Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2007, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

I have read all I can,,,

but I have a question. I got my tank set-up. Its all plumbed just waiting on water. Can someone give me the first couple of steps?

Should I add the salt, then Live Rock, then Live Sand? What about the 2 part Calcium stuff for the pending corals? I am not trying to rush things by no means. I dont expect the CUC till after Thanksgiving and maybe corals by Christmas.
Old 11/15/2007, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

I would do water first, but you could also do sand.

If you can wait on the rock it really doesn't matter what order you put the sand and water, but it would probably be easier to fill the tank with water first and add the salt and let it stir up with a powerhead. I'd go abotu 3/4 full so you have room to add sand and rocks.

If you put the sand in after the water its going to make a mess though. It will be cloudy for a day or so. If you go sand first you can cover it with a piece of plastic or something so it doesn't stir up the sand.
Old 11/15/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Coral should wait AT LEAST 3 months, mix the salt and water FIRST (always do this), and sand and rock then premixed water. In all honesty I don't really think it matters though so long as there are no fish.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

I got water in it and its running. Imma start adding some salt. I am only going to put one bag in. Ill be able to swing by and get a refractomer tomorrow.

I had to take the Mag 9.5 off and put the QO3K on. The Mag was just sucking the sump dry. I have 2 1" drains going wide open.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

What Drew said above except that if you leave the sand in the bag, or put it in one, cut the top off, submerge to bottom and then release sand, you will cut down on cloudiness.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Add the water and salt, let that mix for a couple days. Then add the rock, then the sand last. You should add the rock first so it sits on the the glass. If you put the rock on top of the sand, sandsifting fish and other critters can dig out sand under the rock causing it to fall. That could be a big mess!

You shouldn't have to worry about 2-part until after the corals are in, nothing will be using up the calcium until then.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11189152#post11189152 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Redfish
What Drew said above except that if you leave the sand in the bag, or put it in one, cut the top off, submerge to bottom and then release sand, you will cut down on cloudiness.
I may have done it that way once also. The last time I just dumped it in. I was in no rush to put anything else in though.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

I am sorry. I should have been more specific. I have the sand in the display tank already. Its been in there. What I was referring to is the live sand for the sump. The sand in the display has been clean and was in there when it was running at my old house. I do have some cloudiness, but its understandable.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

I would add it after the saltwater has mixed.
Old 11/16/2007, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11188246#post11188246 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrisalmand
Coral should wait AT LEAST 3 months, mix the salt and water FIRST (always do this), and sand and rock then premixed water. In all honesty I don't really think it matters though so long as there are no fish.
3 months? I hate the rules people apply to adding corals and/or fish.

If you use liverock uncured, or cured for that matter with some livesand, he could be adding corals and fish and inverts in less than 2 weeks probably if all pans out well.

No matter who tells you what, testing your water parameters is a must. That's the best thing you can do, test your ammonia, then nitrite and nitrate. Once your clear, your good to go on adding anything you want.

In order to speed your cycle up, I advise getting some livesand from an established tank and seeding some sand with it, and also using cured liverock as you can plop and drop. This will decrease the time it takes for your initial cycle to finish. Hell, go to Dave's and buy some livesand.

Ok back to your question,

When I've setup my tanks, I always used to use Southdown sand. I had it brought it by a friend of mine that had two 180 gallons out in South Walton and he would always hook me up with however many bags I needed...anyway I'd always do my aquascaping first...I also would do the rock first, then add sand, it makes it easier and causes less mishaps as crossi92 has stated. When adding your sand place it in the tank, that still has no water, arrange how you want. Once your finished take a trash bag and cover your area of sand, then place a bowl on top of the plastic bag, this is what you will be pouring/pumping your water into, it will cause less displacement if you do it this way, less downtime and less cloudiness. At about half way up, you should be able to remove the bowl and trash bag carefully and then continue adding water.
Old 11/16/2007, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

Well it been running since yesterday. THERE ARE A TON OF MICROBULLBLES. And its still cloudy, but I think its opaque casue of the bubbles. I am walking out the door to get some Live rock. Ill try to get some live sand from Dave today as well. Its my Monday though.
Old 11/16/2007, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

I got some live rock and live sand in. I still need to get more rock. The microbubbles are driving me nuts. I have tried everything that the internet suggest. Last ditch effort is re-doing some of the plumbing and adding filter socks. It looks like crap right now. I wont really be able to work on it till Monday though.
Old 11/17/2007, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

Where are you getting microbubbles from? Your returns? A powerhead in tank possibly?

