Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/01/2008, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

oh yeah, im gonna be setting up the tank and sump on this 1/2" thick foam.
huh, i hada picture but i dont know where it went? anyways its just a roll of foam used for camping so you have something padded to sleep on.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

man. nobody actually cares about atank under 75g huh??? bummer for me...
Old 01/02/2008, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

lol, I think it's neat, and I'm sure that once people start popping in and out of your thread it will get more attention. Very nice and sturdy stand!! I've never seen a corian tank before - it's really cool!
Old 01/02/2008, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismunn
ha, thats y i dont have a thread about my tank..
Old 01/02/2008, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

thats interesting, I like how the overflow is a couple of slots, and its a DIY tank to boot.

Makes me want one in the 220 gallon range-but not the whole 'I'm afraid its going to blow' part.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

thoes are intersting dimentions m1enbo1... ide like to see it! i wish i would have built this tank 24x24 and not 24x9.5. maybe next time? i tell you what tho, next time im using acrylic.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

swanwillow, there are ways to make it so that its stable at that size, but it would be more than its worth for a home sysem. plus, that material is like 5x more $ per square foot than acrylic is.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:17 PM
TRC Leader

I had to subscribe, so that I don't miss it when your tank blows apart.

The stand looks nice and square. What size tank will go on it?
Old 01/04/2008, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

you read the part about the tank blowing up but you missed the dimentions? cant pass up the opportunity to watch a disaster in progress eh marc? you wont find such luck here my friend. ive been testing it for the past few months. its fine. hopefully by next year it will be held together by a nice encrustation of GSP covering the walls.

its roughly 24"x9.5"x9.5" with an 20"x5"x8" overflow box, and built of corian. that stand is way overbuilt. i just had an extreme urge to frame something! im sure i could have gotten away with building the whole thing out of ply, but im just so desperatly attracted to 2x4's, i couldnt pass up the opportunity!
Old 01/04/2008, 05:00 PM
TRC Leader

Oh, for some reason I thought (because I didn't actually read everything) that you were setting up a new tank but showing us that one you made in California.

The reason I was asking about tank size was to consider the weight involved. 2x4s are stronger when they are up on end rather than laying flat. With plywood securely attached to the 2x4s, they shouldn't bow though.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

there was a couple of reasons i layed them flat instead of standing up. the greater of reasons being, im lazy and inexperienced
Old 01/04/2008, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

wow. the main tank is amazing. love the matrial . looks stunning !. would make a great big tank material.. but probs cost/weigh stupid amounts ! good work so far
Old 01/04/2008, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

well thanks for the kind words NWD. aside from the impracticality of this material, i really like this tank too. but i bet you if i hadnt built it myself, i probably wouldnt care all that much. haha.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

good job with picture details.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismunn
cool little tank, I bet ya if this was on the nano thread you'd get plenty of hits.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

probably right?

well im going to get the ply from HD today, but i forgot to get my skilsaw from my work truck yesterday, and now its locked up for the weekend, so i wont be able to get anything cut till next weekend probably? bummer. maybe ill find time sometime this week, but probably not....
on the up side, i was able to order my SCWD last night, and maybe my wife will let me go get the 10g tank that i need for the sump? who knows, we'll see?
Old 01/05/2008, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

yay more lumber! i got a sheet of 3/4" birch ply, and some 1x2's to trim it out. i learned from the last lumber run that using 100' of climbing rope to tie down a few pieces of wood is a pain in the neck, so i bought some wratcheting tie down straps. i dont like the wood i bought for the trim, and i wish i would have bought something else. i need to be able to mitre the edges of the trim boards, buti dont have a table saw, so what i have in mind as far as installing trim goes, is not going to look all that great. as a matter of fact ide go as far as to say that it will look like crap! thats ok because trip can always be ripped off and replaced. i just dont want to see a raw plywood edge. one thing im struggling with is a door. im not a cabinet builder,and i dont know how to make a door. i have an idea of which i will use, but its going to be pretty hoaky as far as fine cabinetry is concerned.

wood

and this is the foam for the tanks to rest on

Old 01/05/2008, 03:44 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

i must admit I think that tank is really really nice. I just love it when people stray from the ordinary.

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 01/05/2008, 04:49 PM
TRC Leader

You can buy rolls of 3/4" wide plywood vinear (wow, I don't know how to spell that!) that has glue on the back. You simply cut it with a utility knife and using an iron, heat it to melt to the plywood. No raw edges, ready to paint or stain.

For 1x2 or 1x3 trim, I prefer poplar wood over pine.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

thanks chevegan, im glad you like it!

melev, poplar over pine? to be honest with you i have no idea the difference between one wood and another! i have no idea what thoes trim pieces i bought are? they arent actually for trim tho, i know that. the only reason i know that the ply i bought is birch is because thats what the tag said at home depot. i was actually just looking for the cheapest piece of finished ply. i have seen that stuff your talking about tho, the veneer. i thought about it, but ive never used it before. i wanna stay in the area that im framiliar with here.
i added my trim pieces today, and will fill inbetween the trim with ply to flush up with the trim. (different right?)... another thing im changing is instead of putting the tank on foam, im gonna put it on granite. ill have some pics here after dinner...
Old 01/05/2008, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

ok, so here is the corner trim caps fastened directly to the frame

you will notice that the trim overhangs the frame with a 3/4" reveal.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

the vertical trim pieces join together with a butt joint, and the horizantal trim joins with a miter.

wasnt sure which lighting would be easier to see?
Old 01/05/2008, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

the tape measure shows the 3/4" overhang off the face of the framing. the plywood panels will be cut to a dimention 1/8" less than the opening in the trim. that way the panels can rest inside the opening with a 1/16" gap all the way around. since the trim boards have the 3/4" reaveal past the framing, the 3/4" plywood panel faces should flush up to the trim board faces. the entire front panel will be a door, and the left side panel will be a ddoor. the right side panel will be secure, and i dont know if i want there to be a back panel or not? ill probably end up putting a piece of 1/8" luan to cover the back, and then ill probably cover the interior walls with some 1/2" thick foamboard for sound proof insulation. we'll see what happens with that. this is staring to cost more than had budgeted for. the bottom interior will be plywood covered with foam. and i will caulk and paint the entire interior of the stand. the top of the stand will be a granite insert that sits inside the trim boards. the granite will be 3cm (1 1/4" thick) and will stick out above the trim by 3/4". not quite sure what color granite or stain i will be using yet?
Old 01/05/2008, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

one thing i forgot to adress is the exposed raw edges of the plywood doors. that veneer you mentiond is like paper thin right marc? (if its what im thinking of) perhaps i will go ahead and give that stuff a go on the raw edges?
another thing im not quite sure how to mount are the hinges? i dont want exposed hinges, but since the back side of the doors will close up againstthe framing, i wont be able to add the euro style hinges i want unless i hack away the framing where the hinges wil be mounted.... hmmmm?
Old 01/05/2008, 09:54 PM
SpEd Man

Instead of door and worrying with hinges etc. you could just mount your piece of ply with magnets recessed into the ply and 2x4s. Then mount some handles to it so you can just remove the whole thing to access the inside. Just and idea. I really like the tank!