Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/11/2008, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
So this is what I am thinking for the new setup:

Oceanic Tech 120g In-Wall Bare Bottom (starboard)
Home Made 40" stand
75g sump with 4 chambers (1 settle, 1 skimmer, 1 possible frag section, 1 return)
ASMGxx 4 Skimmer (still looking into this to change out)
Marco Rocks and Figi Live Rock mixture from 75g
2 x 150w DE MH Phoenix 14k on Reef Optix III fixtures and Ice Cap Ballasts (same as 75)

I am still thinking about things. I don't know if the 4 chamber sump is a good idea or not. The idea would be low flow to settle to make it easier to siphon out prior to getting to the skimmer.

I am not planning on much if any SPS so I am hoping the 150 MH will be enough. They are bleaching my 75 quite a bit so I think I will be okay for what I want to keep.

I am planning on lots of flow to keep things moving. I am having a lot of nitrate problems with my eel and tang so I wanted to try something different. I also do not plan on running a fuge with chaeto.. but rather high skimming and high flow.

Really interested in thoughts and comments.
One of our club members has a 180G and tried ristricting flow to the skimmer to help it perform better. What he found was that more flow through the skimming section was better than low flow for his Euro-reef.

Have you thought about trying the RDSB in a bucket for nitrate reduction? its a long read but it seems to be working for lots of people.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:59 AM
clownfish fan

new tank idea sounds great i love the 120g tech tanks.

Add some t5 actinics and switch the 150W bulbs to 10k and you will have plenty of light for whatever you want.
i run the same pendants and bulbs but in 250W with 300w ballasts and i am not bleaching my 50g.... for 120 i think adding t5 supplliments and switching to a 10k will get you by just fine.

RDSB i an excellent nitrate reducer for BB tanks.

Last edited by GSMguy; 01/11/2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

I can't speak from personal experience, but I have spent to many hours on here researching. You should look into a das or octopus skimmer. They seem to give you the best bang for the buck. I plan on getting an octopus. Octopus has a new extereme line coming out. I'm holding off on ordering until I see if the extreme line is worth it.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:05 PM
TRC Leader

I would stick with EuroReef. An RS-135 would do the job nicely, and fit in your sump. The downward thrust of the water draining will make the detritus travel, so you might as well just drain the water into a corner bubble tower in the same section as the skimmer. You still can siphon it out.

The frag section will require a light over it, which may grow algae inside the skimmer. Cleaning it often will prevent it, or do a major soak (vinegar & water; muriatic acid & water) will get it back to brand new again.

I don't like external skimmers either as I used to have one that flooded my fish room way more times than I can count.

120g?? What happened to the 480g?
Old 01/11/2008, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Marc. I've got the ER 250 on my 150, and it does a pretty good job.

I just rebuilt my sump to use the sections a little better (view here or here for detials), and am thinking a bit of doing frags in the middle section (water now flows from skimmer - frag section/settling area - return section). The middle section should be easy enough to siphon unless you really load it up with frags.

The red house. Click it!!
Old 01/11/2008, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

I purchased a RS-100 for my 90 gallon on ebay, new for a very reasonable price, way under retail. Service was great and I am happy with my skimmer. If you would like to know the store, send me a PM.

It just takes some shopping around, but high quality items are out there for a great price.

I don't know the service at other manufacturers, but Chip at EuroReef is phenomenal.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Ive got the RS-135 on my 90g it took quite a long while for it to break in but not it finally has and is skimming like mad. When I upgrade one day to a 180g i will be going with a RS-250 or BM 250
Old 01/11/2008, 06:44 PM
clownfish fan

Unless your getting the ER with eheim pumps, IE the big ones, they are not worth it IMO. similar performace can be had from the octos, for less cashola.
its the Eheims that are so great, H&S and ATB use them as well.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:53 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by bohlke
One of our club members has a 180G and tried ristricting flow to the skimmer to help it perform better. What he found was that more flow through the skimming section was better than low flow for his Euro-reef.

Have you thought about trying the RDSB in a bucket for nitrate reduction? its a long read but it seems to be working for lots of people.
Thanks for the info. I have not heard about that, I will read up on that tonight and see what it's about.

I wasn't really trying to restrict flow to the skimmer... my thought was trying to create a settlement "tank" like they do in koi filtration. Not sure how I would create that though and keep high flow to the skimmer.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:56 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
new tank idea sounds great i love the 120g tech tanks.

Add some t5 actinics and switch the 150W bulbs to 10k and you will have plenty of light for whatever you want.
i run the same pendants and bulbs but in 250W with 300w ballasts and i am not bleaching my 50g.... for 120 i think adding t5 supplliments and switching to a 10k will get you by just fine.

RDSB i an excellent nitrate reducer for BB tanks.
I like the tech tanks too =)

Thanks, adding some T5's is a good idea. That way I could create the dusk/dawn effect as well.

I really don't know why I've had so much trouble with bleaching.. but I have.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:58 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by jefnalyssa
I can't speak from personal experience, but I have spent to many hours on here researching. You should look into a das or octopus skimmer. They seem to give you the best bang for the buck. I plan on getting an octopus. Octopus has a new extereme line coming out. I'm holding off on ordering until I see if the extreme line is worth it.
I saw the extreme ones too.. but I am hesitant on spending that kind of money on something new that is not proven. I already have a ASM G3, so if I am going to purchase something, I want something significantly better.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have not heard about that, I will read up on that tonight and see what it's about.

