Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Bad test

OK I went to rogers publix (about 5 minutes from me) and got 3 jars of mrs waggs. I just did some water testing to see where I am:

Ph 7.8
Alk 5 DKH
Calcium 345

Phosphates are somewhere between .1-.2

This is the first time that Calcium has ever been low in all my testing. In fact before I started dosing alk/ph a few weeks ago it was always over 500. Over the last 2 weeks I have added a bottle and a half of alk/ph buffer. It raises and then drops again.

Of course I question my testing ability. For example the calcium test says add drops till it turns blue. Well it never does. It goes to purple and its not a sudden change. It slowly gets more purple with each drop. Damm test.

So should I take a sample to larry and let him redo my tests? Or should I just add the mrs waggs to my RO water that I top off with? Or should I use a 2 part solution? Or should I just dose the mrs waggs either directly or through a mrs waggs ro drip? Or should I sell my tank and just give up...
Old 01/09/2008, 10:04 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Are u using the sera kits?

if u are i recently got some to try and yes u fill the vial up to 5 ml and slowly add drops until it turns color.(not necesarily blue) it does look somewhat purple.lol
1-1 meaning 10 drops = 10 dkh
Old 01/09/2008, 10:05 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Or just sell the tank and get some lizards or turltes.
Even some guppies and fresh water.
j/k
Old 01/09/2008, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

I have the Sera dkh test, Aquarium Pharm Ph and CA.

I used to keep lizards:
2 Iguana
3 bearded dragons
3 (breeding trio) vailed chameleon
Old 01/09/2008, 11:00 AM
Addicted to the Reef

just use the kalk no matter what ( if used in top off with out overdoes) it will always keep the ca and alk in balance.. any extra will precipitate out

still re test your water but use the kalk no matter what

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 01/09/2008, 11:11 AM
In over my head!

kalk won't correct an unbalanced low Ca problem though. Any precipitation will affect Ca and Alk at the same ratio they're being added. To fix the imbalance, you would need to use a straight Ca supplement like a calcium chloride (ingredient in 2-part calcium solution). Use the reef chemistry calculator to determine the right amounts for your tank.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

ninjamini: I just took a second look at the numbers, and 5dKH is rather low for alkalinity too. I typically run mine around 10dKH to combat low pH. I think you'll want to raise them both.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:28 PM
tiger eel

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
Or just sell the tank and get some lizards or turltes.
Even some guppies and fresh water.
j/k
you mean