Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 07/10/2006, 09:56 PM
Adult Swim Goon

Ok so I have let the tank sit for a few days to let new coral get properly adjusted. Here are the pics...hope you like em....I also think that I have some Diatoms growing so some advice would be holpful there. Just to let you know I am dosing kalwasser daily...

some of these are when sunset has just arived some of the corals have went to "sleep"

Thanks Chris

Bristle Worm

My largest hermit (Kong)

Zoos

does this look like Diatoms or algae

Anyway thats it for this week.... Let me know what you think and if thats algae. Will post some more on Friday?

The 65 is gone on to bigger and better things.....click the red house for a new beginning.
Old 07/11/2006, 07:25 AM
Adult Swim Goon

1000 views and no comments?

The 65 is gone on to bigger and better things.....click the red house for a new beginning.
Old 07/11/2006, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

The coralife lunar aqualight is a good light for its purpose. In my opinion, it is NOT enough light for a reef tank, even though it looks good. The only things I'd try to keep are xenia elongata and zoos, maybe blastos. Now, the price is right, if you got 2 of those lights, you'd be doing good. But not great. The question is going to have to be, what kind of light do you want. Did you like the color of my tank? For the price, I'd look online for a pair of 175w metal halides, 10000k. You really don't need 250's like mine. If you like bluer or purpler light, go with 250w mh, 14000 or 20000k. You won't get as much growth, but the colors will be better. Almost every "beautiful" tanks as defined by me had 14000 or 20000k. Just my opinion.

Lastly, to make the decision even harder, there has been alot of great stuff done with T-5, I'll try to find a link to a nice price.

Here's one: $413 with lights and shipping... good setup
http://cgi.ebay.com/TEK-LIGHT-T5-HO-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07/11/2006, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

By the way, that flame scallop is destined to die more than likely. They are for very mature tanks only, and even then they don't live more than a year or two. I've been very lucky, getting about 2 years out of 2 of them, from an original 4. Most people can't keep them.
Old 07/11/2006, 02:47 PM
Adult Swim Goon

Thanks for the advice, I am upgrading lights this week 3x96 PC, and will start building canopy to house MH fixtures this weekend. I want more growth definately....

I like lighting that is more "warm" yeah the bluer light may look good but I want to have realism more than asthetics (did I spell that right)

Old 07/11/2006, 02:49 PM
Adult Swim Goon

Oh and the flame was a "gift". Not bought by me, but a gift non the less.....After reading up on them I also saw that they are very difficult to keep, I will do my best however as I dont believe in terminating him.

Old 07/12/2006, 07:51 AM
Adult Swim Goon

Ok so now I have a question about dosing, first of all what do you guys use, and secondly, how often, right now Im dosing kalkwasser daily and watching PH for spikes...and Purple Up once a weel instead of kalkwasser. Havent seen any ill effects yet....

Old 07/12/2006, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Hey good job with you tank!!! Looking very good!!
Old 07/12/2006, 11:18 AM
Adult Swim Goon

Thanks man....this has become an obsession like my wife puts it

Old 07/12/2006, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

hey, if your looking for some good stuff, check out exotic aquatic, there in oakland.
Old 07/12/2006, 04:04 PM
Adult Swim Goon

I will take a look at them.....I am trying however to do most of my stocking from local reefers, at least I know Im getting good stuff, and they will be honest.....

Old 07/13/2006, 10:02 PM
Adult Swim Goon

Got some new lights today, every thing opened up even better....Will post pics tomorrow....

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 2 ppm
PH - 8.4

Added daily dose of Kalkwasser, ZooPlankton And Phytoplankton, and a little flake

Old 07/21/2006, 10:45 AM
Adult Swim Goon

So this week my father built me a nice canopy...first perfectly over the tank, all thats left is to stain it. There was one hitch my current lighting system does not fit. Only way it would is if I took it apart, and tried to mount everything.

http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?I...elationship=36

Would anyone advise taking it apart?

Or would I be better of getting a retrofit system and mounting it.

If doing retrofit what should i do I was going to do halides which I already have a set but wanted to suppliment with PC's.....any advice on taking this thing apart?

Old 07/21/2006, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Your tank looks very nice. Great set up.
Old 07/21/2006, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Best way to take it apart is with a screw driver.... But seriously little brother, I would sell the current lighting system if I were you and just go with the retro fits... You will have more flexibility in how you put it in without having to rewire anything. One think I did notice is that my retro fit 65 watt lights seen to be much brighter than yours.
Old 07/21/2006, 01:47 PM
Adult Swim Goon

Its the reflector that came with the system......got new lights by the way....got em a week ago...not sure if you saw it when you where here last, but it looks way way brighter.....I chaged the 10,000 k buld to a 50/50 because i hate that yellow color, so its slightly dimmer, but much nicer looking......nice bluish color.....

I was thinking same thing though....

I can wait and spend 300 buck and have lighting system that I can transplant into a 100 or a 110 in a year or two.....

now the thing is what should i do just go full blown metal halides (150's) with 2 96 w PC supports or full T-5?

