Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2005, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...92#post6187992
Old 11/29/2005, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

i only have bubbles in a few spots. i got most out ok but i did break 1 or 2. we'll see. i have or had 1 emerald crab in the 33. all the red algea i hated is gone, now was it the crab or that part of the cycle? i'll get more when the lfs has them again
Old 11/29/2005, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

we did it again! how many splits now? are we going for an rc record?
Old 11/29/2005, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

anyone not want a mantis from their rock?

If anyone happens to get a shipment of the TBS rock with a mantis they don't want and is willing to ship it...please give me an e-mail at shadyman_210@hotmail.com. I'm willing to pay shipping and possibly a little more for your troubles.

Thanks.
Old 11/29/2005, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

pat - your pics are getting to the awesome stage - and the three fish in a line is a classic
Old 11/30/2005, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

Bob, there is a little bit of maroon like stuff in the TBS tank, that almost appears to be hairy. It's the same stuff we had on our part 1 when we got it. It disappeared, and now I can see some on a rock. I'll get a picture of it later. It isn't out of control though, and stays close to the rock.

On another note, thanks for the nice comments on the pictures. I do need to get a tripod....I'm working on it. Even the slightest movement makes the pictures blurry. I've been trying to stay as steady as possible, and I have been pleased with a bunch of pictures, but they could get better.
I love these fish pictures because it shows the pretty colors in the background:

The sun coral I got that I wasn't sure was alive is still hanging in there. I moved it onto a rock last night. Little by little it is opening up more.
Old 11/30/2005, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

Bob, here is the red fuzzy stuff in the TBS tank. The last picture is a bubble I have on the rock in the other tank.
Old 11/30/2005, 09:41 AM
forever newbie

Pat, I think the red algae is called turf algae.
I agree with the pics with your new camera. They are just simply awesome. You could get a tripod for $30 at BestBuy. I got an olympus stylus 600 with 6.0 megapixels which I am having nothing but problems with.
Old 11/30/2005, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Don't feel bad Peggy. I have an Olympus Stylus 500 and I'm ready to call the manufacturer. It took good pictures when I first got it now for some reason most of the pics are terrible. If I take a pic inside with the flash everything is washed out. It didn't do that when I first got it.
Old 11/30/2005, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

I was really happy with my Olympus C-770. I had many awesome pictures from it. I just couldn't get shots in the middle or back of the tank. I also couldn't figure out how to use the macro part. But you just can't compare the snap and shoots with the SLR's. It's not a fair comparison.
I'm working on a tripod, but wanted to get one a little better than just a cheapie. I have one here, but I don't like the way the camera sits on the plate....so I don't use it.

Red turf algae, huh? It doesn't seem to be bothering anything and at least it's a pretty color. I think I have some in the new tank too, but it just isn't as large as the pictures I just showed.
Old 11/30/2005, 11:44 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Red turf algae, huh? It doesn't seem to be bothering anything and at least it's a pretty color. I think I have some in the new tank too, but it just isn't as large as the pictures I just showed.
Pat,

Man, that looks like the same stuff I had in my tank. It is hard to confirm that without feeling it, but if it is pretty tough to the touch and hard to remove, then it is probably the same stuff. That stuff was my worst nightmare (other than the cirolanids). I tried cooking the rock in a dark container for over a month and it didn't go away, in fact it looked like it was continuing to spread. I ended up destroying those two rocks (air drying them) to prevent that algae from spreading to other rocks.

Mine didn't appear to spread to other rocks, so you might be safe, but if that spot continues to grow I would suggest you remove it before it becomes a problem.

Brian
Old 11/30/2005, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Why is it so bad Brian? What does it do that makes it bad and you want to get rid of it?

Cool pictures of Benny I got today. What is that stuff inside the barnacle?
Old 11/30/2005, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

pat, that looks like it. only in one spot on a rock and onto the sand. glad your sun coral is doing ok. i 'm sorry i bought one. too much trouble feeding it and its closed most of the light period.if theres someone local that wants it, i'll trade for some xenia
Old 11/30/2005, 12:38 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Why is it so bad Brian? What does it do that makes it bad and you want to get rid of it?
Pat,

That algae overgrew and killed (probably by lack of light) one of my very healthy tube coral colonies. I was afraid it would spread and cover other corals I actually purchased. It was more of a preventative measure for me.

B.
Old 11/30/2005, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Bob,I don't have any Xenia, but I'll buy the coral from you if it's alive.

I am expecting an order from Pet Solutions today, and UPS tracking shows it's out for delivery.
I just heard the puppies barking as I was finishing up that last post. I heard Bob say TY, so I was like....yes, at least my fish are here.
I post the post, then go to get the package, and it's from Amazon.com.
I'm like.....where's the fish? Bob say's I don't know....maybe they're trying to look for it in the truck, they're still out there.
So I go outside and ask them if they have my overnight package. He says no. He says I am on his list, but he doesn't have the package. I said, oh, so someone else will deliver it today? He says he hopes so. I said, it's fish, I need it today. I said the tracking shows it's out for delivery. He says that means it's on the wrong truck. He tells me to call the office, then he takes his cell and calls.
They're going to try and track where it is.
Can you believe this?
Old 11/30/2005, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

pat, your luck! the sun coral is not only alive, i see new polyps on it. i just had a thought , maybe i'll see if theres a spot in the 33 for it, otherwise its yours
Old 11/30/2005, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Bob, sent you a PM.
Old 11/30/2005, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
pat, your luck! the sun coral is not only alive, i see new polyps on it. i just had a thought , maybe i'll see if theres a spot in the 33 for it, otherwise its yours
Sounds good Bob....just let me know.

ID THIS STUFF PLEASE

and just 2 of the feather dusters I was never able to get a shot of.

Old 11/30/2005, 01:32 PM
forever newbie

Those are hydroids. Not good.
Old 11/30/2005, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

Which are hydroids?
Old 11/30/2005, 07:21 PM
forever newbie

2nd, 3rd and 4th pics are hydroids.
Old 12/01/2005, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

Here are a couple of pictures of Bob's sun coral. Sure looks nice to me!

Peggy, thanks for letting me know which are hydroids.
I tried to take pictures of all the bad things I have in the tank that I don't have ID's for. How do I get rid of it? I have quite a bit evidently.
Old 12/01/2005, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

i just wish it would be open during peak tank watching times
Old 12/01/2005, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

my next problem is my condi, it's now 8 months in the tank,it must be at least 10" across. this in a tank 12x13x48. it may have to go. i'm affraid it's going to harm some of the corals
Old 12/01/2005, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

I got rid of my condy a long time ago for that same reason. Now I'm thinking the flower anemone is getting too big.

Last edited by drk70; 12/01/2005 at 10:38 AM.