Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 07/12/2005, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...41#post5303541
Old 07/12/2005, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

I ordered from Petsolutions and I think I'll be fine if the fish arrives dead. Just the hassle and we were looking forward to seeing some activity in the tank soon.
Old 07/12/2005, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

This is where the fish was supposed to be right now.

But my wife got anxious on Sunday and ordered me a few presents.

Present #1

Present #2 from a downward angle through the glass. Better pics to come when they get better adjusted.

These pics don't do them justice. Barry at Clamsdirect sent us some great stuff!

I told her it was a little early for these but she didn't want to listen. Not as if I was really begging her not to either though.
Old 07/13/2005, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

Brian, your clams look fantastic!
Your QT looks like mine....except mine has some dead rock in it for hiding places.
Let us know how the order goes and if the fish made it.

I'm trying to think of the next fish to get....and I'm torn between the yellow clown goby and the citron goby. Bob also needs some fish so I could get one of each but would they be okay in QT together? Also, Bob has a LMB...so would any of those be okay with it?
Here's a picture of Benny. He posed for me last night when I was trying to get pictures of the corals we added to the TBS tank.

Here's a few pictures of his tank:

Old 07/13/2005, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

boy, how many times have we split?
Old 07/13/2005, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
boy, how many times have we split?
A lot!

Are you planning on keeping the Hydor thing on the ph's? How's the rest of the tank coming along?
Old 07/13/2005, 09:39 AM
forever newbie

I'm interesdted in the hydor thing too. I have been using 1 for about a month and I still don't know if I like it. The only thing I know for sure is that the gsp loves it.
Old 07/13/2005, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

i'll keep the heads. i've got one in the new tank and one in the tbs tank, they need more evaluation. the new tank is almost ready to go, i talked to richard this morning and their weeks behind so i placed my order.now i'll wait like last time only i have a running tank to keep me happy
Old 07/13/2005, 10:03 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Pat, seems you still have a lot of snails in the TBS tank!! How many total did you get with that package?
Old 07/13/2005, 10:16 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Hey all,

Dr Ron, identified my snail as: "It is a trochoidean, probably a small individual of a Turbo haraldi.. " These are excellent algae grazing snails, so I got another GOOD hitchhiker

I also managed to kill off my "arnold"...you might say he was terminated? I think that is the last gorilla crab.

I decided to "cook" three of my pieces of liverock as they were rapidly being taken over by a red turf type algae. Unfortunately I made a huge mistake when starting, I added a pitcher of freshwater to the bucket instead of saltwater, sending the salinity down to 1.19! DOH! I wouldn't have been too worried about it, except I had a urchin in there that refused to come off one of the rocks and also one of my bisma worms. Unfortunately the urchin died and the bisma ejected from its home...so it will probably die too

For those who have never seen it, here is a bisma(related to Christmas tree worms) out of its home, followed by a pic of the turf algae that caused this mess.

On a slightly happier note, here are some new zoas under my QT light...in the store these things POP under actinics...3 more weeks and I'll see that in my tank Pat I think these are very similar to one of yours.

B.
Old 07/13/2005, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

wow those worms sure are ugly outside the live rock!

alrighty - my one spare moment to post...I agree with bob - split again!!! can't believe it.

Busy busy over here - just barely have enough time to monitor calcium/alk levels. Oh I picked up a pinpoint PH monitor - noticed my PH hovers at around 8.0 lights on and 7.9 lights off.

I'm sooooooo tempted to pick up the phone and order some things from chad or sharkys or dr macs but just no time! New job, longer commute all equals Less time for tank! BUT...more disposable income for tank....
Old 07/13/2005, 02:35 PM
Premium Member

Brian, glad to hear you got a good hitchhiker for a change! That worm looks pretty ugly. The zoas look similar, but yours seem to have more brown in the center.

Bob, hope you don't have to wait too long for your rock. It's good you ordered it now.

Phil, that stinks you don't have much time for the tank. Do you have weekends off at least?

All my corals are looking good.
But I HATE the new seio. The thing is driving me crazy. I should have just bitten the bullet and gotten another Tunze. It makes noise. It vibrates on the glass, so I put a piece of rubber behind it to try and stop it. It silenced it for a little while, then it started again. I then took a small piece and put it under the top piece on the glass. It worked slightly....but then I stared hearing weird noises every now and then, and see it's throwing zillions of mb into the tank.
I can't find a spot where it doesn't blow sand all around, and I just can't stand it in general. The only thing I do like about it, is the way you can rotate it. I wish I could do that with the Tunze. I turn it off for about ½ the day, just so I can have some peace and quiet.
Old 07/13/2005, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Pat the wierd sound and the mb is from sucking air from the surface. try moving it down a little and aim it up at the surface. this should help with the surface noise and the SB problem.

