Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/15/2006, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

Updated Tank Pictures, Today I bought some more LR, & a Clown Fish... Can't wait tell I get More... My tank has been up and running now for 63 Days... Everything has been fine on the water tests, Do water changes every week of 5 gallons, and use RO water for top off's all the time... Waiting on a pump to arrive in the mail to add to other side of tank, and Buying a sump from melev in 2 weeks that he is makeing for my tank...

Here is some pictures of the LR I purchased today from my LFS that he got today from someone that was moving and couldn't take their tank with them, He sold me this cured LR for $3lb, not bad for being in the right place at the right time...

Here is a Full tank shot with everything in it:

This is now what my tank looks like and awaiting more things to come... Thanks for everyone's input to this thread of my tank, hope to keep it updated for awhile with plenty of pictures...
Old 04/15/2006, 11:56 PM
Premium Member

bump, would like some input on the rocl I just added to the tank ???
Old 04/22/2006, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

New addition to the tank, When I got more LR, Haven't got a picture tell the other day, so here is a picture of my Black & white Percula Clown Fish.

Does anyone know, what would be a good host anemone??? And if I can add a True perk or maybe even a marron clown, or do I have to stick with another Black & white ???
Old 04/22/2006, 05:42 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

cute little guy, i don't normally like perculas, but i do like the black ones alot Your tank is really comming along!

Click on My Gallery for pics of my tank
Click the little red house for my tank diary!!!
Old 04/23/2006, 04:32 AM
Premium Member

Thank you Amber, for the input.

But does anyone have a pictures with a certain anemone, that is hosting their clown fish they can post or a certain kind of anemone that is good for hosting with the black & white percula??? Any suggestions are welcome. Also Want to add a small Dwarf Lion Fish, will that be ok in my tank, along with the percula ??? Thanks everyone
Old 04/23/2006, 08:24 AM
22 And Livin It Up!

i used to have a dwarf lion, but he ended up dying (if you go back in my tank log you will see it) but i wouldn't keep a dwarf with a percula. The percula will end up getting eaten. You could probally get away with a marron clown and a dwarf lion.

As for a anemone, how many watts is the lighting you have over the tank? You might be able to get away with a bubbe tip, but i wouldn't add one untill you get all your LR, an anemone would have to be placed high in tank. Also i would want untill your tank is stable, probally 6 months running, addng one now wouldn't be the best idea.

Old 04/23/2006, 09:56 AM
1coral;qd;prn

any plans on filling that tank up with a good amt. of live rock.. or at least some cheap base rock?? you'd be better off getting all your rock now, rather than putting in 5 lbs here and there at a time.. your livestock will thank you!
Old 04/23/2006, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

I'm picky about the way that I want to add LR, I've been looking around all the LFS around my area and when I see a piece that I like, I buy it... Thats the only reason that I haven't bought a large amount of LR. I have read once that some one order a 50lb. box of Walt smith and all they got was one huge piece, I don't want that to happen to me, doubt that it will, but I rather choice my pieces carefully and just do alittle at a time to get the tank the way I want it the first time... Hopefully I'm doing the right thing, but I'm sure to buy cured LR everytime I got to the LFS and then when it comes home it spends alittle time in a rubbermaid before adding to my tank, haven't had any problems yet, hopefully I won't...
Old 04/24/2006, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

Got these from a friend the other day. Here is 2 pictures of what I got: Their very cool and are doing good since I have added them to the tank. Was wondering from anyone how do you get them to go where you want them ??? or just do they go where they want after their in the tank and then plant themselves where ever they like... Thanks for the help and input on placeing and naming these for me... greatly appreicated

Here is another thing that he gave me:

What is the name or species of this mushroom?

Thanks for all the help...
Old 04/25/2006, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

If anyone wants to chime in, with a good way to put these where I want, or it won't matter because they will go where they want to go... Also Can someone give me the name of these just to be sure... Thanks alot
Old 04/25/2006, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

the top coral in your pic is a xenia coral, they will grow rapidly in a up or out direction, but not down. I believe you need more light to house almost any anemone (around 6 watts per gallon) or it will die in the long run. I hope you are feeding that condy anemone or it may get hungry and eat your fish if you arent careful (there is a pic in my profile of mine eating my copperband). Do you still have the damsels in your tank? If you do, i would probably take them out so you can replace them with friendlier fish. If you dont have them anymore, then its ok. I realize that you said you dont have room under your tank, but the next thing you should get is a sump. It will be the best thing you can do. I remember when i was in your position and I wish I had people to give me advise before i wasted money on things that I would replace in less than 6 months anyway. So research before you buy, and you will save a lot of money!
Old 04/25/2006, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

Thats what I thought the first picture was, just makeing sure... how fast will it grow? & can it over take the tank? My lighting right now is 196 watts right now, but the light that I bought was only $25 from a buddy, couldn't pass it up, going to upgrade though in the long run.