That problem is probably in your sump, do you have a bubble baffle in your sump?

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 11/17/2007, 01:59 AM
Premium Member

The bubbles are coming from everywhere it seems. The returns are bubling, the skimmer output is on the other side of that particle section, and the water level in the return/pump section is running high to the water does not have far to fall. There is a bubble trap inbetween the skimmer section and the return pump.
Old 11/17/2007, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Well it looks a ton better this morning. Not 100% clear, but definitely a difference. I guess I just need to calm down and wait for it. I am not trying to rush it, I am just trying to impress the G/F so the tank can stay.

I found a Zoa hitchhiker on the live rock. I think its dead cause I don't have the proper lights. I hope not. Also, we saw the first signs of life in the live sand. Its a very small shrimp looking thing. Can yall help me out? I wanted to impress the babies, but I don't know what to call it. They named it "Snowflake"
Old 11/17/2007, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Either a amphipod or copepod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphipod
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod

They are both good things, they will serve as a food supply for some fish.
Old 11/17/2007, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

I dont think the Zoa is dead. At least not right now. I kinda waved some water onto it and it pulled back up into the rock. Several hours later, its back out like I saw it the first time. I am not sure its a Zoa the more I look at it. Its round and has tentacles, but it sticks out from the rock more.
Old 11/17/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

sounds awful lot like aptaisia to me. Might want to try and find pic of one.

Rich
Old 11/17/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Could be a small feather duster. I've gotten those on rock's before.

http://www.etropicals.com/product/pr...43&pCatId=1270
Old 11/17/2007, 06:26 PM
Spine Straightener

Might want to check this out.

http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/aipatasia.htm
Old 11/17/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Have any of you tried copperbanded butterfly fish for aiptasia control? They look really nice and I have a ton of aiptasia.
Old 11/17/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11203733#post11203733 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jadeguppy
Have any of you tried copperbanded butterfly fish for aiptasia control? They look really nice and I have a ton of aiptasia.
If you want to go that route make sure he is eating other things at the store first. Far too often these guys never eat in captivity. The one I got did eat at the store but then never ate when I got him home. He slowly died.
Old 11/17/2007, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Well I am an idiot. Thats it, the Aipatasia. I thought I had gotten lucky. I am not sure if the tank is completely ready for a shrimp yet. Its only been running since yesterday, the cycle is not finished yet.

Do you all think I should start dripping Kalk? I have all the stuff to do it. Also, what about running a charcola filter for a bit. I tried to make everything as clean as possible, but I had a 60lbs long haired Sheaherd. I have seen some hair in the tank. I got a net, but I figured a filter would help me out as well.
Old 11/17/2007, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

O, the kids also saw some bugs crawling around. They look just like the pods posted above, but they are in the main tank. All over the rock.
Old 11/17/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Don't drip the kalk unless you need to. That is usually after the coraline and corals start growing and depleating the water. I like that the copperbanded is reef safe and looks great. The aiptasia control is a major bonus. Thanks for the eating advise. No one has them in right now, but I will probably get one soon. I guess I'll go get a few more peppermint shrimp for now. BTW, I moved some rocks around to make a bigger tunnel and the tang is loving it. SWINGRRR, kill the aiptasia NOW! If you can reach it, thick Kalk mix in a suringe slowly dripped on it so that it eats it works great. My problem is too many and they are hard to reach. Anyone know if emerald crabs eat peppermints? I haven't seen mine in two days...