Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2007, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Wish me luck

Not really reef realted, but I know the prinicples are similar. And Im looking for any input as well.

I have always done FW tanks. This 65 is my first SW.

Anyway, my G/F has a Koi pond in her backyard. I am guessing its about 1000gal, 10X4X3. Again, just a guess. Well, first time I saw it, I about cried. Shes going on and on about how beautiful it is. I am thinking, "You cant even see the fish". Well she goes to feed them and throws in several large handfuls of food. I was shocked. There are maybe 10 fish in there. 3 HUGE Koi and the rest are Goldies, and Plecos.

Well, we have been seeing each other for a bit, so I decidede to break the bad news to her. Today I am set out to build a filter for it. Right now, theres no real filtering. Just a shoebox sized filter at the top of the waterfall. There is a UV light, but its been on there since the pond was built, and it was here when she bought the house. I also setup a 20L for the Plecos over the winter. Ill try to post pics of the progress.
Old 11/09/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Good luck dude!
Old 11/09/2007, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

Well, I just got back from the Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, Dollar General, Big Lots, Tom Thumb, and Barnhills. I think with lunch and beer I am into this filter for about $50. I got an 18gal tub and am going to use that.

Welp, time to get started.
Old 11/09/2007, 02:35 PM
sweeeet!!

Just a hint: Ponds can get dirty real quick from lots of fish poo and food, plus sunlight. A UV filter is good, but there is a better item!! Barley Bales. They are small bales of barley straw. Google it if you don't believe me. My folks have a pretty big Koi pond in their back yard as well. We dug a small trench next to the pond, installed a 6" diam pipe with the side cut out (overflow) and it gravity feeds to a 55g plastic drum buried in the ground. In the drum we have several barley bales, some green filter floss and a return pump up to the waterfall. TRUST ME, the barley bales work. Clear up the water.

Please let me know if you do this and how it turns out.

My folks live in Michigan BTW and run the pond year round. Yes, even in the winter. But in the winter they turn the waterfall off and remove the pump. They have an air bubbler in the water and on the coldest of cold nights, it keeps the water from freezing that are. They don't feed the fish anymore after the air starts getting cool. The fish are doing great and they have quite a few fish in there now and lots of new babies all the time.

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 11/09/2007, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

got it up and running. Its not in its final resting place. I sent my G/F a pic, and she doesn't like the idea. I told her all the fish are staying around the return, I guess they can finally breath. I have to goto Depot or Lowes and get some cinder blocks to raise it back where the waterfall was. Right now it just on the deck in emergency mode. She doesn't understand the whole fish need O2 thing, she just wants it to look pretty. Its been going about 30 minutes and already I can see a difference in the water. You can see the ledge going around the pond, its about 3-6 inches down. Ill try to post a pic
Old 11/09/2007, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

Heres the pond. I am trying to get one of the finished product off my phone.
[IMGhttp://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o184/SWINGRRRR/Fish/Fish001-3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11/09/2007, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

I forgot the stupid "]"
Old 11/09/2007, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

OK got a couple working. Thats the setup-up right now. Again, its what I consider emergency operations right now. Then some fish, you can finalaly see them. The last pic, thats the old "filter." Half is a UV chamber with a bulb that only God knows is how old, the other half is a piece of foam, thats it.

Old 11/09/2007, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

O, Mr James, I forgot to add, she did have a single Barley Bag in it when we first met. I dont know what happened to it, and it really had no effect. I think the pond was to far gone by the time she put it in.

I must also mention, she is not a complete idiot. The pond was here when she bought the house in Aug. She figured since it was up and running, everything was cheeky. She just did know.
Old 11/09/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

A couple of water plants will help. Something that won't spread and take over, but will clean the water. If you have a slightly shaded area where you can contain it, I have hornwort you can throw in. It is a fast growing floating plant that sucks up waste products. I wouldn't let it float all over though because it will grow fast and you still want to see the fish. It isn't hard to thin out.
Old 11/09/2007, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

Well its kinda werid. Since I have been working on it most of the day, it seems to get sun in the morning, and late afternoon.
Its really clearing up now. I think I am going to ditch the stupid pilow stuffing from Wal_mart. To hard to clean. I am going to go with some kinda foam. Imma hit Lowes tomorrow and see what they have.

I can actally see the bottom now.

Ill take some hornwart if you are giving it away. PM if you want.
Old 11/09/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

np On the hornwort, I just tossed a bucket full! The tank is at the school, but I may need to stop by there this weekend anyway. If you want foam go to a fabric store and get open pore foam. It is the type used for cousions and pillows. If you can blow through it, then it is open pore. I have made small sponge filters out of it before. I'm down to 9 fw tanks, but I should still be able to help you out. What are you using in the filter? I like the Walstead (sp?) method for fw and used it before I knew what it was. Basically, my tanks are set up so that they need little to no care other than top offs. If I do too many water changes, I actually start seeing die off due to the water being too clean. Broke my heart when I figured out how to set them up this way...NOT!
Old 11/09/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Its a 18gal tub, on top is eggcrate(light defusser) then pillow batting from Wally World, then a bunch of Scub Pads. Those are raised about 3-4 inches above the drain. I am going to replace the loose pillow stuff. I call it Poly Fill (cae audio buff), is just does not hold its shape when wet.
Old 11/09/2007, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Another idea to think about is bog filtration if you want to add a natural ecosystem to the pond so you don't have to have mechanical filtration.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 11/10/2007, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

I woke up this morning and you can see the bottom. Its just about crystal clear. I am going to Lowes to find come cinder bloack and zip ties. I gotta move it back where it was.

I dont know about putting the Plecos inside. I saw 1 this morning for the first time and its about 10 inches long. I think that would be creul in a 20L.
Old 11/10/2007, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

In the first pic of the fish, several post up, they are right at the surface. This pic they are on the bottom.
Old 11/10/2007, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Here it is as close to finished as possible. I want to paint the piping so you cant see it, but that will have to happen another day. Its Monday for me.

Hope you enjoyed following my progress. (The water looks a little dirty cause all the new debris falling off the waterfall.)

Old 11/10/2007, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Looking good. They will be much happier!
Old 11/10/2007, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

Looking good!

Hey go find some krylon fusion, black spray paint and paint that PVC black so you don't notice it. Just an idea.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 11/10/2007, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

I have some Kryon Fusion at my home, in Milton. (I dont live with G/F)

Its left over from my tank. Ill get it done eventually.
Old 11/10/2007, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Looks alot better! Is she happy with it?
Old 11/10/2007, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

She has not been home yet today to see it. Shes could really care one way or the other. She said today that she would have never messed with it. "If it aint broke, dont fix it." I tried to explain to her the importance of clean water, etc.
Everything seemed to be healthy, but I think the set-up now is alot better for them. Plus, you can actually see the fish.
Old 11/10/2007, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

She'll really enjoy it when it all clears up and when you get it completely finished. The fish will be alot healthier and grow quicker, etc. I'm sure you told her that.
Well congrats. Looks like a job well done!
Old 11/12/2007, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

I thought it had it all figured out. Well, the pond is going great, its crystal clear for several days now. But I am having 1 problem. There are alot of surface bubbles. Do I just have to live with them? I thhought of putting a piece of foam at the bottom of the waterfall, but that would be 1 more thing to clean. And the size it would have to be, would mean almost daily cleanings. Any advice?
Old 12/08/2007, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

Just a little update. The pond is still doing great. Things are crystal clear. Cant wait till this summer to have some parties out by the patio. You can see 1 of the huge Plecos in the last pic.