I feed my anemone twice a week, silversides is is favorite, other that I haven't tried anything else yet, but he is doing fine and have had no problems with him since I got him... I have taken out the damsels, Didn't like them anyhow, they were just their for the ride, they came with the tank, when I bought it !!! They were a pain in the *** to catch though... lol I had fun doing that.

I'm in the process of talking to Melev, He is building me a custom sump for me, So waiting on that, can't wait... But I am now getting a sump, and am also adding a nice skimmer in their once I know the deminsions to the sump. I have taken everyone's advice on everything, and my tank is doing great. Thanks to all that have helped by the way...

I'm about to buy a better powerhead, I've been looking at these on Marine Depot, will post link after this post. But thanks for the input annetate.
Old 04/25/2006, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

Here is the link to the pump that I'm going to buy:

Tunze Turbelle Stream

Anyone has any opion's on this pump as well pro's and con's please, But I'm pretty sure this is the one that I want and going to get soon.
Old 04/25/2006, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

they will grow fast.. i have my under 350watts of MH and they grow a new stalk about every week. they can possibly overtake your take if you arent careful, but if you want them to just stay where they are, put them on top of a rock and dont give them anything to attach to... you can also set small rocks next to them and grow frags and maybe trade them in if your lfs will take them.
you will love the sump, it makes everything so much easier. a popular skimmer for relativly cheap is the ASM. I have a G-3. If you want, check out the ASM skimmer forum for more info. Do not attempt to keep an anemone under the PC's you have. I've tried it and failed. Just save your money and get some T-5's or MH's. and you will save money by not buying things that will die off. It sounds like you are off to a good start and keep us posted.
Old 04/25/2006, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

I have placed some little rocks around the xenia so maybe they will grow onto that... Maybe I'll be able to trade with my LFS ??? What do you think about the powerhead that I want to get??? The link is above so feel free to check it out.. & let me know what you think... thanks
Old 04/25/2006, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

i havent owned one, wish i did, but they are sooo expensive
Old 04/25/2006, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

So their nice pumps then... They come with a 2 year warranty, and they only draw 11watts... I like that its very effiecent and it also has good flow... 1600gph not bad... LOL
Old 04/25/2006, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

does anyone know what is the name of my secound picture up above of a mushroom that I got? does anyone recognize it ???
Old 04/25/2006, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Actinodiscus sp.
Old 04/25/2006, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Stacy
Old 04/26/2006, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

Got these the other day, Thought they would be a nice addition, their color is awasome, and I can't wait to be able to catch a photo of them cleaning a fish... I think that would be a cool photo !!!

My Black & White Percula wanted to get in the picture as well, He has been in the tank for 2 weeks now, & he is doing great also. Going to purchase some LR tomorrow from a RC member, and then add to my tank tomorrow night. The LR has been in his tank for awhile now, and should be fine to add right to my tank.

Spotted something else cool in the tank today, I'll see if I can get a picture, its a spot of white with purple around it, I've been told thats coralline algae starting to grow in my tank, so I'll see if I can get a good picture for you guys. I am excited that my tank is going along nicely, I can't wait tell its done, well I don't think it will ever be done because of the fact, things always change... But anyhow here is a picture of my Skunk Cleaner Shrimp:

If anyone wants to comment feel free too, As I will be updateing all the time with new pictures... Thanks for the inputs already
Old 04/26/2006, 10:35 AM
22 And Livin It Up!

nice cleaner shrimp

Old 04/26/2006, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

sexy
Old 04/27/2006, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

New Additions to the Tank.

Today I got these 2 things to add to my tank, I had to take some pictures and post them here, The starfish is doing really well and is moving all over, and the anemone was placed on the top of the rock, but he is on the move right now to somewhere he wants to be... I don't know if they like the sand or the rock better or if they like to wedge themselves into a corner with rock behind them? I'm sure I will wake up in the morning and find him in a new place so it will be cool to see where he goes threw the night.

I'm hoping that my Black & White percula will want to host in this anemone as I don't want to add anymore to the tank, 2 is fine for me.

here is the pictures:

here is the anemone picture:

Hopefully everything will be fine and the things that I got today will work out.
Old 04/27/2006, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Today when I also got home from work. I had found out that one of my Skunk cleaner shrimp were gone... I had thought to myself would he go crazy and want to jump, or would something really want him that bad... Well have a quick search around the tank outside, & finding nothing, I knew it had to be in the tank !!!

Well turns out that my First anemone that I had purchased was the proud owner of his dinner tonight, He had swallowed the whole shrimp, Wish I could of seen it to see if the shrimp put up any kind of battle up, but still sucks to lose a resident of your tank for only one day. Hopefully my other one will be ok and nothing will happen to him, I guess I'm going to feed my Pink Tip more silversides to keep him happy so that he won't want anything else. I'll see if I can get a picture when the anemone spits the skunk back out to show everyone. Thanks for the input to this thread.