Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy,

Welcome to the "other than a few problems, I love my RSM" club. I complained enough to get a replacement skimmer and pumps, as I thought I had faulty parts...still have the same issues with MB.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:29 AM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - the original RSMs had a black spong that was 8 inches! When I got my tank it came with a 4 inch sponge, even though the Red Sea site had a recommendation to cut the 8 inch back to 4 inches. I guess they already had made that change in the newer versions going out. But, even 4 inches is too much. Design flaws yes, but all the nano tanks seem to have them, not just the RSM.

Hodge - that filter may be just what I've been looking for, but with no RSM skimmer to support it I'm not sure it would work. It doesn't clip on the tank rim does it? If it does I'll try it.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Yes yes pinky....
I have gotten 2 new fans and new led night lights
I need a new fan again though!
i cut the pad as well, i didn't at first but then realized that it would help the flow of things.
Also i change the white pad frequently, I alos dose phytofeast daily. lol.
Old 12/05/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

reefmack,

I have the filter attached to my Korilia #1 power cord (which runs along the top of the cable tray) using the plastic clip that comes with the filter cartridge. It hold it in place quite well.
The Korilia power cable is held in place (parallel with the edge of the cable tray) with a couple air pump hose suction cups I had kicking around.
Old 12/05/2007, 01:05 PM
Genuine reef addict

Thanks Hodge - I'll have to look into getting a pack of those filters & try it.
Old 12/05/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Hodge:

I was just at petco and saw those exact filters. I will have to get them the next time. Just curious if anyone is running an external canister filter to supplement the filtration on the Max. I was looking at the Fluval 05 and Eheim Ecco lines today. These canisters are a lot larger than I thought and hold an enormous amount of material. Any thoughts of the pros and cons of running one on the max.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Im using a Fluval 405 with mine to pump the chiller and also have chemical filtration in it with LR rubble. So now I dont need to have any media in the back of the tank I dont have problems with micro bubbles either.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Leo77:

How do you like the 405? Is it easy to maintain? How do you have it plumbed to the max?
Old 12/05/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart60611
Leo77:

How do you like the 405? Is it easy to maintain? How do you have it plumbed to the max?
it too easy it takes about 10min to take the sponges out and give them a good wash and put them back...no water spils and you dont have to be cliff-hanger to get into the tank either.
You'll see at the rear of the tank is a oval piece that can pop out, the flow & suction pipes go through there. The suction goes on the skimmer side of the devide and the flow on the side of the heater.

Old 12/05/2007, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

The Aquafuge 2 is installed. The only big issue is making sure that you have something to keep the fuge upright, as pushing back puts too much pressure on the intake and causes a leak. Pictures and instructions are available on my aquafuge installation page.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:11 PM
Genuine reef addict

Nice idea Leo! Looks good - multifunction on using the fluval as a chiller pump.

Iostream - the fuge looks good! I'm sure you'll figure out something to replace the lens box, but that works, and unless you look in back it doesn't show up anyway. Paint the box black and it'll look like it's part of the equipment!
Old 12/05/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys abd gals,
This morning I installed my mbdave skimmer mod upgraded with the 3/4" PVC vice CPVC outlet pipe, "a big difference"! Much easier to control skimmer level. Also doing this mod has motivated me to start another skimmer (complete build) As it goes I will keep you updated, "Sorry I will be tight on pic's" (last mod Pinky dowmloaded and sent to the engineers) and I'm not giving Red Sea any freebies!!!~ I have contacted another RSM owner to try the prototype at the same time as I do to see how it works. I'm hoping it will be a "drop in" upgrade to cover many problems with the unit we all love and hate THE RSM!!!

Chow,
Dave
Old 12/05/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leo77
it too easy it takes about 10min to take the sponges out and give them a good wash and put them back...no water spils and you dont have to be cliff-hanger to get into the tank either.
You'll see at the rear of the tank is a oval piece that can pop out, the flow & suction pipes go through there. The suction goes on the skimmer side of the devide and the flow on the side of the heater.

