Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/16/2005, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

bluethroat trigger owners

how long did yours take to settle in ? a friend of mine just lost his after a couple of months and he said it never seemed happy and didnt feed properly and hes in the business so he knows how to look after them.
mine has been in for 3 days and is still very shy.
thanks
pasenah
Old 05/16/2005, 03:02 PM
404 errors turn me on

Being in the buisness doesn't neccisarily mean you know what you're doing
Old 05/16/2005, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

Mine took about a week to settle in, meaning she would eat.

Even after many months, she is still very shy. They are not like other Triggers for the most part. When I walk into the room she hides right away and only comes out when I feed or if I am on the other side of the room.

When food hits the tank, she goes into a frenzy and all but ignores anything on the other side of the glass. Thats the Trigger in her coming out I guess.
Old 05/17/2005, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

no need to be negative confooseld, it dosnt help
Old 05/17/2005, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

I know what you mean pasenah. Why do people feel the need to chip in with something that is no help whatsover ?

Anyway, if you pm JEVS on Ultimate Reef, (and he sometimes uses Reef Park too), he had a Blue Throat for agood while. He'll be able to tell you.

Cheers
Old 05/17/2005, 04:10 AM
Aggressive Reef Keeper

Mine only took a couple of days before he was feeding off a feeding stick.

It was about a week in and he started eating everything that hit the tank (flake, frozen, chopped seafood, nori, you name it he eats it).

Now he is much bolder as well. In the begining (first week - two weeks) he would hid if I approached the tank, now he knows I bring food so he pretty much stays out when I am close to the tank.

Dave
Old 05/17/2005, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

thanks everyone
Old 05/17/2005, 06:38 AM
RC Mod

Mine took a couple of weeks to really settle in, but he is still a little more skittish than most other triggers I've kept.

Before everyone jumps on him too much, there is definite validity to what Confooseld said.

Dave
Old 05/17/2005, 07:15 AM
Aggressive Reef Keeper

I agree that there is some truth to what he said, but so many of the threads here (and here goes this one) get side tracked, and the persons initial query goes unanswered and people are really critical.

When I first came here I wasn't even willing to post a question cause I was worried about getting flamed.

Now I get flamed regularly for my comments, but ahh I know what I'm doing and I know what works.

Dave
Old 05/17/2005, 11:24 AM
I May be Ich Free

Quote:
Originally posted by Confooseld
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine
Before everyone jumps on him too much, there is definite validity to what Confooseld said.
Dave
well,,perhaps you could inform original poster regarding the validity of how that mundane useless response assisted with the original inquiry???? also, a spelling class may do wonders to assist with future ramblings.
Quote:
Originally posted by pasenah
how long did yours take to settle in ?
anyways,,i had a bluethroat awhile back and it was not all that active..ended up dying from some kind of bladder issue i think after 8 months.
the behavior of this fish seems varied from timid to somewhat bold..not sure if a timid specimen even once "settled", will ever change.

possibly a good indication on what to expect would be to observe the fish prior to purchase for a couple of weeks. as long as it is not being harassed, then what you observe may be what you can expect.
Old 05/17/2005, 12:00 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Triggerfish
well,,perhaps you could inform original poster regarding the validity of how that mundane useless response assisted with the original inquiry????
It didn't assist with the original question, obviously. Many threads, even with relatively straightfoward questions, branch into side issues of animal husbandry or the hobby in general. I don't see this comment as any different from warning someone away from trusting LFS advice too much.
You can still help someone without answering the direct question they asked.

