Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Orlando Reef Caretakers Association (ORCA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 07:27 PM
Super DOOPER Member

Exclamation : ( can someone tell me if this is bad!

I think my poor clownfish got stung by either my rabbitfish or lionfish in her eye......it is all puffed up like pop-eye, and it looks like there are three small puncture wounds on the eye itself....is that deadly to the fish? she seems fine, but IDK what i should do!!!
Old 12/11/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

hrm,

if the fish is eating and acting normal...I would say just keep an eye on it...not much you can do at this point...Do you have a QT tank? maybe keep it medicated to prevent a secondary infection?

Jeff
Old 12/11/2007, 07:33 PM
Super DOOPER Member

i do, but last week i had to enpty it out and move it...so it isnt ready for anything
Old 12/11/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

couldn't resist Seth !! LOL !!
Old 12/11/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

I doubt your fish got stung. I would bet my bucks the fish has a case of pop eye. Not much you can do except keep the water crystal clear. I mean changes all the time and run carbon feed lighter if you can crank up that skimmer keep the water immaculate and the infection will subside. It depends on how early you caught it as to whether the fish keeps the eye. But one eye fish are still great fish. I had one he was special to my heart.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigginapk
couldn't resist Seth !! LOL !!
thats great mad me laugh lol
Old 12/11/2007, 08:13 PM
Super DOOPER Member

ok here are some pics......

Old 12/11/2007, 08:15 PM
On The M0VE

Seth, google popeye. That maybe what he has...
Old 12/11/2007, 08:16 PM
Super DOOPER Member

i have never had a fish with popeye, doe shte eye just fall off after a while? i hope my baby will be ok
Old 12/11/2007, 08:36 PM
:)

if you get the water perfect like said above it should fix the problem. you have to catch it fast or i have seen them stay like that.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:38 PM
Super DOOPER Member

ok, i will see what i can do right now
Old 12/11/2007, 09:25 PM
Reefneck.

Yeah well mine moves! Tee-hee!

Sorry about your fish Seth! Keep us updated on how she is doing!

~Becca
Old 12/12/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Seth, pop-eye maybe but I think it's a big ol ICH blob on him or some form of bacterial infection. Looks like it's only on the eye lens from the pic. Pop eye extends up from below the pupil abd swells the eye out from the socket. In either case they are right keep him eating and the water clean. Consider adding a small amount of garlic juice (1/4-1/8 tea spoon right from the jar from the store but don't let the minced pieces fall in) to the water to stimulate his eating. Soaking his food in it would also be great too and is considered to have a healing effect on fish for many ailments. Also consider dosing with 1/2 rec. dose of Kordon ICH ATTACK will help. The blend of things that come in it will help with many problems he might be having. (Note: NOT "RID ICH" also by Kordon which is not reef safe and too strong!)
if this works you should see an improvement by the 4th day. If it is as I suspect ICH and it's that bad he could already be in peril so act quick! Good luck!

Last edited by SoundsFishy2me2; 12/12/2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12/14/2007, 12:45 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Hey Seth...looks either bacterial or perhaps a fluke (I really don't see any other evidence of flukes on the fins, but this is commonly what they will look like if they get around the eye).

If it's bacterial, it may go away by itself. Make sure your water quality is top notch so as not to irritate the eye more. Google Beta Gluten and see if you think that's an option as there's evidence that when added to the food, helps fish heal up quickly (I use it myself for my fish at home). You should be able to get it from any health food section. It's said to boost a fish's immune system to help fight off disease and infection.

My male bellus had a cloudy eye last week after the move to the new 215, but it cleared up by itself in about three or four days. Sometime the stress of trying to catch it will just make the problem worse.

MY GSM developed a very similiar eye problem about 3 years ago when I moved to a larger tank. Hers didn't clear up after about a week, and I couldn't catch her (she was my first fish ever so I was panicked I was going to lose her)...so I treated the tank with Melafix. I don't really recommend this as there are some that say they had some feather dusters and a few inverts that didn't make it through the treatment, but I've never had a problem and I've used it several times for extreme situations. But it is there as an option if you get desperate. Yell if I can do anything to help and please let us know how everything turns out!
Old 12/14/2007, 10:13 AM
SPS Freak

If you have a QT tank, I would treat him seperately. Give him 2 days to see if it gets better. If it doesn't, then you will want to treat him. From what I remember, I believe it can lead to blindness if not treated in that eye.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

something easy and very low impact is melafix. just make sure to turn the skimmer off during treatment.
Old 12/17/2007, 08:01 AM
Broke

IMO looks like bacterial infection,any stress lately?Do a wc
good luck
Old 12/17/2007, 08:34 AM
Reefneck.

Hey Seth, its been a few days...how is is the fish doing?

~Becca