Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/26/2006, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

I thought you had to have MH for LPS and it was optional for SPS? Do I have that fact reversed?
Old 07/26/2006, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

I have a 65 gal and built 250mh for around 120 bucks. Its a lot less expensive to buy the parts and wire it together yourself.
Old 07/26/2006, 10:32 AM
Adult Swim Goon

Dr. Maybe - That my intent.....hopefully I dont burn the house down.....but thats the plan...but with 175....dont want to deal with any heat issues.

DP - from what i read...depends on LPS....and wattage of bulds....higher wattage and good clarity mean more penetration....

The 65 is gone on to bigger and better things.....click the red house for a new beginning.
Old 07/26/2006, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

Nice Tank...
Old 07/26/2006, 10:44 AM
Adult Swim Goon

Thanx stidd

The 65 is gone on to bigger and better things.....click the red house for a new beginning.
Old 07/26/2006, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Dr. Maybe, I have the balasts but I haven't been able to find the mogul ends anywhere... Where did you get yours?
Old 07/26/2006, 11:26 AM
Adult Swim Goon

Bey big Bro...thanks for taking over my thread.....lol

Are you still going to give me the ballast? And give me the info on the mogul ends you need i wil find em.

Old 07/26/2006, 10:15 PM
Adult Swim Goon

SO got a couple things coming in by this weekend.....FrogSpawn...Brain....and Green Polyp I think.....and maybe another leather.....

Tanks will be pretty stocked with frags......so I can start on my fish, invert stock....

On another note....Did some shiftin around and figured out how to direct in tank flow to keep temp at 78.5 with lights of and 80-81 degrees tops with lights full blast.

Also pod population seems to have stabalized...since i added mandarin....will be starting brine cultivation in the next week or two...

I have a question though.....need some ideas on anemone....when should I add it...and should i add it before percula or after....or at the same time.

Old 07/26/2006, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

I don't have any pods in mine... You can stil lget teh ballast but I think I am going to get the mogul base tomorrow from graybar.
Old 07/26/2006, 10:27 PM
Adult Swim Goon

you have no pods in your fuge.....I know I saw some in you macro algae. Feed your fuge phytoplankton that will help increase population quickly....Im planing on a trip to O-town August 5, when I come up Ill bring some cuttings from my fuge....bound to have a coupld dozen pods in it.....once you have the population in the fuge take some out and sake it in the main display....a few will fall out.....or you can wash it out in a bin and filter it through a filter sock to catch pods then place in display....i have pretty good population now....if you come down to frag swap you can get some macro infused with pods....

Old 07/28/2006, 03:13 PM
Adult Swim Goon

So Ive been trying to get an anemone for the last week or so. Is there a level of maturity your tank needs to be at to put one of these in, and also what kind of lighting does one require them. People say strong lighting but Ive always notices how most anemones seem to find little nooks with small amounts of light.

Old 07/28/2006, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

you do need lots of light for anemone's, most anyway, what kind do you want to get?
Old 07/29/2006, 07:10 AM
Adult Swim Goon

Well I wanted something with alot of color, either green, or pink, or white with colors at the tips, in either case lots of color, I have been reseaching them and havent really made a choice. I will be adding additional light in a few weeks, but wantede to know if I am delayed in that will my current lighting be ok?

Old 07/29/2006, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

for a good "starter" anemone you may want to try a bbt or bubble tip, their easiest to keep and dont need as much light as other veriaties, they would be fine with the light you have, you can get them in many colors also, greens, pinkish, reds, etc... just be careful because anemones like to find their own spot in the tank-they'll keep mooving around untill they do, stinging and bothering your other corals in the process... just got to keep close tabs on where it goes and get your other corals out of the path.. lol
Old 07/30/2006, 04:14 PM
Adult Swim Goon

Man, all I can say is wow. I have my tank about 90% stocked with corals, and inverts. Went to Frag Swap/Sale today, got 8 corals for less than 50 bucks, and 2 nice frags for my brother.....WOW....

Anyway I will be posting pics later when the atanics come on....

Old 07/31/2006, 09:57 AM
Adult Swim Goon

So finally I got of my lazy butt....here are the pics of the stuff I got from the frag swap.....

Green Leather with Cabbage leather on one rock...

