Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/23/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

new anemone and clowns ??

Just bought this nice long tenticle anemone but my clowns are not swiming in it. Is it normal to take a few days for them to accept it? I have posted a pix on my gallery..
Old 06/23/2007, 07:00 PM
Zoa Fanatic

It may take minutes, days, months, or they may not host in it at all.

You just never know.
Old 06/23/2007, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

Mine took literally two months. Also once it's hosted with something else (in my case it hosted with a torch coral), it could take even longer. One reefer told me have patience, more patience, and even more patience! LOL
Old 06/23/2007, 10:11 PM
Zoa Fanatic

My anemone has been in my tank for about 2 weeks now, and my clowns have barely noticed it.
Old 06/23/2007, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

I read somewhere on the www that if you tape a picture of a clown hosting with an anemone, the others will 'get the picture' and host with yours. I tried it on mine but my other fish freaked out so I didn't leave it up. If your other fish (or clowns) don't freak out, it might be worth a try? Good luck.
Old 06/24/2007, 01:25 AM
...this is only a test...

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoka
I read somewhere on the www that if you tape a picture of a clown hosting with an anemone, the others will 'get the picture' and host with yours. I tried it on mine but my other fish freaked out so I didn't leave it up. If your other fish (or clowns) don't freak out, it might be worth a try? Good luck.
Do you think that If I put up a picture of me doing a water change that the fish will learn how to do the too?

It may take minutes, days, months, or they may not host in it at all.

My tomato clown took to a frogspawn and never even thought about hosting in the BTA I bought it. I buy my fish presents and you see what thanks I get??!!!
Old 06/24/2007, 02:00 AM
Premium Member

Mine were not interested in the rbta for weeks and I was getting a little nervous. They just swam in place in the corner of my tank anyway, so before I went to bed each night I would get my net and slowly "nudge" them over towards the anemone. They would usually stay there for awhile. After doing that for a few days I woke up one morning with two clowns in a rbta! It can take some time though. (And be careful with them if you try this method! Don't force them too much.)
Old 06/24/2007, 06:40 AM
Copperband Butterfly

What kind of clowns and what kind of anemone? As stated before, some may take to it right away, take days, months, or never even host it. Likely chances are that they host something, but it may not be the anemone. What type of clowns and what anemone did you buy? It is also likely you have clowns with an anemone that they don't host in the wild, which doesn't mean they wouldn't host it, but possible less of a chance.
Old 06/24/2007, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

I have percular clowns and a long tentacle anemone. You can see it on my gallery.
Old 06/24/2007, 08:25 AM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

I had my clowns in my tank for a while, than i bought an LTA, a bit after i introduced it to the tank, the clown fish made their home.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 06/24/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

i bought a GBTA for my tomato clown pair...and then i got a rose just because it was a good price and my tomatos hadnt taken to an anenome yet...about a month later the female took to the BTA and about a week later the male took to the rose...

patience is very important

no nudging i tried this with a diffrent clown it just stressed it out
just let nature take its course

i have also heard that wild caught take to anenomes better than captive bred...thats just what i heard
Old 06/24/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

I bought a clarkii Thursday and put it in the tank with a bta, it hosted within 2 hours. I'm not kidding, i've seen clarkii's at the lfs that that host almost immediately while the perc's that have been in the tank just ignore all anemones in the tank.
Old 06/24/2007, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephish
I bought a clarkii Thursday and put it in the tank with a bta, it hosted within 2 hours. I'm not kidding, i've seen clarkii's at the lfs that that host almost immediately while the perc's that have been in the tank just ignore all anemones in the tank.
Clarkii's are more aggressive than percs. I had two percs that were hosting fine in my BTA but when I introduced a clarkii, he evicted them and took over. Squatter's rights I guess LOL

Fortunately for my percs, the clarkii was found carpet surfing one afternoon and they were able to move back in.
Old 06/24/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stephish
clarkii's are super aggressive i had mine with a LTA and it would bite me as i was wiping the glass because i got to close...it broke the skin most of the time...
Old 06/24/2007, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

I also am interested in seeing if my tomato will make a home in an anemone.

Is there maybe a list of most likely host anemones for different clowns floating around on the net or in a book somewhere?

~Paul
Old 06/24/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wett Hands
I also am interested in seeing if my tomato will make a home in an anemone.

Is there maybe a list of most likely host anemones for different clowns floating around on the net or in a book somewhere?

http://saltaquarium.about.com/librar...lownschart.htm
Old 06/24/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

Talking

thanks for all your replies . I see many other people have the same problem. Got a used r/o seachem water system from a customer and I'm fooling with that now. Have to repl all 3 filters I think he had very dirty water in Reading PA