Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 02/27/2006, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

Yes, CA and ALK are extremely closely related, but raising one is not a way of lowering another. Water changes are your best bet. Good luck!
Old 03/02/2006, 05:13 PM
The Clown of the Fish

I am in the process of a water change, and I see how raising one won't help, but I need to get my CA up anyways. I also got some new corals (sorry for not taking your advice). They are really small, so they shouldn't add to the bioload too much. Pics will be up later.

"Sometimes if you do the job badly enough, you won't get asked to do it again" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 03/02/2006, 06:02 PM
g l a s s b o x

As pointed out earlier, a skimmer is a must. SPS and organics dont mix well.

We run a cpr bacpac2 with a modified impeller on our 20g bb sps tank and it works great. In fact nutrients are too low, we have to overfeed or the color in our corals get too pale.

Post on the CMAS board if anyone has a used skimmer for sale. Just dont skimp... ASM & EuroReef are good choices. Dont buy a skimmer for how cheap it is, get a good quality one. Ask the board before making your decision.

And you think you're broke now? LOL wait till college

BTW We also got some of Jose's corals, it's pretty cool to see the same stuff in your tank as we have in ours.

eric&flint

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 03/02/2006, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds like the store is giving you poor advice!
Peabody.... i simply gave Peter the link to the article on Advanced Aquarist about Ca and Alk. i think you misread Peter's post. I did not give him the advise to just add Ca to lower the Alk, that was taken from the article itself.

Peter.... start doing some water changes. i would do a few 25% water changes a week and constantly test the Alk. your Ca at 400 is fine. just add enough to maintain that level.

and before you add anything else to the tank definately buy a skimmer. for a 25 gallon tank you do not need to buy a $200 skimmer. i have an Advanced Aquarium Excaliber SV 100 with modified Maxi-Jet 1200 that was recomended to me by Rod's Reef. it works quite well. i think i paid around $125.

also, i'm guessing your phosphates are rather high so buy some Phosguard (or other phosphate remover) and place some in your sump so that it gets some water flow. try to pick out that Caulerpa in the display tank. the more it grows the more difficult it will be to control.

finally, be careful where you place that xenia. it will spread like crazy and end up in spots where you don't want it. i would place it on a rock in the sandbed so that it is isolated.
Old 03/02/2006, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

2 other comments.......

1. the article i gave you states "If this problem is extreme (i.e., you are far from the line at the right hand edge of zone 3), then water changes may be the best way to correct to the problem." this certainly applies to your Alk issues.

2. once you do get you Ca and Alk in check then use a 2 part system like ESV's B-Ionic
Old 03/03/2006, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
....I also got some new corals (sorry for not taking your advice).
Why in the world would you do that if you have chemistry problems and algea/nutrient problems?
Best of luck...I'm out of this thread....
Old 03/04/2006, 06:30 PM
The Clown of the Fish

I currently have a Aqua C Remora skimmer set up to buy. Hopefully it will fit.

"Sometimes if you do the job badly enough, you won't get asked to do it again" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 03/06/2006, 05:55 PM
The Clown of the Fish

I think I finally got the camera working nicely.

Old 03/06/2006, 08:39 PM
The Clown of the Fish

I really like that last picture. It came out really nice.

Old 03/20/2006, 05:05 PM
The Clown of the Fish

If anyone wants to, you can check out my site. www.thecoralreef.com . It is half environmental awareness , half forum. Imput on how user-friendly it is would be appreciated.

Old 04/06/2006, 11:23 PM
The Clown of the Fish

SKIMMER

I just got a skimmer! It is a AquaC Remora skimmer with a Mag 3 and surface skimming attatchment. It is sooo cool, but still has a few kinks to work out.

Old 04/19/2006, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Hey man, made it over to the thread, everything is looking great... keep up the good work. I see you also a student, how old are you?
Old 04/23/2006, 03:11 PM
The Clown of the Fish

Im 16. Stay off the road

Old 04/23/2006, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

haha good stuff.. aqua c remora is a good choice... but with your corals dieing.. did you acclimate it correctly? and i liked your first aquascaping you had.. it had a nice grotto...

but keep it up.

btw... nice house, looks like the house on Home Alone.. haha