Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/13/2005, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

Question spotted red mushy. how to make him happier and hopefully spliting?

ok well a while back i recieved a red mushy with a couple spots or bumbs not many i doupt its a ricoridia or yuma. anyways had it for a while i think its grown a bit hes around 40mm in diameter now and when i got him i beleive he was around 30mm-40mm so not sure!

basically i want him to be happy and make little shrooms. my previous experience with shrooms was some normal flat ones which were in a 32gallon tall tank about 16 inches from 3 x 20watt floros. they did well and made little shrooms. this one however dosen't seem to want to. this red shroom however is in a 7.5g nano cube and is about 24cm from my current nano lighting, 3 x 15watt 6400k pc screw ins. i live in australia and not alot of nano reef lighting is avaliable. i have been looking into gettin some actinic lighting for the tank.

so what can i do to make him grow larger and make little shrooms, or am i going to have to wait?

andrew
Old 05/13/2005, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Well the easit and quickest way is to manually frag it and cut it into a few smaller pieces.
Old 05/13/2005, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

You could move him into the dark and he will move to the light and maybe leave some babies in the path.
But I agree with jedininja cut his head off then cut him in two, make sure the pieces can't float away.

http://www.nmOceanKeepers.com/
Old 05/14/2005, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

put him in the dark eh. how woudl i frag him succesfully? other than cutting his head off! could i just cut him right down the middle? how should one frag a mushroom?

andrew
Old 05/14/2005, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

basically to make my question clearer, when fraggint the shroom should i remove it from the tank cut it in half and then rinse it off in tank water then add it back into the main tank? Is there any chance it might not survive the fragging? not very easy to get a "dark place" in my tank but i can try. how slowly will it move towards the light?

andrew
Old 05/19/2005, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

i have seen people basically peel shrooms off a colony and place them on a frag rock, and make multi shroom rocks.
Old 05/19/2005, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

if you kill a mushroom polyp..............give up the hobby
Old 05/19/2005, 11:41 PM
Abba-Zaba!

Quote:
Originally posted by cdw121776
if you kill a mushroom polyp..............give up the hobby
What are you talking about?? You cant "peel" mushrooms either...

Well just take a razor, and cut it right down the middle, so there are two halfs, both have a mouth. you can leave it on the rock, they will just be really close to eachother...

Also to make them happy you can feed them.
Old 05/19/2005, 11:43 PM
Abba-Zaba!

oh, and I would put the frags right back were they came from, same light, flow everything.... And you can go it outa water (I put them in a dish, get everything ready, so they dont have to be outa water tooooo long...

HTH,
Max
Old 05/20/2005, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

so remove it into a shallow dish full of tank water and using a very very sharp razor cut it right down the middle. sounds kinda barbaric, but i might give it a try. especialy if i can get my hands on a scalpal. hehehe. i am also considering fragging my leather as i have seen its amazing recovery powers after it got a gash on its base. its extending polyps and happy. ok so cut it right down the middle. also how would i feed it. its not really a ricordia or yuma type mushy it just has a very small amounts of these bumps on it. heres a picture for you guys too!

also what would i feed it? i have moved it since the photo up a bit on the rockwork like 4" out of the sand so it looks really cool drapped over the smal odd shaped rock its on.

cheers

andrew
Old 05/20/2005, 07:49 PM
Abba-Zaba!

WHOA thats a nice shroom!