how do you have it mounted? mine are silent.

does any one know how to crop in photoshop? i have version 6.0.
Old 07/13/2005, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

Good news! The fish actually looks pretty good! My wife was home to get it and at first she thought it was dead. She took the bag out of the box and it was just laying on it's side. Then she looked close and noticed that it was barely moving it's gills! I told her to hurry up and start soaking the bag in the QT tank and wait about 15-20 minutes and then add a cup of tank water to it. She did this for me ( while I'm at work swearing at the UPS planes for being late ) every 15 minutes for the 90 minutes. All I can say now is that the fish looks great!! Doesn't look like the normal lined variety of Kole tang but more like the Blue Dot ones. Can't wait to see if it eats and put it in the Main tank. I'll have to get a pic as I'm really happy with how it looks.
Old 07/13/2005, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

OH, and on a totally different subject, can someone tell me a quick easy way to reduce the size of my pics without cropping the heck out of them? This is the lowest resolution setting and I just haven't had a ton of time to read the manual for the software that came with the camera. Gotta love it when they send you a disk instead of hardcopy!
Old 07/13/2005, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

well, i couldnt crop the files yet, so this is all i have to offer

left side

central

right side

and the uncropped full tank shot

B your zoas look similar to some i got from Blane Perun's farms at the sea. they looked almost identical to yours. after several months under my care they now look like this. \/
Old 07/13/2005, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

brian - kinda depends on what you are using...PC/Mac and if PC - what windows version you are running. If you're using XP, all you need to do is right mouse click and edit the file. There should be a resolution which you can change from 100% (default) to 50% or something or other. I forget if it's resolution (sorry I'm on win 2000 here at work).

Pat - I agree with landon on the seio. That blue knob needs to be totally submerged. As for the vibration that is strange - mine doesn't make as much vibration as my old maxi-jet. however mine is a 820 so I dunno if that makes a difference or not.

Landon - I have 6.0 and again - b/c i'm at work I can't recall exactly how to do it - but there is definitely a "crop" choice under one of the menus...
Old 07/13/2005, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Phil. I'll give it a try. I just don't want to kill everyone with these large images all the time. I don't mind looking at them that big though! But I'm partial to them.
Old 07/13/2005, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

Phil, if you dont mind shotting me a PM with which menu its under id appreciate it.

bkelley, what do you use to host your pics? photobucket has a downsize option. the big pics arent bad for personal use, but i think they have some adverse effect on the RC server and i particularly dont like not being able to see the whole shot on the page. i had to set each of your pics as a desktop just to be able to see them.
Old 07/13/2005, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

I'm using photobucket too. They used to reduce them till my we paid the fee. Before it was too small, now they're too big. See what I can do though.
Old 07/13/2005, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Brian, send me your email addy....I'll send you over a re-sizing program.

Landon, what is the bright red thing in the center shot?
What is the big bright blue thing in the right side?

Does anyone know the answer if we can keep a clown goby and citron in the tank together and are they reef safe?

Also, I do have the blue thing on the seio under the water.
Right now it's working okay, so I don't want to touch it. When it starts acting up again, I will adjust it shotting more upward.
I have it mounted Tunze style.
Old 07/13/2005, 05:03 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
well, i couldnt crop the files yet, so this is all i have to offer

B your zoas look similar to some i got from Blane Perun's farms at the sea. they looked almost identical to yours. after several months under my care they now look like this. \/
Man Landon, your tank gives me hope. I sure hope mine looks like that someday. My wife keeps asking me when our tank will be pretty like other people's tanks

Yeah, those zoas look very similar to mine, they look rather bland under the 6700K QT light, can't wait to get them under the super actinics and 10K MH

B.
Old 07/13/2005, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Thanks Phil. I'll give it a try. I just don't want to kill everyone with these large images all the time. I don't mind looking at them that big though! But I'm partial to them.
back home now...

Right mouse click (assuming you are using a pc and xp) - choose edit, then choose stretch/skew. It should be defaulted at 100% - adjust it until the pic is....say 1/3 of your screen (it should fit in the upper left of your viewing area comfortably).

landon - you have a pm.

Pat - I think the red thing in landon's tank is a big brain coral - lobo something or other. The blue thing I thought was a crocea clam - but I guess it could be a maxima.
Old 07/13/2005, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

i keep worrying about flow rates and patterns, high and med currents and if mine is ok. today i stopped at a lfs. hes got a 55 display with softys. 4x96pc's about 12" over the tank and a glass top. his flow rate is very low, ie. the corals barely move and they are growing and spreading all over the rocks and glass! i'm wondering if flow is more important with hard corals. why this subject is driving me nuts, i'll never figure out.
Old 07/13/2005, 08:28 PM
Abba-Zaba!

WOW long thread...