Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Treating fish with Maracyn 2 for FW...

All the LFS had was Maracyn 2 for FW. I researched it a bit and found that the only difference I believe between the two types, FW and SW, was that the active ingredient (monocycline) was doubled in the SW version (20mg vs. 10mg) and there was some vitimens for appetite simutlate in there too.

So anyways, you're suppose to double the initial dose, so for a 20gal QT tank, I would add 4 pills of Maracyn 2 FW, correct? (treating a juvi emporer angel).
Old 12/19/2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

I have used the FW forms of Maracyn and Maracyn II in saltwater tanks. I believe the dosage is adjusted on the boxes to account for the difference in active ingrediants per individual dose. I could be wrong.
Old 12/19/2007, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

I've been told that the formula for Marcyn 2 for Freshwater is not stable in saltwater...it oxidizes or degrades or something. If in doubt, maybe do a post on Lee Birch's forum on Reeffrontiers.com, or call the manufacturer. I think that is how I found out (by calling the manufacturer)
Old 12/19/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Here is a conversation I found with Lee Birch on a diff. forum (not RC or RF). I think everything is gravy to go ahead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBunch
I found your post about the differences of maracyn vs. maracyn two (eg., gram positive vs. gram negative).

I've looked all over for maracyn two for saltwater, but the only thing I can find is maracyn two for freshwater. My curiousity eventually got the better of me, so I did a comparison online of the two packages and I essentially came to the conclusion that the SW version has some added vitamins and twice the dose of minocycline.

How important is it for me, as a marine aquarist, to use the saltwater version over the freshwater version? I believe what I'm really after is the 20mg of minocycline housed in the SW version of maracyn two, though I understand the vitamins might be beneficial in the short term and help to boost the appetite of the fish.

Looking to you for some input since you seem to be very well versed on this topic.

Thanks in advance,
Al Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebca
Hi Al,

You are correct about the difference. It isn't essential you use the Maracyn Two for Saltwater, but you don't want to use Maracyn One. As you also rightly observed, they are different products.

The Two for saltwater fishes contains a appetite stimulants in the form of vitamins. So, if the fish is eating, it really isn't an issue. If the fish isn't eating, it is of some benefit to have those appetite stimulants (vitamins) in with the medication.

Also as you've observed, you want to make sure you get the dosage right.

LEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBunch
Many thanks for the speedy reply!

I went ahead and bought the Maracyn Two for freshwater in the hopes that I was correct. I just dosed my QT tank (10g) with two of the aforementioned tablets. This is for a tank bred/raised true perc (from ORA) who has been listless and without appetite for 2 days. I had previously dosed Jungle Parasite Clear (prazi, diflubenzuron, metronidazole, and acriflave). The clown seemed to pass a parasite (white, curly fecal matter), but not much else has changed since then. Hopefully the minocycline will take care of whatever is ailing her - any idea how long it should take before there's any noticeable improvement?

As a side note, I've been readding quite a bit of your work over the passt couple of days, and I have questions about how to get one of a mated pair of false percs in a 10g nano to eat. One of the pair eats well at feedng time, but not to excess, the other mouths whatever I put in the tank, but always returns to grazing on the pods clinging to the glass. They both went through a round in QT with just the parasite clear, and she would mouth food there as well, but did't appear to be slimming down any, in the nano she has since started to get a very slight bit thinner. So far I've tried Formula one, New Life Spectrum Discus Formula, MinnKrill, TetraMarine Marine Granules (and flakes), brine shrimp, Hikari brine shrimp, Hikari blood worms, and even a tiny bit of silverside that I feed an anemone in a 105g. All the other residents, 1 bi-color blenny, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, and 2 nassarius don't turn their noses up at anything except for the Hikari shrimp and blood worms. (Ok, I can't say the snails turn their noses up at it, but the others do). Hopefully you'll have a tip or two for this one (cyclopeeze is my next stop), but she's barely maintaining on the pods and as long as the population doesn't crash, I think she'll last for some time until I find a suitable food.

-Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebca
Al,

Your posts and their answers would be of interest to many others trying to learn and not knowing even the right questions. I would urge you to post on the Reefland Forum your questions.

The antibiotic usually do their job in about 3 to 5 days. If the fish is infected with a bacterial disease, the fish should show signs of recovery during that time frame.

The fish in the nano are space stressed. The tank is too small. One of the expressions of stress is reduced appetite or refusing to eat. In a small tank, water quality is hard to maintain, which adds to their stress. A pair of those anemonefishes belong in a 35+ gallon tank all to themselves. They may look 'right' for the nano, but they are telling you there's a problem with space. It isn't the type of food, its the stress they are under.

LEE
Old 12/19/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

I looked and the dosage is changed accordingly.

It would be hard for me to believe there is any difference except the Vitamin B and presevatives related thereto.

Erythromycin is pretty much Erythromycin and monocycline is pretty much monocycline.