I wasn't really trying to restrict flow to the skimmer... my thought was trying to create a settlement "tank" like they do in koi filtration. Not sure how I would create that though and keep high flow to the skimmer.
Its a long read give yourself plenty of time. I plan to fill a 5G hex tank (that I am currently using as a fuge) with sugar sized sand and run it off of the intake of my sump. I am hoping that it makes up for not doing a DSB in the main display.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:01 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I would stick with EuroReef. An RS-135 would do the job nicely, and fit in your sump. The downward thrust of the water draining will make the detritus travel, so you might as well just drain the water into a corner bubble tower in the same section as the skimmer. You still can siphon it out.
Yea, the problem now in my current sump it's so hard to get into it with the skimmer in there.

I think I would probably go with the RS 250 if I bought one.. It's about $478 from what I can find.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:02 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
120g?? What happened to the 480g?
I chose a new bedroom set over the 240 =)
Old 01/11/2008, 09:05 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by crvz
I agree with Marc. I've got the ER 250 on my 150, and it does a pretty good job.

I just rebuilt my sump to use the sections a little better (view here or here for detials), and am thinking a bit of doing frags in the middle section (water now flows from skimmer - frag section/settling area - return section). The middle section should be easy enough to siphon unless you really load it up with frags.
lol hi crvz! That's so funny I was just talking to you on the other site...

Thanks for the info I'm going to read your sump build thread tonight. I love your tank.

Would you buy the 250 again or go elsewhere?
Old 01/11/2008, 09:06 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Schwe
I purchased a RS-100 for my 90 gallon on ebay, new for a very reasonable price, way under retail. Service was great and I am happy with my skimmer. If you would like to know the store, send me a PM.

It just takes some shopping around, but high quality items are out there for a great price.

I don't know the service at other manufacturers, but Chip at EuroReef is phenomenal.
Thanks, PM sent!
Old 01/11/2008, 09:08 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeeee
Ive got the RS-135 on my 90g it took quite a long while for it to break in but not it finally has and is skimming like mad. When I upgrade one day to a 180g i will be going with a RS-250 or BM 250
It took a bit for my ASM to break in too. I am thinking the 250 as well.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:09 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
Unless your getting the ER with eheim pumps, IE the big ones, they are not worth it IMO. similar performace can be had from the octos, for less cashola.
its the Eheims that are so great, H&S and ATB use them as well.
No, I can't afford all that and really don't want to get into the large skimmers... I'm just trying to find something good for what I am doing.

My tang and eel are *very* dirty so I need extra skimming that most 120's probably would not.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:10 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by bohlke
Its a long read give yourself plenty of time. I plan to fill a 5G hex tank (that I am currently using as a fuge) with sugar sized sand and run it off of the intake of my sump. I am hoping that it makes up for not doing a DSB in the main display.
Hmmm... yea I might have to skim it then =) Pun intended lol.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Mine took about 6months+ to break in lol! I am so happy it is finally running perfect. I dont even want to upgrade atm because i dont want to go through all that AGAIN lol. The 120g is a very nice tank though..i am a bit jealous..my bro has one and the few inches extra back to front is quite a difference. It works quite nice as a small room divider. He has it dividing the kitchen and living room. The 250 would do well and would even work when u want to upgrade later on to the 180,240 or w/e it is .
Old 01/11/2008, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Oh I hope you dont mind me posting this..but i thought i would share my new Dendrobates ventrimaculatus "Iquitos Red and Orange" frogs i got over christmas. I got a trio and the second day i added them i already hear them calling! woohoo. Sorry its not a great pic because well my camera is crap since i dont have my nikon d80 yet
anyway enough talking here is one of my little guys!

Old 01/11/2008, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Hmmm... yea I might have to skim it then =) Pun intended lol.
Sorry, I'm a sucker for horrible jokes!!!!
Old 01/11/2008, 10:34 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeeee
Mine took about 6months+ to break in lol! I am so happy it is finally running perfect. I dont even want to upgrade atm because i dont want to go through all that AGAIN lol. The 120g is a very nice tank though..i am a bit jealous..my bro has one and the few inches extra back to front is quite a difference. It works quite nice as a small room divider. He has it dividing the kitchen and living room. The 250 would do well and would even work when u want to upgrade later on to the 180,240 or w/e it is .
lol thanks =)

Oh I love your dart frog! He's wicked! PM me details I want to know all about them and their setup. I must have one!!! lol
Old 01/11/2008, 10:40 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
Sorry, I'm a sucker for horrible jokes!!!!
lol
Old 01/11/2008, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
lol hi crvz! That's so funny I was just talking to you on the other site...

Thanks for the info I'm going to read your sump build thread tonight. I love your tank.

Would you buy the 250 again or go elsewhere?
Thanks! I would consider the 250 again, I've been really happy with their service and the product is a good choice... but for some reason lately I'm being drawn to the ATI BubbleMaster skimmers. The ATI BM200 is more than I paid for the ER CS250 that I've got, but it just seems like a good product. I'd have to do research to really convince myself, though.

The red house. Click it!!