Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/12/2006, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Feeding

Hello,
I have been feeding my fish a home mix (shrimp, crab, scallops, octopus...) that i blend and freeze. I do so because I worry about all the jelly preserves that surround the bought food that I have tried and because I save money by doing so.

But now I am trying to be a little more serious about my hobby. I am starting a new aquarium from bits of my old one and I have just a few damsels to cycle the aquarium. I was wondering if I could continue with this fresh then frozen diet or if people would suggest buying the store bought stuff.

Cheers,
Jay
Old 07/12/2006, 02:40 PM
My Life for Aiur!

If your fish will eat it, there should be no problem. I do recommend removing the damsels to cycle the aquarium. There are more humane ways to cycle an aquarium such as adding uncured live rock, or adding extra food or a piece of raw shrimp left to decompose.

Oh, make sure that the food in your mush does not contain preservatives such as phosphates, Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), etc.
Old 07/12/2006, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

+ 1

no need for the damsels.
Old 07/12/2006, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

The damsels were left over from my old aquarium, I didn't get them especially for the cycling. It was either I put them in my new setup or sell them. I thought I was being nice to them by keeping them... I didn't think that it would be inhumane...

Is it really a problem? they are only three small damsels in a 50 gal. I've been checking the water and there is no water quality problems. And they seem fine and eat well. Are you suggesting I get rid of them?

Cheers,
Jay
Old 07/12/2006, 03:22 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by inadaze
The damsels were left over from my old aquarium, I didn't get them especially for the cycling. It was either I put them in my new setup or sell them. I thought I was being nice to them by keeping them... I didn't think that it would be inhumane...

Is it really a problem? they are only three small damsels in a 50 gal. I've been checking the water and there is no water quality problems. And they seem fine and eat well. Are you suggesting I get rid of them?

Cheers,
Jay
It's a matter of ethics and personal opinion. I can't and won't actively try to sway anyone's beliefs, but will feel free to post my opinion. If you feel swayed by my opinion, I'm either sorry that I did that because it wasn't my intention or happy to see someone that cares about their livestock; whichever the case may be.

The reason I feel cycling with damsels is a problem is because even the slightest ammonia can have lasting damage to a fish's overall health. It's kind of like a pregnant mother drinking alcohol. When the baby is born, there might not be any outward signs of problems, but the child could be seriously damaged. There is also the problem of territory. Damsels command a large amount of territory. Usually while they are small or juveniles, it isn't much of a problem, but they will quickly find a pecking order and as they grow will harrass or kill anything that comes into it's territory, including previously established/tolerated fish. Also, they are very difficult to get out of an established tank. Often getting them out causes great stress on other livestock in the tank. Whether you choose to chase it with a net, pull out all the rock, drain the tank, etc, it is something that could have been avoided from the start. I guess, in short, it would be my opinion that you should take them out and find a tank that is either better suited for them or an aquarist that has the intention on keeping them properly.
Old 07/12/2006, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

boy, I am sorry I put them in. Seriously, I did not think that it would be that bad. I will take them out and find a better home for them. and I will know better next time.

Never thought of things like that.
cheers,
Jason