Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Ric Experiment.

I have a ric with to mouths on one polyp. To assist the splitting process, I tied a piece of fishing line to the rubble it is attached to and suspended the polyp in the water. The idea is that gravity would accelerate the splitting process. Has anyone had any success with this method. I am nervous about taking an exacto knife to the polyp.

Thanks for any input.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

just cut it in half. I have 100% success rate on cutting florida ricordea. I guarntee success.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:00 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Just because the mushroom has two mouths doesn't mean it is splitting. I had a Ricordea florida with 6 mouths total in three clusters. Eventually it split in to three pieces one had 3, one had 2, and one had 1 mouth. I also got a Ridordea florida in with 13 mouths, but it was for a friend. I think it went on the way side with a tank crash though.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by currentking
just cut it in half. I have 100% success rate on cutting florida ricordea. I guarntee success.
I agree just cut it... The fishing line just prolonging the process. Use a sharp razor and make a clean cut and you shouldn't have to worry about recovery.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Would I make a clean cut in between the two mouths?
What instrument should I use?
Should I do it outside of the water?
Could it get sick and die?
How do I care for it once the split has been made?
How long will it take to heal?

Just wanted to get this info before I went along with the surgery.
Old 12/19/2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Just cut it like any other mushroom.

Get some tank water in a container and put the coral in there and then take it out of the water and make a clean cut with a sharp razor in between the two mouths then put it back into the container with the tank water. Shake it a little bit to get the brown stringy goo off of it to prevent possible infection then just place it back into the tank. It's that simple. Though sometimes if the two halves are close enough to each other after they are cut they will just heal back together (fun way to hybridize mushrooms).
Old 12/19/2007, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks.

However, I would like to get some additional experiences/techniques before I venture into this surgery.
Old 12/19/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

If you want to frag it, just go for it. I recently chopped up one of my pink yumas which are normally more tempremental by using a pair of sharp scissors and cutting it off the rock, then cutting the disc in 1/2 across the mouth since it only had one mouth. Right now, both of the halves have a full mouth and the bit left on the rock is now a few smaller ricordea. They heal fine as long as they are in a stable tank.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Yea It's not rocket science. Just cut it.

If you have some regular mushrooms you could practice on them if your scared.
Old 12/19/2007, 05:28 PM
is sooing spill chekur

Hey you should use this method, you'll end up with 3 whole mushrooms in the end.

Check out my website for info on fragging mushrooms, and the benefits of Vitamin C on soft corals!
Old 12/19/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Cool article Caleb.

Just to go with that, IME it's best to use surgical sissors instead of regular ones and you need to make sure to rinse the freshly cut pieces off with tank water to get all the brown goo off.
Old 12/19/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

take it out of the water, set it on a cutting board and cut it leaving one mouth on each part. Take it and throw it back in the water. They are hardier than a cockroach in a nuclear war
Old 12/19/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Thanks guys, just got back from Menards with the supplies. I will keep you posted. (By the way, the article was very helpful)
Old 12/20/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

hey travis if your refering to me an that ric its still kickin..an growin like mad..i only have 3 polyps but 14 mouths..an thats no BS..i just counted them..i cant wait till they cover the whole rock..it will be a nice show piece..

scott
Old 12/21/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

show us some pics
Old 12/22/2007, 01:23 AM
is sooing spill chekur

I'm glad you guys liked the article, I was just fragging so many rics that I decided to make a tutorial.

Check out my website for info on fragging mushrooms, and the benefits of Vitamin C on soft corals!
Old 12/27/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

I take mine out of the water cut them with sisors and place them in the bottom to heal up. I have cut them with no mouth before and they grow one within a week or so.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

sometimes when i cut my ricordia, they heal and become one again. so i have to re-cut them till they split.
Old 01/01/2008, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Location: Recently moved from Florida Panhandle to Bham AL. Still trying to figure out why?
Thanks for this thread!!!!!!!!!I just learned alot!!!!!!!!Nice article!!!!!I've got a few that where getting too big and was wondering what to do with them. Now I know. Thanks again.

I'm not bad...I'm just drawn that way!