Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/10/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Euro Reef/Life Reef skimmers

I'm currently in the process of putting together an oceanic 58g RR and have decided between a euroreef or lifereef skimmer. I spoke to Jeff and he had some valid points in regards to ease in maintenance of the lifereef due to no needlewheel being involved among some other issues. Any opinions on the pros/cons of these two skimmers?
Old 11/10/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

I would get a DAS EX1 but between those 2 choices. ER for sure
Old 11/10/2007, 03:12 PM
Generic Member

wildjoe

To Reef Central
Old 11/10/2007, 04:25 PM
Moved On

I don't think you can beat the price on a ER RS80 and it's just right for a 58g setup.
Old 11/10/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking of going one step up to the RS 100. I was also wondering if the euroreef was any more quiet/noisy due to the design. Also thanks not only for the quick replies but also the overwhelming amount of information that this site provides. I have been lurking/researching for about 2 months and have used forums for info on other hobbies but Reefcentral has organized it's forum quite well and the overwhelming amount of support from experienced reefers is a great resource. I look forward to posting some build pics./threads once I get things going.
Old 11/10/2007, 05:34 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Coming from having owned both a Lifereef VS2-24 and a EuroReef 8-2 (with upgraded Sedra9000 pump) that the Euroreef skims much better, but the Lifereef was just so darn consistent. the LifeReef never ever had to be adjusted, never overflowed, was in variable height water levels with no problem. My ER skims well, but it does occasionally overflow, and it's difficult getting a consistent skimming performance. Do take notice though that a needlewheel or venturi skimmer will be 100 times more consistent (maybe even more so) than a beckett skimmer, however will not skim as well either.

HTH and good luck with your setup
Old 11/10/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Thats not true lifereefs do overflow I have been using them for years if they are not set above the water line at some point they will overflow.Don't get me wrong they do work.But if it's venturi you are looking for take a look at the elos ns 500
Old 11/10/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

This will be an in sump skimmer so please clarify the " above water line" limit you are refering to. I love the ELOS system probably better than any other brand I have seen but you are the first person to refer to their skimmers. No dealers in my area are vendors and all of the postings I have seen are in regards to the tanks or lighting so any info on your experience would be helpful. The system I am setting up is a 58g RR so I am trying to stay as simple and maint. free as psosssible-and let me clarify that when I refer to maint. free-I mean I want to get my set up as close as possible to what I want from the beginning in order to have my focus on the tank and livestock itself other than upgrading equipment.
Old 11/11/2007, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

I refered to ELOS because you seemed to lean the way of a venturi skimmer JMO if you are running this insump it doesn't matter if it overflow's.Jeff makes a good product and customer service is good.That said I think the foot print on the ns500 is smaller the quality of the build looks to me like it's better less thumb screws on the elos of all the people that own these skimmers not one complant, they come with the pump. You can contact Jesse direct.I have used the 24,36,and the 60inch lifereef no matter what Jeff tells you the venturi will clog they all do.If you like to skim wet the o-ring that holds the cup to the body will leak kind of a cheap way to have the cup connect to the body for an expensive skimmer. What I ment the skimmer needs to be at water line is if you are running this skimmer external to avoid overflow's you must raise the skimmer body so the base is setting at the approx. water line of the sump.I don't know why that just how it is this has been the olny fix to this problem I have found. good luck.