sucking a fish through and into the clam garden, Finding Nemo style But I think you could come up with a clever solution to prevent that, seeing as how you designed the thing from scratch
Old 03/31/2005, 11:19 AM
TRC Leader

hadlock,

[welcome]
Old 03/31/2005, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

well since this tread has come back to life again. i guess i'll post some updated pics. will have them up in a day or so. and fill everyone in on the progress and some mishapps with the tank.

thanks everyone again for the comments.
Old 03/31/2005, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Gorgeous,

Now all you need are some maximas, derasas, squamosas, teardrops!
Old 03/31/2005, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

hey szesteve.

thanks for the complement.

if u check the link that incysor posted you'll see more pics
there's 5 max's in there and the rest are crocea's the max's are ultra blues and 4 tear drops.
i'm not to big on squamo's or derasas. they get to big for my tank. i might try a few and as they get bigger trade or sell them.

stay tuned for updated pics.
Old 03/31/2005, 03:35 PM
Time 4 Bigger Tank!

wow...amazing. I've always like clams, and finally got my first one, a derasas. I must say, you have amazing clams, and a very trick tank to boot!

Marc
Old 03/31/2005, 05:19 PM
TRC Leader

Could you post some new images from across the room to get an idea what it looks like on its stand and with the pendant hanging above it?

Also, do you have any images of the suncorals when fully opened up?
Old 03/31/2005, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

melev. just for u buddy. i'll post some
Old 03/31/2005, 07:16 PM
TRC Leader

Awesome! Thanks.
Old 04/03/2005, 10:08 AM
CVR Co-*******

That is wild. Nice work.

so what type of check valve did you end up with. My thought was a float switch in the sump and a solidnoid valve that is fail secure. on power outage it would engage or if the sump got to high.
Old 04/04/2005, 06:05 AM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Reef Cherie had one of those Zero Clearance tanks and the day before MACNA, the pump failed, the check valve failed and here livingroom was flooded, with all of her clams exposed to the air for an unknown period of time. She quickly acclimated them to her reef tank and then left for MACNA.

The problem with the checkvalve was that the gravel substrate was constantly drawn in to the return line each time the pump turned off, because the tank would automatically try to drain. The vacuum of this event drew in the gravel, and thus the valve could not seal.

The concept is great as long as the pump is running non-stop. The checkvalve is the flaw, but I still can't come up with an alternative solution.

I love the pictures in this thread, and the tank looks excellent. I'd make one myself if I could figure out a solution. The only one I can come up with is a tower in the center that breaks the surface unfortunately.
This is what my husband designed as the solution for my zero-edge clam tank. This is basically a standpipe, but modified in a way that still allows the top to be virtually ripple-free. It isn't as attractive as having no standpipe in the center, but it does the job and doesn't look all that bad.

Cheri
Old 04/04/2005, 12:51 PM
TRC Leader

Cheri, I just woke up so forgive my lack of comprehension (I'm drinking coffee, I promise!), but how does that solve the problem?

Water comes up the standpipe, comes out the holes, goes down the inverted 'vase' and flows into the tank. When the pump is off, water siphons out the same way, right? What breaks the siphon?
Old 04/04/2005, 01:44 PM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Cheri, I just woke up so forgive my lack of comprehension (I'm drinking coffee, I promise!), but how does that solve the problem?

Water comes up the standpipe, comes out the holes, goes down the inverted 'vase' and flows into the tank. When the pump is off, water siphons out the same way, right? What breaks the siphon?
My husband says you are a smart cookie for noticing that something was missing from the explanation. You are absolutely right..... he drilled a very small hole near the top of the outside tube.... facing the back of the tank, pointing down, to reduce the surface disturbance.... which will act as an air release to break siphon if the check valve fails when the pump is turned off.... this hole needs to be cleared every so often, as algae or debris could clog it up...

Cheri
Old 04/04/2005, 01:55 PM
TRC Leader

Ah. So it wasn't my lack of coffee-intake. Thanks for the explanation.

I really wish there was a more elegant solution for this situation, because I'd make one myself. I guess a black acrylic tower in the center could house the anti-siphon solution, merely to hide it. Or to make something on the end to house and hide it, but it would steal one edge or at least ruin the simple symmetry.