Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/26/2003, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Can someone Identify?

Hi,
There are two things in my aquarium which i cannot identify. It's really starting to bug me...
The first are these really small white balls with short white tentacles ( hair thin) around them. They cling onto my algae on the glass and such. There is probably a hundred of them.
Also, I've found three or four of these honeycomb-like things on my glass behind my live rock. They look like white bee-hives and they're about the size of a coin.
Sorry my discriptions were so lame. If someone can tell me what they are, or if I should get rid of them for that matter, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Jay
Old 09/26/2003, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

inadaze -

Descriptions are subjective and without a picture it is difficult to tell.

What you describe as white balls with tentacles could most be certain pods which we all strive for. They are animals that breed in a healthy tank and help feed the captive reef.

The honeycomb item sounds like it could be a type of sponge. Again this can be the sign of a healthy reef.

If it's any of these items, neither is bad for your tank.
Old 09/26/2003, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Not too sure of the first, the second is likely eggcases of some kind. Try browsing the Ask Dr. Ron forum. He is the resident invert. expert. Also try some of the Reefkeeping online mag. issues @ www.reefkeeping.com

HTH!
They look at the sea all day."
Robert Frost