Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

best copper to use in Fish only tank

I wanted to know if any particular brand of copper is better than any other. The tank already has hypo and i wanted to keep the tank with Hypo and copper to have the least parasites possible.

Its a 550g tank and i plan on keeping rare expensive fish so i dont want to take any chances on them. I was thinking of using Cupramine but im open to all suggestions.

Thanks
Ray
Old 12/19/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Copper is copper. It has extreme drawbacks, which I'm assuming you've heard of. Once you've put it in your tank, you will have a nearly impossible time ridding everything of it, e.g. substrate/liverock. It will kill any invertebrate you ever put in there including the ones you need to keep your exotic fish from nitrating themselves to death. Get a quarantine tank, and don't dose your main display. Always a bad idea.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

i have had Fish only tanks with copper in them without any issues with ammonia or nitrite. Nitrate builds up but thats not an issue with fish.

And so you know most wholesalers and most fish stores use copper in all thier displays and they have no issues aswell.

Anyone got any advice on brands of copper?
Old 12/19/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Rawbomb,

The most effective copper treatment is 0.20 ppm of copper sulfate / citric acid added and tested for 2x a day for 14 days. SeaCure from Aquarium Systems is that formulation.
I think however, you are talking about keeping organically chelated copper in your tank all of the time. I normally don't do this anymore, but I used to use Coppersafe for this purpose. The trick is that highly chelated coppers are difficult to test for, so you need to re-dose water used for water changes to keep the levels where they should be.
If you don't quarantine your fish, you might be a better candidate for using Coppersafe - but you know, you still may run into problems with flukes.

Jay Hemdal
Old 12/19/2007, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

yeah flukes are a concern i am having but im not sure how to QT for those effectively.
Old 12/19/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

While I am one of those folks that does believe in copper treatment, hyposalinity would work for your fluke problem.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Two issues, first, using copper with the sand and rocks, they'll absorb the copper and throw off the test reading, causing your to dose more then you should. As I'm sure you know, copper is poisionous, just more poisionous to the parasites then the fish. Secondly, it's never advised you do both hypo and copper at the same time. Copper is toxic and at that salinity is very dangerous and deadly to fish.

Additionally, true, fish are more tolerate of nitrates, then say corals, but tangs and angels, more razzled but them and are easily susceptible to lymphocyctis in less then 'ideal' conditions.

True must wholesalers/fish stores use copper, but they don't have sand/lr in there so they can accurately test for copper, and it's rare they ever have the copper anywhere near full strength.
Old 12/19/2007, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Hypo does not work on the flukes I have seen in the last few years. Not all coppers are the same either.

Cupramine is an excellent copper treatment, not as toxic to fish as other coppers, and is even tolerated by more copper sensitive fish. It is the only copper treatment I use and will ever use. It has a very affective range (0.2-0.8) which makes it easier to keep an affective dose without checking the concentration so often. It is absorbed by calcerous substances, but not as quickly as other coppers.

I've also found that Prazipro (used to treat for flukes) can be used with Cupramine at the same time without any issues.

I would not do hypo all the way down to 1.009 and Cupramine at the same time. Plus no real need to do a true hypo if you are already using Cupramine.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LargeAngels
Hypo does not work on the flukes I have seen in the last few years. Not all coppers are the same either.

Cupramine is an excellent copper treatment, not as toxic to fish as other coppers, and is even tolerated by more copper sensitive fish. It is the only copper treatment I use and will ever use. It has a very affective range (0.2-0.8) which makes it easier to keep an affective dose without checking the concentration so often. It is absorbed by calcerous substances, but not as quickly as other coppers.

I've also found that Prazipro (used to treat for flukes) can be used with Cupramine at the same time without any issues.

I would not do hypo all the way down to 1.009 and Cupramine at the same time. Plus no real need to do a true hypo if you are already using Cupramine.
agree, I have excellent result from cupramine too.

from blue tang, powder blue and naso, all effective and even there's no ill sign anymore, I'll suggest to keep them under treatment for 6 weeks.