So you run a Fluval as well then? No complaints about the Fluval? About 10 years ago I had a 20 long reef tank and I used a "Skilter" and a Fluval for filtration. I used HATE cleaning the fluval it would flood everything.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

My question is why? Is rock and the skimmer nor enough? Forgive me for questioning your techniques but my couriosity is screaming to know.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 12/05/2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

I have 2 fluval 404s laying around, and I considered doing the same thing, but abandoned my plans due to space requirements. Basically the advantages I saw for a fluval with LR were increased water volume, good pod breeding area, and some place I could drop in carbon or chemi-pure if needed.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:08 PM
Genuine reef addict

I might try the cannister for chemical media too, but I already have too much extra "stuff" on my tank to even consider it

mbdave - The new skimmer mod sounds like a winner - I hope it tests out well. No pics sounds like the best course to take on this one. I sent you a PM (2) on a different issue.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:22 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hodge & Y-DesygnGuy - I was just reading the RSM pictures thread that has turned into feline pics, and now possibly going to the "dogs":

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=2

Based on the last post I just read are you two possibly long lost twins? Genetically related? Linked via ESP?
Old 12/05/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
Hodge & Y-DesygnGuy - I was just reading the RSM pictures thread that has turned into feline pics, and now possibly going to the "dogs":

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=2

Based on the last post I just read are you two possibly long lost twins? Genetically related? Linked via ESP?
ROFL!!

That is to funny! No but we must have very similar tastes in pets thats for sure.
Old 12/05/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
So you run a Fluval as well then? No complaints about the Fluval? About 10 years ago I had a 20 long reef tank and I used a "Skilter" and a Fluval for filtration. I used HATE cleaning the fluval it would flood everything.
I was thinking the same thing. 10+ years ago I had a pair of 405's on a tank and found them hard to get restarted after cleanning them. Maybe they have improved in the past 10 years.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Question: My Oc. Clown is too scared to swim in the rockwork. It just swims towards the front of the tank at the surface all day and night. I took a net and gave him some "encouragement" to go inside the rockwork and noticed that no matter where it was in the rocks my yellow tail damsel would chase it out. They could be on opposite sides of the tank in different sections of the rock and it would still occur.

How can I change this? It seems that my damsel has established a border around the rocks as its territory and about 90% of the tank for that matter.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:23 PM
Genuine reef addict

Titans - my 2 ocellaris never swim in or around the rocks - never have. Their favorite spot is the upper right side, near my Koralia. They'll occasionally swim across the tank, especially at feeding time, but usually are at the upper right side of the tank. They almost always swim side by side, or follow each other, and sleep on the upper right side, near the surface, side by side, waddlimg their way through the night. Sometimes I think one is missing they're so close together. I always assumed clowns are not a fish that hangs around or in the rockwork, based on my two. My damsel and dottyback are in & around the rock, often chasing each other. My big goby lives on a bottom cavern and rules that roost.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

RM - Thanks...learn something new every minute =)
Old 12/05/2007, 09:44 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Quote:
Originally posted by mbdave
My question is why? Is rock and the skimmer nor enough? Forgive me for questioning your techniques but my couriosity is screaming to know.

Thanks,
Dave
I think the rock and the skimmer are enough...

...I won't ever say 'never'...but I don't even have the extra power head...I think I'm good though...unless something changes...

But like Laurent...I clean my black and white filters regularily to min. on excess crap breaking down in the tank...and I rinse a LOT of crud out of them...
Old 12/05/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Damsels are big bullies & IMO if you must have one, they should be the absolute last critter added to the tank, even then they will probably boss everything else around, but at least the others will have a change to establish a territory first! Someone on RC has a little quote in their profile "If damsels were as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear"... I tend to believe them!

For your clowns, find something that they can "host" in. EG in Reefmack's case they have chosen his Koralia. It could be a simple as a cleaning magnet that stays in the one spot near where they hang out. Once the clowns "accept" it, it becomes their territory & they will tend to just "waddle" around it & be far more comfortable. You may then be able to move it (slowly, over a course of days/weeks) & they will follow. This way you can help them establish a home that you are happy with. Once established they are more likely to defend themselves, even against a damsel!
Old 12/05/2007, 09:56 PM
Professional Obfuscator

...for what's it's worth...my 2 clowns and my 2 pajama cardinals are kinda 'schooling' together...meaning they all hang out in very close proximity to each other...kinda funny...