Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/07/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy Clown fish went blind?

I recently treated my clown and yellow tang in a 10 gallon tank w/ cupramine b/c of ich. They are both ich free now after 6 weeks and are back in the main tank.

I noticed that my clown has had a lot of trouble eating and I believe it went blind. It smells the food when I put it in, and he swims around knowing there's food, but he cannot find it. He also goes to the surface but just sucks up air.

I also tried to wave my hand in front of the glass to see if it would react. My yellow tang does, but my clown just sits there. It was very active before this, and now he just stays in one or two spots the whole day.

Does anyone know of copper being able to blind fish? looks like i got rid of one problem and created another. I have the clown almost 3 years now

Thanks.
Old 04/07/2007, 12:04 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

and no "mrs clown" all this time?

no wonder.
Old 04/07/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

assuming the copper was used as per instructions it would be difficult for anyone to definatively say if it was the copper or the illness that's caused it. Copper causing blindness isn't something i've specifically come across before.

I guess the most important thing to do now is look after it as best you can to see if it's a temporary thing or permanent. I presume there's no physical symtom you could describe?

Best of luck I hope it gets better for you, it sounds like you have done everything you can.
Old 04/07/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frick-n-Frags
and no "mrs clown" all this time?

no wonder.
lol it was actually my first fish when i started the hobby almost 3 yrs ago!

i did use the copper as described, even tested the levels for 2 weeks as stated on the bottle. i do not see any symtoms on its body, eyes or fins.

im hoping its a temporary thing, but the thing im worried about is the clown not eating...i mean, it gets a few flakes, but definitely doesnt/cant eat like it normally did..
thanks for the replies.
Old 04/07/2007, 05:30 PM
Keeper of water boxes.

I had a breakout of ich a while back on a Clarki clown and a Royal gramma.
While researching cures I read several times never to use copper on Clowns, with the exception of chelated copper and then only to use half the dose.
Even at half dose it seemed to take twice as long for the clown to get back to herself as it did the Gramma after treatment.
I havent seen anything about copper causing blindness. It may be some neurological damage. Maybe.

Any for others with Clowns heres a cut/paste of an article at WWM about treating Clowns with copper/meds:

) Chemicals: Last and least. Be careful. Clown fish are like "canaries in a cave". They tend to be sensitive to the same toxins as their host actinarians (anemones). Copper, other metal salts, organic or metallic dyes, furan compounds, and organophosphate pesticides all have deleterious to disastrous effects. These substances in various formulations, comprise most of the "medicine treatments" available and used in our aquatics interest. They do have some limited, appropriate applications in bare marine treatment tanks. 'Nuff said?

These chemical therapeutics are dangerous and unnecessary with Clownfishes. "Experiment" with them only as a last resort.
Old 04/07/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

you removed all the copper after two weeks right?

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 04/08/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

i removed the copper after 2 weeks w/ carbon, and did a 50% water change, followed by 2 more 50% water changes in the last 4 weeks of treatment...so 3 all together.

i did not know clowns were sensitive to copper treatments...I'm wondering if a low salinity treatment would have been safer?
Old 04/08/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

copper is touchy, if u mess it up, its usually real bad.

u used cuppramine right? ive had the best sucess with it. saliferts test kit measures the copper too whitch is hard to find a copper kit that works.

are its eyes cloudy? maybe you should treat it with maracyn.

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-