Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2005, 10:53 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by TekCat
What about anemonies? ...or am I pushing ?
I'd get a little experience under my belt before adding an anemone. They require a well seasoned tank and can be difficult for the beginner to maintain. Your lights should handle most anemones. Here is more infomation on Anemones. Adobe.pdf file format

Tom
Old 11/03/2005, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Add more snails when you have more algae growing in your tank. If you add more before they have more to eat the snails could starve. The Nassarius will eat up meaty foods that your fish don't eat. I'm not 100% sure but you may want to supplement their diet till you get some fish. They like to eat meaty foods. I have seen my Nassarius eating algae off the glass of my tank though.

On a side note, how do you like the adaptor that you have on your powerhead? I was thinking of buying one for my MaxiJet 1200.
Old 11/03/2005, 02:29 PM
Bogus Information Expert

I always throw a newborn or two into the tank to feed them. After all, that formula and diapers will use up the money you could be using on your tank.

Tom
Old 11/03/2005, 09:56 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Those Nassarius snails quite a runners they are small but run like hell ..Baha's quite a bore though

dzovi, You're saying that Nassarius will starve without a fish in tank? I have very little algea so far, I hope it is enough.

WaterKeeper, good idea, but when do I get a newborn this time of year

My plan was in two weeks after the tank had been stable after introduction of first batch of snails, add more snails, (not sure about hermits), and perhaps a starfish (the one that is reef and DSB safe, if there's such a beast). And after another week add a clown fish or something peacefull.
Old 11/04/2005, 12:55 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by dzovi
On a side note, how do you like the adaptor that you have on your powerhead? I was thinking of buying one for my MaxiJet 1200.
If the adapter you mean mounting,... it is nice, but I think it is too big and bulky.
Old 11/04/2005, 02:00 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

If there is not enough algea, what do I feed the tank with snails only?
Old 11/04/2005, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

They eat the meaty food that the clowns and shrimp in my tank miss. Mine primarily get Ocean Formula One and raw shrimp. I've seen them on the glass of my aquarium at night so I know that they will eat algae as well. I think they are a nocturnal snail but they will wake up if you give them a meaty food to eat.
Old 11/04/2005, 03:10 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

First casualty

After I read Dr.Ron's article about snails (very very helpful), I am glad that I did not get any Astraea or Margarita snails. I hate to see them cook alive in warm water. Still, I think one of my Baha snails already met his maker I found its empty shell on the sand floor, I have no idea where it went, I assumed it is dead. There are no crabs present (to my knowledge) so, where did it go?
Old 11/04/2005, 07:52 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Started dosing DT polyplankton lets see what comes out of the rocks
Old 11/05/2005, 01:42 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

I wish I read earlier that skimmer should be off for an hour after feeding polyplankton. I got most of it in my skimmer cup .

Anyways:

Temp 82.5
pH 8.2
SG 1.025
ammonia 0
trites 0
trates 10
dKH 8

I've found something trying to grow out of the rock ... looks like white solid tube... I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Also some of the rock's surface it turning brownish... diatoms I suppose... I hope it'll pass.
Old 11/05/2005, 02:33 AM
Moved On

BTW... That's phytoplankton and you don't really need to feed it to your tank especially since it's so new and you hardly have any livestock in it. This stuff gets pretty expensive after a while if you buy. Many on RC myself included choose to culture our own phytoplankton. It's very easy to do and economical as well
Old 11/05/2005, 11:08 AM
Bogus Information Expert

Here is an article on DIY Phyto.

Tom
Old 11/07/2005, 07:21 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

I wish I was "blessed with a basement" I am not, so it is rather difficult to convert my apartment into plankton/shrimp breeding farm So, I'll just have bite the bullet and buy plankton.

I am gathering info and planning to build a fuge (the choice of the day is 10g walmart tank).

Another thing had occured, most of my rocks turned brown. Diatoms I presume. For a few days it was only on 2 rocks and one area on the glass. Overnight it took over everything. My Baha snails seem to be happy and eating like crazy. Also I saw strains their eggs on the glass and on one of the rocks. Should I clean it or let them be? In any case, I ordered a few more snails and hermits from Jeff's Exotic Fish. When they arrive, they'll have lots of things to chew on.

My lights arrived!!!!!!! ... I have to pick them up though. Can't wait to install them I will make pics of the tank with new lighting
Old 11/08/2005, 04:42 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Angry lights don't fit

Fist of all, the lights I got are really cool!!!!!!!!! very well built. But now, I tried to install it and the legs on the hood are designed for much wider tank . My tank is only 13" wide, and the feet barely touching outside of the tank (on the fitting try). So, I am back to 30w lighting I wrote to the aquauniverse, hopefully they have something that would work for me.
Old 11/08/2005, 06:08 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Or add some chains and suspend the lights from the ceiling.

Tom
Old 11/08/2005, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

whats the name brand of the lights? your tank looks like its coming along.
Old 11/09/2005, 12:32 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by SWANK
whats the name brand of the lights? your tank looks like its coming along.
Thanks
my lights are here
Old 11/09/2005, 12:40 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
Or add some chains and suspend the lights from the ceiling.
My fiance is going to kill me if I do that Besides I am not looking forward transforming my living room into "pain room"
Old 11/09/2005, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

Where do you buy eggcrate?
Old 11/09/2005, 05:35 AM
Registered Member

egg crate is found in the lighting section at home depot.
Old 11/09/2005, 09:44 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Hm... making a light stand out of an eggcrate? Interesting idea, anyone have done it? Any pics of what it looks like?
Old 11/09/2005, 09:51 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Angry Temp 86.5

Last night tank's water params were pretty good amm and trites were zero, I did 8% water change (planning to do it biweekly) and accidently moved thermostat. This morning temperature of the tank was 86.5 F!!!!! Snails seem to have survived, not sure about the living creatures in the sand. I turned the dial back to 82, I hope I didn't kill everything.
Old 11/09/2005, 10:42 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

I saw a pod!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11/09/2005, 11:33 AM
Bogus Information Expert

That temp shouldn't be a real problem, especially if it was only for overnight. Thinks don't go wrong in short order until the temperature tops 90+ degrees.

Tom
Old 11/09/2005, 02:50 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
That temp shouldn't be a real problem, especially if it was only for overnight. Thinks don't go wrong in short order until the temperature tops 90+ degrees.
Ok, if it does, I'll just raise the heat, put some potatoes, carots, and in one hour I'll have very tasty fish stew

On the serious note, I taped heater thermostat dial with ductape on the setting somewhere between 81-82. Lets see where it'll bring me.