Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish

Old 01/10/2008, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

bubble tip anemone in12g aquapod

does any one know if i can keep a bubble tip anemone in a 12gallon aquapod with the standard lights? 1 27 watt actnican 1 27 watt 6700k and 10000k split bulb.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

no u cant keep it under those PC lighting u have. dont even think about it hahahahaha
Old 01/10/2008, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

I would say the lighting is okay, the small size presents a challenge though. People have done it, but you really need to have alot of experience under your belt. The reason being, in such a small tank, conditions fluctuate quickly and this is not good for an anemone. To do it successfully, you wouldn't want any other cnidaria, and at the most you could have one small clown. I see you have lots of years of experience, so you might be able to pull it off. Frequent water changes and keeping a close eye on the system would be necessary, including frequent testing.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

it would be a really cool tank if you could pull it off, only having the BTA and a clown,
i saw a BIG tank like that in california, it was only 1 species of nem and 1 fire clown
it wwas goregous, be nice if you could have a piece of that in your little tank, however thats only if you kept on track with water quality.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shorjai
no u cant keep it under those PC lighting u have. dont even think about it hahahahaha
Shows how much you know. Bubble Tip Anemones are mid light anemones. Which means they hid from Metal Halide for awhile, and it takes them longer to acclimate, which is not good, and they suffer from low watts of PC.

You have 54 watts total, 5.4 watts per gallon. I say maybe. I've seen them do good with like 72 watts in a 12 gallon. But it would be good if you had like 96-108 watts, but that's a big upgrade.

As for size, as long as it stays small, or you plan an upgrade to the tank, or you plan to sell once it gets to big, but if you only have that, and no other coral that it could sting, you could get away with it for awhile. Just make sure you have a good protein skimmer, and keep up with water changes.

Good luck!

Last edited by Obsessed_Reefer; 01/10/2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

I have seen btas under pc's and thrive,Mine are in a 20L under 2 150 watt mh's and they love it.They adjust to the light by finding a spot they like.They were under 130 watt pc's for about 3 months, but when I switched the lights you and can really see a differance in the anemones. Just my .02.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

I think you should be okay.

While I don't suggest it I have a haddoni in my 12 gal. nano.

I bought the tank as you see it. The haddoni has been doing great for five months.

see link.

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...diebday035.jpg
Old 01/11/2008, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Haddoni looks good 57, of course, it will eventually outgrow the tank if you feed it regularly.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

Umm, it's really too big now, but seems to be doing well.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

PC's are perfectly acceptable lights for anemones, assuming that: the bulbs are in the right color temp (daylight), the bulbs are not more than 10 months old, and the anemone is close enough to the bulbs. The problem with PC's is that the light doesn't maintain its intensity into deeper water nearly as well as metal halide. T-5 and MH maintains PAR/intensity deeper into the water column.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

i have a set of black clowns in an aquapod 12 with a rbta and 250 watts of mh over it
and two clams do a 2 1/2 gal water change every 3 days
they are doing great
Old 01/11/2008, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

thanks for all of your input , it has been very helpful. i will let you all know what i decide and post pics if i do get it
Old 01/11/2008, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

(bbridge)250 watts on a 12 gallon sounds like overkill. Wouldn't it be better on your wallet/light bill to have a lower wattage setup?