Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Coral & Livestock Trading

Old 02/12/2006, 03:03 AM
Moved On

zoanthid thermos trade

well it is time for a zoanthid thermos trade I will start who is in?
Old 02/12/2006, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

I'll be in
Old 02/12/2006, 11:07 AM
Moved On

I am in.
This would be my first time. How do we do it and any other information do you have?
thanks
ryan
Old 02/12/2006, 11:22 AM
I'm not a morning person!

Im in!

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap!
Old 02/12/2006, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

I'd be interested
Drew
Old 02/12/2006, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Sounds good,I have a few polyps of these.
Old 02/12/2006, 12:55 PM
Moved On

This is chain mail for frags! Here's how it works: the 1st person buys a thermos, picks out a frag, and sends it out to the 2nd person on the list. The 2nd person receives the thermos/frag, picks out 1 of his frags, puts it in the thermos and sends it out to the 3rd person on the list, and so on. At the end of the list, the last person will send their frag/thermos to the first person on the list to complete the circle. Everyone gets a new frag, and you only pay for shipping! Since I started this, I will be the first on the list, buy the thermos and send out the first zoas frag. And I'll get my thermos back at the end!
We let this run for anyone who wants to get in on the thermos trade. If you'd like to participate, please post in this thread. On 2/19 at noon, I will let my 12yr old son draw names and post the results on here. If you don't plan on sending your zoas and are not serious about this, PLEASE do not enter. I won't be responsible for anyone backing out and another member not receiving their zoas.
When I will post the names, they will be in the order that their names are drawn. You will need to contact the person listed after your name to get their mailing address.
I hope their are other reefers as excited about this as I am!
Keep in mind, there are no size limits to your frags, but ask yourself if you would want to receive the frag that you will be sending out.
Old 02/12/2006, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

I think everyone should also be prepared to buy heat packs if needed also. I have done a few of these thermos trades and have recieved frozen frags. I have gotten 60 hr. heat packs from a large auction site and they work well for priority shipping.
Old 02/12/2006, 01:38 PM
Moved On

good point you can get heat packs on ebay or from walmart but you need to look at how many hours it is good for. some of the packs we have got from walmart was only good for 10 hr that will not work.
Old 02/12/2006, 02:14 PM
No, I can't ID!

Maggie,

I got your link from my post in the zoanthid forum. Would it be possible to do a trade in a different way? If someone slows their mailing this chain could get really drawn out.

Another suggestion I read would make this thing easier. Everyone gets a number according to how many trades they want to do. Numbers are drawn for each person and they get assigned random trade partners. This way the trading is done instantly and it allows for someone to trade more than one frag or buy frags from their partners.

What do you think about that one?
Old 02/12/2006, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

love a frag swap
Old 02/12/2006, 02:32 PM
No, I can't ID!

Here are some rules people in the last Zoa Swap agreed upon. We can change or alter these any way possible.

-Each person has to supply at least 2 trades with at least 5 polyps on each frag.

-You can contact your trade partner/s for further trades or purchases.

-Don't send your ugliest frags--if we all keep faith and try to circulate frags that are actually nice and desireable, none of us will get stingy because "well, I didn't get a nice frag so I'm gonna send out an ugly one too"...this will be *much* more successful if we avoid sending out the uglies.

- Zoas are sent in a thermos with a heat pack via US mail 2-3 priority service.

- You can offer as many trades as you want. I think I saw someone doing 6 last time.

What do you think?

In the last one someone took the lead and collected names addresses and #of trades. Then he did the pull a number out of the hat deal and assigned partners.
Old 02/12/2006, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

I'M IN ..................
Old 02/12/2006, 02:59 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ficklefins
Here are some rules people in the last Zoa Swap agreed upon. We can change or alter these any way possible.

-Each person has to supply at least 2 trades with at least 5 polyps on each frag.

-You can contact your trade partner/s for further trades or purchases.

-Don't send your ugliest frags--if we all keep faith and try to circulate frags that are actually nice and desireable, none of us will get stingy because "well, I didn't get a nice frag so I'm gonna send out an ugly one too"...this will be *much* more successful if we avoid sending out the uglies.

- Zoas are sent in a thermos with a heat pack via US mail 2-3 priority service.

- You can offer as many trades as you want. I think I saw someone doing 6 last time.

What do you think?

In the last one someone took the lead and collected names addresses and #of trades. Then he did the pull a number out of the hat deal and assigned partners.
we can do this way I will draw names and pair them up. the only thing is when I draw names you are responsable for contacting the other for his or her address. that way there is not one person holding the load.if you want to trade or buy more than one that is up to you and whoever you trade with. I will draw and pair up the names on sunday Feb 19 2006. All Zoas will need to be sent in a thermos with a heat pack via US mail 2-3 priority service.

Last edited by maggiesaqsup; 02/12/2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02/12/2006, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

I guess I'm out of this one as I only have the one kind that I posted a pic of.I have 2 very small ones that I just recieved and they haven't spread yet.I'll try for the next one.
Old 02/12/2006, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

im in im looking for blue zoos
Old 02/12/2006, 03:35 PM
Moved On

changes to zoa trade

we can do this way I will draw names and pair them up. the only thing is when I draw names you are responsable for contacting the other for his or her address. that way there is not one person holding the load.if you want to trade or buy more than one that is up to you and whomever you trade with. I will draw and pair up the names on sunday Feb 19 2006. All Zoas will need to be sent in a thermos with a heat pack via US mail 2-3 priority service and need to be sent out that week.Keep in mind, there are no size limits to your frags, but ask yourself if you would want to receive the frag that you will be sending out
Old 02/12/2006, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maggiesaqsup
changes to zoa trade

we can do this way I will draw names and pair them up. the only thing is when I draw names you are responsable for contacting the other for his or her address. that way there is not one person holding the load.if you want to trade or buy more than one that is up to you and whomever you trade with. I will draw and pair up the names on sunday Feb 19 2006. All Zoas will need to be sent in a thermos with a heat pack via US mail 2-3 priority service and need to be sent out that week.you will want to send something that you would not mind gitting yourself. (no trash)
Sounds good to me
Old 02/12/2006, 04:25 PM
Hmpfh! No more potlucks.

I would like to get in on this as well. Is that all I have to do? Do I need to say something about how many trades I want to do?
Old 02/12/2006, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

hi all..im definately in...i haVe 3 different kinds of frags and be willing to do trade for other colors that i have and my zoas colonies are good sizes to frag and even have 1 thats huge and steadily spreading...i have the lime green ones and some huge flesh/pink colored ones and the green ones with the browninsh center...so im definately in..just let me know when and where..WOOHOO..cant wait for it to start...and i even have my own thermos already...ive done this with cheato before..it works very well...IM IN IM IN IM IN...
Old 02/12/2006, 05:07 PM
Moved On

Ok then I am DEFINITLY in
Old 02/12/2006, 05:27 PM
Student life sucks

Im in....
Old 02/12/2006, 06:10 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by EvilMel
I would like to get in on this as well. Is that all I have to do? Do I need to say something about how many trades I want to do?
if you want me to enter your name more than once let me know. you will need 1 frag per trade.

example I entered my name 2 times so I will have to send two frags out to two different people and will recieve 2 frags in return. If the persons I'm paired up with wants more frags from me then I can choose to do so or not.
Old 02/12/2006, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

yea can we trade with more than one person i have LOTS of zoo's
Old 02/12/2006, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Count us in too!