Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/30/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

i think "formulated" was the word i was looking for...
Old 12/30/2007, 12:27 PM

Here’s how I do it. This is essentially Marc’s recipe and method with some minor changes:
All items are RAW!! I don't use every item listed below in every batch, and the first 5 are not needed to save cost.

Frozen Cyclops (optional)
Frozen Mysid (optional)
Frozen Plankton (optional)
Frozen Brine (optional)
Frozen Formula 2 (optional)
Frozen Mixed Seafood (Asian store, clams & mussels removed)
Frozen Shrimp
Frozen Krill (optional)
Vitamins
Garlic (Garlic Guard or fresh minced)
Shredded Nori (Kizami)
Spirulina (large pellets)
Fresh Seafood (If Available)

I chop the mixed seafood and shrimp. I soak and rinse all frozen items with RO/DI water and allow it to drain thoroughly. Then I mix all ingredients together and ladle into Zip-Loc bags, flatten, and freeze.

When I feed, I thaw in tank water with more vitamins, shredded nori, and drain through a fine shrimp net. Then I place in bowl and dip the bowl in the tank slowly feeding while the fish do their thing.
Discussion:
I do not like putting in pellet foods or powdered spirulina. The whole reason why i make this food is to stay away from pellet and flake food which incorporates too much phosphate and nitrate, and has very little solid food value.

The primary issue is that flake and pellet foods aren't real food in a sense. They cost a fortune per ounce vs. using frozen foods, regardless of whether you are using "people" food or fish food.

Plus you know exactly what your fish are getting and you can tweak it with vitamins you are comfortable with. Volume wise I use about 60 - 70% "human" food in my mix.
I also feel that the cyclops may be more of a risk that it is worth, just because of the particle size. It's extremely difficult to rinse and strain it, and I feel the pollution it causes may be fairly high because of that.

The Garlic is optional of course, and that is a topic all its own. Sherman is always ragging on me for using garlic, just as I rag on everyone else for putting lettuce, broccoli etc. in their tanks. And he's probably right, but it as been my experience that it has helped my fish stay strong in the face of disease. It "may" help boost the immune system but whether that will ever be proved is doubtful. One thing is clear to anyone who has farted in the shower, scents travel fast in water, and it seems to really attract the fish to the food.

One of the most important parts of feeding IMO, is straining the food once you have thawed it. I had for some oddball reason forgotten to do this for consecutive months, and I saw a drastic change in my nuisance algae and water quality. I can only assume it would be MUCH worse in a smaller system.
Another thing to note is that I also remove clams and mussels from the mixed seafood I get at the Asian store. The reason for this is that I don't want my fish getting a taste for clams, and both clams and mussels have a high waste to protein content. They are practically half crap.

On the flip side, shrimp and scallops are extremely high in protein and virtually zero waste product. They have a very high protein to weight ratio, so I tend to go heavy on those two. Scallops are expensive, but shrimp can be found rather cheaply at Asian stores.
And I do not turn off any pumps. I know most reef keepers do, but I like for the food to remain in the water column rather than sink, and I like all the fish to get an equal chance at the food. By turning off the pumps, the food stays in one location, and then the biggest bullies get the bulk of it.
And I also usually have animals in my overflow to get anything that makes it all the way there. This includes a nice gaggle of aiptasia and currently 2 neon blue gobies.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

I tried some romaine lettuce and they didn't touch it. I agree alot of the formulated foods are great. I alos think that mixing it up once in a while is a good thing. Also keeping in mind there digestive systems like J mentioned.

I had Iguanas for a while and they were mainly vegatarians about 80%. They could not eat anthing acidic like oranges. They really liked when tghey had a litle calcium everynow and then and I think it really helped them out overall.

I picked up a 10lb bag of mixed up seafoon for $11. I just need to pick up some of the other goodies to mix in with it. What specific vitamins do you use J? I think I saw Paul use some of C.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/30/2007, 01:38 PM

10 lbs?? Holy cow man, that's huge!

For Vitamins I use VitaChem and the H2O Life line. I really haven't gotten too deep in researching what vitamins are most important to fish yet.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

COol Thanks. Forgot to say I got the mix from Sam's Club..

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/30/2007, 05:06 PM

Sam's Club? Is that some Chinese mixed seafood?
Old 12/30/2007, 11:03 PM
Team RC Member

To contribute to this conversation, my feeding regimen is similar to Jonathan's. I do use garlic in the mix, and I only use fresh seafood from a good grocery store. I do not use brine (poor nutrition if it's not gut loaded) or plankton, and my vitamins consist of Selcon and Zoe. Before mixing it up in a food processor the ingredients are rinsed in RO/DI, and I use the same freezing technique as mentioned. I don't strain my food, however. I break off as much as I want to feed and drop it into the Wavebox. I turn off the sump return pumps. No need for food to go into the overflow and sump, as far as I'm concerned. I do leave the closed loop and wavebox on for the same reasons Jonathan mentioned. Since there's nori in my food mix I don't add nori (or broccoli) to the clip every day. I probably only do this 2 or 3 times/week, actually.

