Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2006, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

sony alpha!!

wee, i finally got the sony alpha! i got it for an incredible price :|
the camera was originally 1100$ cnd at Sony store, however best buy was having a huge sale, and they had a 899$ price tag, and therefore sony store gave me that price too!!
hehe, sorry, just can't hold my joy tooooo excited!!
anyways, im charging it right now, i'll snap some photos tomorrow!!
(i only have the stock lense though .., i'll have to get myself a macro lense for sure!)
Old 12/10/2006, 11:32 PM
RC Mod

Congratulations Looking forward to seeing your photos.
Greg
Old 12/11/2006, 08:47 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

I am VERY interested to see how this camera performs. I've been watching reviews of it for some time now just out of curiosity. What intrigues me most is the anti-shake/image-stabilization/vibration/reduction that is built into the camera body itself rather than individual lenses.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12/11/2006, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Which macro lenses do the sony line offer? are there other brands that fit on it? To be honest I wasn't impressed by it's built it feels too plasticky and for that price I would have gone with a D70s or a bit more for the D80. Guess you have to defend yor choice with some nice pics now.
Old 12/11/2006, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

alright guys, here are a couple of shots.
this is with the stock lense that came along with it
anddd ha, this is my first dslr camera.. so i'm still just getting familiar with it first! but here are the results

my green brain

my cap frag (just started sps)

my crocea clam! (this bad boy is a year old now!)

my dog! (tofu :P)

hehe i'm gonna go get a tripod right now :P im pretty sure it'll be even better! BRB!
Old 12/11/2006, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maroun.c
Which macro lenses do the sony line offer? are there other brands that fit on it? To be honest I wasn't impressed by it's built it feels too plasticky and for that price I would have gone with a D70s or a bit more for the D80. Guess you have to defend yor choice with some nice pics now.
i did think about the nikon d70 and d80, cuz my brother uses d50, and so i was thinking if we can share lenses and stuff.
However, even with the on sale price for d70, it is still running at 999$ cnd, one hundred more than what i paid for the alpha

then theres the d80, which is runnin at 1,590cnd.. so thats out of possiblity. therefore, i think i got a pretty good deal for the alpha, considering it has 10.3 effective megapixles and all other goodies.
Old 12/12/2006, 03:06 AM
Registered Member

Looking good,
Try stopping water circulation as I think some of the noise in the water is because of moving airbubbles. Also did you use a tripod with those?
Just checked the Sony and it's lenses in an earby store and Carl Zeiss lenses sure are good ones. also there is a Sony flash, didn't check it out but it's good to know that there is a flash that would automatically meter with the camera.
100 Canadian more wouldn't have been too much if you get to share lenses you would save a lot more if your brother has got some macro lenses???
Anyway you seem up to a good sart with the Sony, please post some more pics with it once you know all the tricks and get more used to the camera.
Old 12/14/2006, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Did you know the Sony Alpha is supposed to be compatible with any Minolta Maxxum type of lens?(Sony Alpha uses a "Minolta a mount") That open's up a world of available lenses which can often be found used for cheap $$$