Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 10/26/2007, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
I have cup corals, tube corals, fire coral, a couple barnacles, a pink urchin, black urchins, turkey wings, and some random sponges, feather dusters, crabs, hermits, and worms remaining from the initial shipments. Still quite happy with TBS rock

I've thought about a 180 but I'm kind of hoping to stick with a 4 foot tank. Ideally I'd llike a 48L X 30W X 25T 150 gallon tank. But I'll probably end up with a 48: X 24W X 31T because it's locally available. Shipping to Montana is REALLY expensive from any of the aquarium builders across the USA/Canada!
Thats cool. I still had a bunch of my stuff alive too. I may go with TBS, but it eems so expensive for a big tank, and I hate to have to track down nasties in something so big. It sounds kind of bad, since I reccomended it to so many people before :P Maybe I should just drop the dollars and do it agian

I thought you were refering to the 72x18x28 150. They have one at the LFS I visit, so I thought that would be the most common one. I didnt even think youd be looking at a 30" wide tank That would be awesome, but you need bigger dreams girl Im dreaming of a 12x4x3 penninsula tank

I do see your point about a 4' tank. I always said Id be happy with a 120 until I moved out of this house, but this 180 came to me for under $200. Lighjting is pretty hard to figure out in 6', where its a lot more standard at 4'.

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
Landon...
A 180 is nice - but at 6 feet - it was just a monster of a tank to handle even in my suv and maneuvering thru the door. I'd have to host a major pizza/drink party for all the guys that I'd need to help me get that thing in the door.

I guess I'm with danielle on the 4 foot long tank...but I went with a 120...my arms are too short to handle the 150. LOL! oh and a 30W 150 would be phat...! i mean fat!!
I concur....its a monster! It fits very nicely in the bed of my pick-up I will have a few strong arms help me carry it in

I totally understand where you are coming from on a 4' tank.
Old 10/31/2007, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

New additions

So you guys have seen a couple of these corals in my last FTS but I thought I'd post a few pictures tonight of my newest corals. When I moved last year I lost my hammer and frogspawn and have really missed having them in the tank. So here's my newest additions:

Frogspawn (right after shipping):

Close up of frogspawn:

Torch Coral:

Hammer Coral (I had a bit of die-off with shipping but I think it's doing better now):

Couple of close-ups of hammer (I'd never seen a hammer quite like this one before):

Old 11/01/2007, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

They look nice Danielle. I always liked the euphyllia corals.
Old 11/01/2007, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

They look great Danielle! Are you still getting all your corals online or did you find a place near your new house to get corals?
Old 11/01/2007, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
They look great Danielle! Are you still getting all your corals online or did you find a place near your new house to get corals?
I got the hammer through Sharky's reef and the torch & frogspawn through Dr. Mac.

There isn't really anyone to get corals or saltwater-related items through locally, which makes it a bit difficult.
Old 11/01/2007, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

ok, this is probably a stupid question considering how many thousands upon thousands of pages this thread spans.....

but....

what is TBS?

I did my fair share of searching but found nothing to help me, and everybody in this thread talks about it like its common knowledge

thanks!
ryan
Old 11/01/2007, 09:14 PM
King of the Tank!

Ryan - TBS stands for Tampa Bay Saltwater which supplies, IMO, the best live rock. Richard is the owner and is an RC sponsor. You can get more info on their Sponsor page: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=213

Jay
Old 11/01/2007, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanBrucks
ok, this is probably a stupid question considering how many thousands upon thousands of pages this thread spans.....

but....

what is TBS?

I did my fair share of searching but found nothing to help me, and everybody in this thread talks about it like its common knowledge

thanks!
ryan
TBS = Tampa Bay Saltwater
Old 11/01/2007, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanBrucks

but....

what is TBS?

thanks!
ryan
TBS = Tampa Bay Saltwater

TBS sells "The Package." The Package includes aquacultured live rock, sand, and a clean-up crew. TBS ships all their rock, sand, etc in water so you have more life on your rock when it gets to your local airport for you to pick-up.
Old 11/04/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Oh man, this was a chore!! It's probably been a year since Brett and I posted so I had to do a ton of searching to find this thread again!!!! If y'all remember, we had been attempting to do a true Caribbean reef tank, which turned out to be almost impossible. So we compromised and decided to just go super slow and do a really pretty tank. Our TBS rock is still awesome with new sponges coming and going. We just discover that almost 3 years later, we still have some mithrax crabs in the tank!! We survived multiple battles with red slime algae, a couple of battles with green hair algae and intermittent bouts with brown algae. Our original condy is still the centerpiece of our tank and we still have our original cuke. We lost most of our tube corals during a power outage due to hurricane activities but not a lot of anything else. I'll have to post some new pictures soon. Hope all the "old TBS timers" are still doing well!!!