Purple Zoo's (this is for DP...lol you owe me bro)

Rock anemone and green Zoos

Xenia (not sure what species)

Star Polyps (also for my bro)

There are a few more but ill just give ever all shot...

Old 07/31/2006, 09:59 AM
Adult Swim Goon

here is a better pic of the ZOOs

and me beautiful rock anemone....cant wait to get my maroon percula

Old 07/31/2006, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Thought thought you told me you got some fire and ice polyps too?
Old 07/31/2006, 11:40 AM
Adult Swim Goon

the ones that i saw didnt look so good....I will give you a couple of polyps of the orang ones in the second pic from the bottom.....just gotta let em grow out a bit....I think a frag swap is coming up for the peeps in your area.....I will try to make that one....still looking for that ONE piece you feel me....gotta get a centerpiece.....still dont think i have on yet....

Old 07/31/2006, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

The tank looks awesome. What you've got looks really good so far, and seems to be very healthy. I've got a couple tips just based on what I've read others having problems with.

First, since your tank seems to be doing quite well as it is now, I would give it some time to mature in its current state. Its very difficult in this hobby not to rush in and buy everything that you want right away . As a new person to the hobby, you seem MUCH more informed than a lot of people that start reefkeeping.... especially more than I was 2 years ago when I started . I've just read a couple things in your posts that raised some alarm bells: the mandarin you bought and your desire to buy an anemone. Check out these FAQ's:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/mandsysfaqs.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anemsysfaqs.htm

The general information given on Mandarins is that to keep them alive long term you'll need around a 100gallon tank that has matured for at least a year. Check out these links from Melev's site, he's pretty trusted on his opinions of the hobby:

http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_care.html
http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_diner.html

As for the anemone... I would just give it some time before you decide to buy one. I've read many posts from experts having an incredible amount of trouble.

Good luck with everything! You don't have to take my word on everything, but please research on the mandarins and anemones before you buy and don't be afraid to just leave things as they are for a while and enjoy them. I think it could save you alot of frustration.
Old 07/31/2006, 01:05 PM
Adult Swim Goon

NICKTERP....
Thanx, I still consider myself way noobish....lol
I plan on letting the tank mature and continue to grow out over the next few months. I have the intentions of purchasing some more live rock to build up the left side, and get a nice centerpiece. AS far as anenomes I picked a good starter as far as the Rock Anenome is concerned. It is very hardy and easy to feed. the mandarin is another question. I have a fuge, with excellent pod production, at night i see hundreds of pods scurring on my sand. the mandarin has tons to eat, plus it eats pellets....

I still worry about it though, but like anything else in this you win some and you lose some, I love my little mandarin though so if he does to that reef in the sky ill be pretty sad. ANyway....once again thanks for the compliment, still loads of work to do.

Old 07/31/2006, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I think as long as you are patient and careful about what you do/add to the tank, you should be fine. Thats great that the mandarin is eating pellets, did you see Melev's site about the Mandarin Diner, I thought it was pretty funny. You can see all his other fish trying to get in on the meal....

Your rock anemone will prob be fine. If you're going to be keeping lots of corals in the tank then I'd stay away from BTAs and similar anemones. That's what I was picturing when you first said that, because thats what most people go for first. BTAs like to travel around the tank stinging other corals, catching slow fish/invertabrates, getting caught in powerheads.... I think they may be too much hassle unless you were dedicating the entire tank to work around the BTA.... But thats a alot of sidetracking I just did, sorry .
Old 07/31/2006, 01:29 PM
Adult Swim Goon

No no need for the sorry......lol I was leading towards a bubble too, but read that they move ALOT.....that kinda worried me cause I have alot of softies

Old 07/31/2006, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Just gotta say one last thing about your icon that probably only you will get....

"Ignignot: You and your third dimension.
Frylock: What about it?
Ignignot: Oh nothing, it's cute. We have five.
Ur: Th-thousand.
Ignignot: Yes, five thousand.
Ur: Don't question it!
Frylock: Oh yeah? Well, I only see two.
Ignignot: Well that sounds like a personal problem."

Good luck again, that tank is gonna turn out real well.
Old 07/31/2006, 02:03 PM
Adult Swim Goon

LMAO.....thats funny.....I love those guyz.....