Dave
Old 05/17/2005, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

I recently got one and he was eating the same day. He is shy at time but not more then my powder blue tang. As a matter of fact I wasn't paying attention while feeding the fish a few days ago and the little bugger latched onto my nuckle. I Jerked as a reflex to the pain of the pinch and out of the tank he flew onto the sofa. I grabbed him and put him back in the tank. He hid for about 10 seconds then continued to eat. I'll have to remember to pay more attention as he gets bigger.
Old 05/17/2005, 07:54 PM
404 errors turn me on

As always people take comments in the worst way possible I posted what I posted because the original poster made it sound as if there was no chance that his buddy could have made a mistake, and was a fish keeping god. Of course I point out the obvious (perhaps he doesn't know how to take care of them properly) and offense is taken. I guess I could have said something like they are hard to care for or he probably got a bad fish but I somehow doubt it. But please flame me I really feel injured by the fact that you find my posts "negative" instead of obvious. But to reiterate what the others said generally they aren't as out going as other fish, and unless you put them in less agressive tanks you will stress the fish until it dies (my guess as to what killed your buddies fish). Of course there is the possibility that I'm just a loud mouth negative poster with no comprehension of marine fish keeping.

Thank you for some help Wolverine I'm glad someone can understand where I'm coming from at least a little.
Old 05/17/2005, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
This is not useless nor is it negative. It helps to broaden his view of who's information he can trust next time. LFS owners are in the bussiness. Do you trust all of them?

As for the Bluethroat, just about every Xanthichthys is shy when first put in the tank for two weeks or so. Tangs and other large moving fish tend to frighten them. They are tough once acclimated though.
Old 05/18/2005, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Confooseld
As always people take comments in the worst way possible I posted what I posted because the original poster made it sound as if there was no chance that his buddy could have made a mistake, and was a fish keeping god. Of course I point out the obvious (perhaps he doesn't know how to take care of them properly) and offense is taken. I guess I could have said something like they are hard to care for or he probably got a bad fish but I somehow doubt it. But please flame me I really feel injured by the fact that you find my posts "negative" instead of obvious. But to reiterate what the others said generally they aren't as out going as other fish, and unless you put them in less agressive tanks you will stress the fish until it dies (my guess as to what killed your buddies fish). Of course there is the possibility that I'm just a loud mouth negative poster with no comprehension of marine fish keeping.

Thank you for some help Wolverine I'm glad someone can understand where I'm coming from at least a little.

why bother putting obvious comments in,obvious isnt helpfull.i did not mean that my friend is a fish keeping god ,we all loose fish now and again, but i meant he didnt put the fish in a tank were it shouldnt be happy i.e in with an aggressive fish or with bad water quality etc ,i was trying to find out if these fish are difficult to keep in general or he was unlucky. i dont trust every lsf but as i said in the original post, he is a friend.
Old 05/18/2005, 06:14 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by pasenah
why bother putting obvious comments in,obvious isnt helpfull.i
What seems obvious to some is not always so for everyone.

Dave
Old 05/18/2005, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Dave
tell that to confooseld
Old 05/18/2005, 08:49 AM
I May be Ich Free

Quote:

Dave
bottom line,,it was an absolute useless post. same as the above. again,,no relevance to original inquiry.

the fish 'can' be difficult to keep, especially if it is not already accepting a wide array of foods.
Old 05/18/2005, 09:35 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Triggerfish
bottom line,,it was an absolute useless post. same as the above. again,,no relevance to original inquiry.
I say again, you can still help someone without answering the original question. It wouldn't take long to find plenty of threads where that's true.

Dave
Old 05/18/2005, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

if you check the original post ,confooseld didnt actually answer the question i asked.i didnt want to know about lfs.
Old 05/18/2005, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

i think this post is going nowhere now.thanks for all the helpful comments.
Old 05/18/2005, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Just a quick reply and then I'm off for something more worthwhile..............

What a load of rubbish gets talked on here sometimes!!

pasenah asked a question. Confusled did not give anything that remotely resembled a helpful answer, and in no way addressed the question, but gave an off the cuff, flippant aside that helped who?

No-one, that's who.

Nuff said. Isn't even something that can be argued with, as it's fact.

Anyway, you see that Blackbird over there? I think it's white. Anyone agree?
Old 05/18/2005, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

who really cares anyway move on