Old 07/25/2006, 11:54 AM
Adult Swim Goon

Well I finally finished my canopy, pretty basic but will serve purposes well. Any way here are the pictures with some tank pics....

Got some new additions, a orange spotted Goby, a mandarin, and a beautiful brittle star.

Canopy Shots

here are some tank shots

Now here are some shots of my little friends

He is in front of his home....dub cave under nice live rock.....

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrate - undetectable
phosphates- .2
calcium - untested
alk - 8.4
salininty 1.026

Old 07/25/2006, 12:36 PM
Adult Swim Goon

not even one comment......wow
definately a bump

Old 07/25/2006, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Tank Looks really nice.

I was wondering if the sand size you got was sugar sized? It looks larger. Thanks!! And also, how deep is it?

I am planning a 75 gallon and was wondering how much sand I would need to buy? I went to this online calculator and it said 140 lbs to create a 4" sand bed. That sounded like alot but I new so not sure.
Old 07/25/2006, 09:23 PM
Adult Swim Goon

Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmer2
Tank Looks really nice.

I was wondering if the sand size you got was sugar sized? It looks larger. Thanks!! And also, how deep is it?

I am planning a 75 gallon and was wondering how much sand I would need to buy? I went to this online calculator and it said 140 lbs to create a 4" sand bed. That sounded like alot but I new so not sure.
First of all thank you. My sand bed ranges from 3-5 inches. Alot of people use shallow beds, or no beds at all...some use deep like me. Supports differnent bacteria, that help in keeping certain levels low. In anu case I used 75 pounds of aragonite. Not sure if im spelling it right.

I used 50 pounds dry and 25 pounds live sand.

depending on the overall length of your tank....you need at least 80-90 pounds....

Old 07/25/2006, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

how longs the tank been up now? its looking good, FYI, i think you could keep almost any soft corals and a few lps with your pc lights, i dont even have that many and currently have a torch coral thats doing great-he's on the tip top of my tank.. lol
Old 07/26/2006, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

Looks great. How much of that rock is dead coral base.? I am trying to decide how much Rock I will need for my 30 Gal. Also I like that light looks great I just went with the Current USA orbit instead but after seeing that I am sorry I did. Do you have a glass cover on the tank.?
Old 07/26/2006, 08:26 AM
Adult Swim Goon

I used about 15 pounds of dead coral for the base......it is actually started to grow coraline on it already. Because so much of my rock is covered with coraling I am dosing calcium daily. I have no hard corals but as you can see...the coraline algae is rampant.

On another note, I put on my canopy yesterday....I had to make some corrections because of the lighting fixture, and slotted the canopy so the fixture slides in and out without much fuss.

I am going to run a couple 20 mm PC fans to help move air in canopy. This is in leu of the halide light i will be plaing in it in the next month or so. Im thinking 175 watts at 14,000k should be enough to accomplish what i want.

Ducati, for your tank, get 20 pounds premium live rock, and 20 pounds dead coral....or if you have the luxury get a full 40 pounds and 5-10 pounds dead coral.

Not sure where your located and the price you get your rock at but

http://www.theaquariumonline.com/Sea...?CategoryID=96

where I got my rock from.....and at 2.99 a pound i really couldnt find a place to beat it.

To help control heat I removed the glass covers completely. Temperature dropped 2 degrees when i did that.

Hope that helps....Cant wait for frag swap this weekend....got a couple things on my to-do list...

get mag 5-7 return pump - want more turnover in tank...only getting 3-4 times per hour right now...

Get some more live stock for tank - really havent seen anything that jumps out at me....plus i love corals.....

get centerpiece softie - looking for a nice finger leather and an anemone

Finish building emergency power supply - I live in south florida....DUH

build halide system - self explanatory

get a couple stony frags

Ill keep you posted....everything should be done within the next two months

Also new coral coming this weekend.

Old 07/26/2006, 08:35 AM
Adult Swim Goon

Quote:
Originally posted by jwhitlow1031
how longs the tank been up now? its looking good, FYI, i think you could keep almost any soft corals and a few lps with your pc lights, i dont even have that many and currently have a torch coral thats doing great-he's on the tip top of my tank.. lol
Thanks...Well you will be suprised when I tell you....tank has been running for one month......the trick was seeding.

I poured 25 pounds of live....(VERY LIVE) sand over washed dry sand....I used cured live rock......alot of it.....and a great skimmer with a decent refugium/sump design.....

I did a whole lot of reading, and figured that the way your tank cycles depends alot on your equipment and initial live stock (live rock, sand etc) I also fed my refugium daily to build up bacteria....to the point where i would put food in, and literally it disappeared in 12-16 hours.....and no pods where in it yet..

As far as coral....I also think any softie would grow well under those lights, and a few hardy LPS but Im taking that slow as I dont want any motality. I want to add my halide before I do any LPS. I will continue to add some softies...probably 2-3 more variations as I know then these grow out its going to look great.

but my ultimate goal is hard stuff and an anemone.

Old 07/26/2006, 09:52 AM
Adult Swim Goon

Oh Ill show full pictures later.....