Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/11/2008, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Best tang for hair algae?

Anyone had really good results with tangs eating hair algae? Or anything else that will eat it.

Every time I test the water, nitrates and phosphates are 0 and those are the two things I thought the algae needed to live.

any help?
Old 01/11/2008, 01:07 PM
I Like Toast...

Well, actually this is very common. Your algae is using the nitrates and phosphates in order to grow so your water tests will show 0 (or close to it).

Do you have a fuge set up with macro? I honestly wouldn't plan on a tang in a 30 gal (JMO).

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to KEEP fish and his family will soon be eating Ramen Noodles..."
Old 01/11/2008, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

i haven't updates my info. now it's a 65 gal. I have had macro for about 2 months now and doesn't seem to help.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

65 is still pretty tiny for a tang. in my experience all tangs require a ton of lateral swimming roome. i have a small powder brown in my 75 (4 ft long) and he will certainly outgrow it within 18 months.

if your 65g is the 3ft long version then i would suggest that you not add a tang.
RS 80 Promo
Vortech WWD
Tunze 6025
Eheim 1260 Return
DIY Auto Top off
8G Fuge
aqua uv 15w
Old 01/11/2008, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

can someone answer the question, I would like to know the answer to the question i asked, thanks for your opinion though.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:05 PM
I Like Toast...

I think I would have to agree. Tangs are swimming fools and need lots of room not to mention the water volume needs to be pretty big to handle their messiness.

At any rate, I think we are going to need more info before we can offer too much help with the algae problem.

Fishload, water parameters, RO/DI or not, lighting, feeding schedule, any dowing, etc

Not trying to be hard to get along with, just trying to help out. Most of us here feel your pain about the algae and it CAN be beaten.

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to KEEP fish and his family will soon be eating Ramen Noodles..."
Old 01/11/2008, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

three fish. 2 black oc. clowns and 1 orange anthias
ammonia- 0
nitrates- 0
nitrites- 0
ph- 7.8-8.2
calcium- 425
alk. 11 dkh
RO/DI- yes
lighting- 300 watt HQI combined Coralife fixture, 2 36" double t5 fixtures also Coralife. so 4 actinic bulbs and the 2 halides total
feeding- once a day, usually SF bay brine shrimp or mysis or reef plankton.
dosing- only by a knop calcium reactor with Korallith media
water changes- weekly- about 5-7 gals.
skimming- Euro-reef skimmer
Old 01/11/2008, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

F**k the Tang Police!
Old 01/11/2008, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

I've never had a tang eat hair algae to any significant degree other than occassional picking. I had an algae blenny that did much better, (though I've heard they can also be hit or miss), but at least it would be more suitable to a smaller tank.

How much are you skimming?
Old 01/11/2008, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

HiddenClown, I don't think that there is any tang you can count on to eradicate your hair algae. Once it gets long, I don't see any tang touching the stuff.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

ok thanks. Any other ideas for eating the stuff
Old 01/11/2008, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tydtran
HiddenClown, I don't think that there is any tang you can count on to eradicate your hair algae. Once it gets long, I don't see any tang touching the stuff.
I'd agree with this... I don't think a fish is going to solve your problem. More likely adding to the bioload will only add fuel for the algae. You're better off finding the source of the excess nutrients and eliminating it.

That said, I'll play along. A Ctenochaetus sp. tang is probably the best for that sized tank and that kind of problem. They are relatively small, but would still be rather cramped, especially if there are a number of other fish. They also scrape the rocks with regularity, but don't expect a miracle.

The red house. Click it!!
Old 01/11/2008, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

get in there. pick it off. water change. pick off more. water change. repeat. Turbos, astreas, blue-legs. In time, it will fade.
Old 01/11/2008, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

There's no special type of tang that will always eat hair algae. Best solution is to keep scraping it off , using phosphate removing resin, and good ro/di topoff water.
Old 01/11/2008, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Rabbitfish will eat hair algae -- tangs maybe... My tang never did until I got a rabbit and then the tang seemed to learn from it. I certainly wouldn't keep a rabbitfish is any tank less than 4ft however.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

i wonder if an urchin will eat the algae. i have a tuxedo and he does a great job cleaning my rocks.
RS 80 Promo
Vortech WWD
Tunze 6025
Eheim 1260 Return
DIY Auto Top off
8G Fuge
aqua uv 15w
Old 01/11/2008, 08:56 PM
I Like Toast...

Actually your parameters and tank upkeep look very good! Couple more quick questions though, is the algae on the rocks or bottom? What media are you using for your substrate?

Hang in there, there is a LOT of knowledge on this board. Someone will be able to help you figure this one out.

Old 01/11/2008, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

the algae is on the rocks in the top right corner of the tank and slowly moving outward and it is an araganite substrate (fine sand).
Old 01/11/2008, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

is there anything else I should be testing for in the RO water besides TDS?
Old 01/11/2008, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

What's your magnesium? Keeping it on the high side will help get rid of the algae.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

try a fox face or rabbit fish. I have also had good luck with mexican turbo snails.

Fuzz
Old 01/11/2008, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

magnesium is 1350 ppm
Old 01/12/2008, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Go with a foxface, they eat almost any algae!
Royal gramma
yellow tailed damsel
2 dusters
CB shrimp
14G
percular clown
watchman goby
firefish
pepp. shrimp
red banded goby
Assorted corals
Old 01/12/2008, 12:51 AM
Premium Member

Find the source of your algae problem... And it will take care of itself..

Adding livestock to cure a problem with your water is rarely successful..

Many different variables come together to cause the perfect algae outbreak. You need to find the right combination to cure your problem. this can take time, energy and money. I cure lies with you the reefkeeper aka God.. Not with livestock that will be hit and miss. Remember when you add something to your system you are increasing the bioload which will contribute to your algae problem. Algae needs light, and a food source to grow, sometimes it will take along time to cure the problem.

Myself I would go with good flow, pristine water conditions. Have a large fuge reverse lighting will help stabilize your PH. A heavy duty skimmer, no cheap one here!! and make sure it wet skims. And a reactor to run Rowphos in. and make sure your lights new, cheap lights can give of red spectrums, that promote algae growth..

And lastly no Tangs, or other fish that will be cramped in a 65 gallon....

Happy Reefing
Old 01/12/2008, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

what is your po4 level? phose can cause algae out breaks ........other than that get a cleaning crew turbo snails,bumble bee snails,scarlet red tip crabs all do a great job at eating algae trust me i noe i had the problem before and darf crabs are great....these guys are goign to kill me for this... but hippo blue tang eats algae pretty good mine does and its only a 55 and i had it in a 37 before and its well alive and very friendly lol