Sally and Brett
Old 11/16/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

hi all! had to post this. my orignal tbs tank is now 2 1/2 yrs old. i just found a new,empty gorilla shell! i just don't believe there still some alive
Old 11/16/2007, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
hi all! had to post this. my orignal tbs tank is now 2 1/2 yrs old. i just found a new,empty gorilla shell! i just don't believe there still some alive
Why would you be shocked? Look at all the other things you still have living for the past 2½ years....I bet you still have quite a few hermits too.
Old 11/16/2007, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
Oh man, this was a chore!! It's probably been a year since Brett and I posted so I had to do a ton of searching to find this thread again!!!! If y'all remember, we had been attempting to do a true Caribbean reef tank, which turned out to be almost impossible. So we compromised and decided to just go super slow and do a really pretty tank. Our TBS rock is still awesome with new sponges coming and going. We just discover that almost 3 years later, we still have some mithrax crabs in the tank!! We survived multiple battles with red slime algae, a couple of battles with green hair algae and intermittent bouts with brown algae. Our original condy is still the centerpiece of our tank and we still have our original cuke. We lost most of our tube corals during a power outage due to hurricane activities but not a lot of anything else. I'll have to post some new pictures soon. Hope all the "old TBS timers" are still doing well!!!

Sally and Brett
Hi Sally....I'd love to see some new pictures. Your tank was beautiful when I saw it in person. I'm sure it's even more stunning now.
Old 11/17/2007, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

Our tank is also over two years old. We still have gorilla and mithrax crabs that show thems now and then. Our original condy is doing well and being taken care of by a maroon clown. Our original cuke is huge and continues to clean the sand bed. Our sponges are not as colorful as they were in the beginning, (mostly due to the fact that our rocks are now completely purple and that color overpowers just about everything!) but we still have quite a variety of sponges. We never did have a problem with aptaisia like some did, but we do have a huge, gorgeous one that appeared down in the refugium. Our pistol shrimp that came with the rock still crack away and never show more than their antennae and then only when they are doing their "spring cleaning".

We switched to t-5 lighting a few months ago and are really pleased with how it looks. Plus the way the t-5's are mounted on the top of the canopy gives us so much room for tank maintenense.

There are days when I regret having gotten the 150 gal tank over a smaller one, mostly on the days I have to clean the glass way down by the sand! But then when it is all cleaned up and I sit back and admire it, I pity anyone who has something smaller than ours! LOL

I'll post some pictures later today after the lights come up.
Old 11/17/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

pat, how are you doing? i must admit, about the only thing i have lost over time seams to be the bivales. i got rid of the condi because of the size it got and the peppermints were a pain eating my rics. i kept 1 urchin and thats fine as well.
Old 11/17/2007, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
pat, how are you doing? i must admit, about the only thing i have lost over time seams to be the bivales. i got rid of the condi because of the size it got and the peppermints were a pain eating my rics. i kept 1 urchin and thats fine as well.
I doing pretty good Bob, thanks for asking. I've been staying very busy with the puppies and having a bunch of work done on the house. When I sold the tank this summer, there were tons of things still alive after well over 2.5 years.
Old 11/20/2007, 10:19 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

Here are some recent pics...

Here are some recent pics of my TBS reef.

Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 11/21/2007, 02:29 AM
King of the Tank!

Tank looks awesome Wooglin!! Your tank was one, along with this thread, that inspired me to use TBS. What camera are you using?

Jay
Old 11/21/2007, 08:26 AM
Premium Member

Wheres the rock!?

Your tank really has grown in!
Old 11/21/2007, 09:08 AM
Mine is 48", and yours?

Quote:
Originally posted by jmait769
Tank looks awesome Wooglin!! Your tank was one, along with this thread, that inspired me to use TBS. What camera are you using?

Jay
Thanks for the kind comments. I use a Pentax K10D DSLR.
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel