Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Reviews on Seachem Cupramine & Seachem ParaGuard (do you reccomend?)

Has anyone treated the whole tank with these? For those of us that can't catch a specific fish without tanking out 200lbs of live rock, these two seem reasonable. Would like to treat angel with fungus on eye, but no way can I scoop him out without tanking down tank.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...s_seachem.html

Would you use again? were they effective? Did they destroy cycle? Anerobic bacteria?
Old 12/04/2007, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Cupramine is excellent as a treatment for ich or velvet. Very affective and I have seen no issues with copper sensitive fish or destroying beneficial bacteria. BUT I would not use it on live rock unless you are prepared for the possibility of never putting corals in. Also any calcerous substrate (rock or sand) will absorb Cupramine so frequent testing and additions of Cupramine will be needed.

Never used Paraguard.
Old 12/04/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

I am of the same mind as Large Angels. Cupramine works very well. I have used paraguard but have not had any visible results. It could be i have not given it a fair chance relative to my favorites.

My typical regimen for fish in bad shape is copper followed by/with Maracyn and Maracyn 2. They are very efficient at cleaning up secondaries.
Old 12/05/2007, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

I've even Used Cupramine, Prazipro and Maracyn II all at the same time. After 5 days I do a 50% water change, followed by another 50% water change the following day and only treat the new water with Cupramine.

I only do that in special cases in QT or when proactively treating clowns like Chrysopterus that are so susceptible to brook. I'm not sure why, nor am I stating this is a cure for brook, but I have a better success rate with sensitive clowns like chrysopterus with this combination.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Ordered both after Googling and reading your reviews (Thanks). Will reply with my results, SeaChem suspects that my blueaface has cloudy eye. He's rather new, so I suspect he was carring something inside of him when I took delivery. None of my other fish appear to have problems. Will post update in a week. Applying chemical tonight. Paraguard first.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Cloudy eye on a new angelfish may very likely be flukes. Flukes are not killed by Copper or Hypo. FW dips remove the adults, but does not kill the eggs. Prazipro is an excellent treatment for flukes.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Update:

Recieved my order from Marinedepot (love them!). Dosed 13 cap fulls of the Paraguard last night. Chose Paraguard as it seems to be all purpose and most importantly somewhat reef safe for entire tank. I would like to remove both eye problem and possible eggs in tank. Removed skimmer collection cups, but left skimmer on for oxigen exchange (skimmer cups removed so I don't remove Parguard from tank).

Noticed the water did not change color.
The Aiptasia (I really have a non-stop aiptasia problem) all shrinked and looked like they were disentegrating within 15 mins of dose (added benefit!). Half Xenia shriveled up, other half is fine.

No fish stress, blue legged crabs still alive.

So this morning I dosed about 7 caps fulls as instructions state keep dosing if fish not stressed daily.

Note:
130g total volume in tank

So far so good, let's see if the Blueface eye problem clears up.

Will post follow-up in a few days. Will most likely not change water out for 30 days to ensure I get rid of any potential eggs.

Also chose whole tank dose as I dread taking out 200lb of live rock and losing my aquascape which took me hours to achieve, just to catch the Blueface, also I am pretty certain that my problem is either flukes or fungus, thus treating whole tank is in order now. I'm willing to take the risks involved.

Last edited by fantastic4; 12/07/2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Just a note that Paraguard has a very short life once its in the aquarium so make sure you dose it as instructed.

You should dip the Blueface to see if it has flukes. I have a strong suspicion that is does. Here's a thread I started last week regarding flukes and what to look for

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...=&pagenumber=1
Old 12/07/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LargeAngels
I've even Used Cupramine, Prazipro and Maracyn II all at the same time. After 5 days I do a 50% water change, followed by another 50% water change the following day and only treat the new water with Cupramine.

I
I always wanted to mix those 3 combinations or at least the Maracyn II and Prazipro because most of the fish that has flukes comes down with secondary infections but was told not to mix medications. How often did you dosed those 3 together and did notice any fish loses or strange behavior?
Old 12/07/2007, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

I dose the 3 together any time I now get clownfish in and have done it 3-4 times on angels and wrasses. No strange behavior.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Would I encounter bad side effects if I soak all fish food in Copermine for the next few weeks? Or would this kill my fish?

Last edited by fantastic4; 12/07/2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12/10/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Update:

Only used the Paraguard (also soaked food in Paraguard). Started on Thursday night. By Saturday my angel's eye was looking better. Now it's Monday and my Angel looks 100%. Dosed everyday and kept feeding levels up. Left skimmers on with no collection cup.

Can I stop dosing or should I continue?

Interesting note.... I have been battling high nitrates. Was dosing Vodka and sugar before the angel got sick then stopped last Thursday when I started the medication. Testing Nitrates last night and they were around 20ppm or less (lowest they have been!). Not sure what is going on chemistry wise, but I like it. All fish look happy and moving around well.

If they are flukes or fungus, how long should I keep dosing once symptoms are gone?