As for an update on my tank, I'm happy to say that after 48 hours the ich is almost completely gone from the PBT. Today I did a water change, siphoned sand, changed filter socks, and tweaked the Ca reactor as the calcium/alk demand has increased a little recently. I'm starting to see a little coralline algae growing on the return nozzles and overflow acrylic (FINALLY!), and the new frags are definitely growing already. Sorry for the lack'o pics. You'll notice that my first listed interest is my daughter, and as it was beautiful today in Austin, all of my non-maintenance time was spent with her. Again, sorry to disappoint, I'll try to make it up to you all soon.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:21 PM

Must be nice to have the great weather. That's why so many people live half a year here, and half a year there.

I only used a nori clip for a couple of weeks because I observed the fish tearing off pieces and a lot of it getting under the rocks. I see this when I watch other people feed their tanks too. That's what got me on the whole shredded nori kick in the first place.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismunn
so why again would you feed broccoli or oranges when you can buy nutritious "engineered" foods?
Hey Chris,

If things are going well for you, dont change it! I started feeding my Red Sea Regal Angel broccoli because all it was eating was mysis, she wouldnt touch anything else. I tried the broccoli in desperation after it was reccomended to me by Lee Birch, leebca on some forums...
Surprisingly, the Regal went nuts for the broccoli and stayed quite healthy for year until one of my Ritteri anemone's wandered into a pump. The tentacles got shredded, the nematocysts from the shredded tentacles went through the water column, and killed all my fish except the clowns....amazingly enough, the Ritteri is still alive....that was well over a month ago..

I currently have a small Purple Tang, a medium Tomini Tang, and a small Vanuatu Regal in QT...the two tangs eat pretty much everything, the Regal just picks at things...not wildly optomistic on its future....

Dudester,
No problems with posting up about the broccoli...the whole point of this website is to share info...besides what works in one case, may or may not work in another. I hadnt thought of the organic frozen broccoli...I need to look into that.

Another thing you might consider, I aquired a small 1 cc syringe from a friend of mine who is a diabetic and a reefer. The syringe was clean, and I use it to inject the broccoli with either Zoe, or Selcon....doesnt stay in a whole lot longer than it would other wise, but a little longer which I assume means the fish are getting more of it...

Nick
Old 12/31/2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Another thing you might consider, I aquired a small 1 cc syringe from a friend of mine who is a diabetic and a reefer. The syringe was clean, and I use it to inject the broccoli with either Zoe, or Selcon....doesnt stay in a whole lot longer than it would other wise, but a little longer which I assume means the fish are getting more of it...
What a fabulous idea!
Old 12/31/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, but if you're wife thinks you're a nut about the hobby already, just try explaining this one to her....

BTW, you can buy clean 12 packs of 1 cc syringes at walgreens I believe.....

Nick
Old 01/11/2008, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

How do you like your lightiing system?

Marty
Old 01/11/2008, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

whatever works then i guess huh? i just sound wierd because there are so many different formulated fish foods on the market that you wouldnt think you would need to stray so far into the un-ordinary. and i suppose that, even thought a stalk of broccoli wouldnt normally find its way into a wild reef, if the fish eats, it eats! intersting to know...
Old 01/12/2008, 03:00 AM
Team RC Member

Marty - I really like the Powermodule. One problem I had was that some salt creep literally glued the acrylic shield in place, and I had to pound it out to remove it. Lesson learned, I'll just have to slide the shield in and out a few inches every couple of weeks to prevent this from recurring. Also, one of the ballasts went bad, but I received a replacement in the mail. I'm hoping to have time to switch it out this weekend. I really like the flexibility of being able to change lamps around to suit my color preference and the needs of the corals. I actually just received 2 new lamps, another ATI blue plus and a KZ Fiji purple. When I change the ballast I'll try out these new lamps, which will hopefully provide a better spectrum for my corals, and a better appearance for my eye.

Chris - Yeah, I don't think a lot of bananas make their way into the ocean either, but fish seem to love it.

Today I made a 2 lb. batch of food. First I went to Kingfish and picked up:

Brightwell Aquatics Vitamarin-M, 250 ml
Brightwell Aquatics Vitamarin-C, 250 ml
Brightwell Aquatics Fish Amino Acids, 250 ml
Selcon, 60 ml
PE mysis, 1 pack
H2O Life Cyclops, 1 pack
H2O Life Mini Mysis, 1 pack
H2O Life Fish and Reef #2
H2O Life Brown Algae

At the grocery store I picked up:
1 lb. fresh shrimp
1/2 lb. fresh scallops
1/4 lb. fresh squid with tentacles
10 live clams

I then pulled out some Cyclop-Eeze, Kent Garlic X-treme and some green algae (nori) that I already had at home. All of the fresh ingredients were kept very cold. I rinsed the PE mysis in some RO water, but nothing else was rinsed.

I split the above ingredients into 2 batches. The liquid additives were poured into the processor, then the fresh seafood and algae sheets were added. These were permitted to soak for about 5 minutes so that the seafood and nori would absorb the vitamins and aminos. I then added the frozen bits and about 10 droppers full of Garlic X-treme before grinding up the gruel. The contents were poured into ziploc bags and flat frozen immediately. I intended to add banana to the mix as well, but I didn't have any at home and by the time I realized it, I was already committed. Let's hope the charges appreciate their upcoming meals!

I've also begun adding some additional ZEOvit supplements. Included are B-Balance, Pohl's Coral Vitalizer, Amino Acid High Concentrate, and perhaps the most exciting product of them all, Sponge Power. I'm also adding a little iodide (Lugol's) to the tank, albeit very sparingly, to hopefully help with coral coloration. I really need to take some pics.