Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/27/2005, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Well I'm 23, I took this semester off but I'm planning on going next semester.

Here's a thread if you want to see some more pics....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=596694
Old 06/27/2005, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

When I find the camera, I'll get a picture... I'm a senior this coming year in High School.
Old 06/27/2005, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

you guys know that most of us have to work hard for the money right??? But since we are kinds we dont have to spend alot of it on bills taxes, other payments. Alot of kids ( including me) have to buy everything no parental help. so we arent all spoiled. i only have like 5 $ to spend on my tank each month so i have to save to get new things
Old 06/27/2005, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

greg i didnt know you were only 23. You have been my inspiration. everytime i look through mags and see prices on equipment i just look at your tank and think that one day mine will look somewhat like that
Old 06/27/2005, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

I'm 24, first is is my 75g in highschool, second pic is my current 30g tank (lack of space prevents me from getting a larger tank)

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 06/27/2005, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

im 13, got into the hobby when i was 12 in 8th grade and im going into 9th grade right now. i do everything for money. some stuff i got for my birthday, i got an AquaC protein skimmer for free, and i work a lot for my dad. hes always remodeling and stuff (or rather I am). it is still really hard to get money for it. ive been saving up and working on mine for 7 months.

PETER
Old 06/27/2005, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hckycoz
greg i didnt know you were only 23. You have been my inspiration. everytime i look through mags and see prices on equipment i just look at your tank and think that one day mine will look somewhat like that
Well, 23 and a half.
Thank you for the kind words. If you do it right maybe I'll be jealous of your tank one day.
Old 06/28/2005, 01:20 AM
Worm person

Going to get an urchin soon. The tank is clearing - skimmer is working overtime.

Pushing towards 22 and I worked all summer to get a few thousand bucks to set it up. People are disappointed because I have no fish. That's too bad, because this is my tank and I stock it the way I want it.
Old 06/28/2005, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

holy pooh thats a green tank. One of my tanks looked like that for a little bit... then I got a skimmer and did a few water changes.
Old 06/28/2005, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

Run why is your water so green? what did you do? or didn't do?
Old 06/28/2005, 05:35 AM
Registered Member

Reefah:
I now it's a little late, but your tank looks really cool!
Old 06/28/2005, 07:33 AM
Medieval French Monkey

Well, I'm probably the oldest one posting to this thread, but I'm still a student (also poor, ).

Here's my 55. I just did some rearranging so many corals aren't opened up like they usually are.

Old 06/28/2005, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

I will post pics when I get home from work. When I was a kid I didn't get money for good grades, I just didn't get my butt whooped. I think there is a disturbing trend away from corporal punishment these days. Not saying that anyone on here who is younger than me is insolent, just that there are lots of young children I saw when I was lifeguarding that blew me away. If I ever talked to my parents the way I see some kids do it nowadays... I wouldn't be able to sit down for a week! Anyways, I am still a kid too... and I suppose I am lucky to have enough money for this hobby. I am doing an internship at IBM right now and I realized that if I was still living at home... holy would I have lots of money, no rent costs, no food costs, no utilities bill, that would be sweet. I am not trying to be condescending here... but everyone who lives with their parents: Don't ever move out, not until you are married, independance is great... but the responsabilities are greater.
Old 06/28/2005, 03:43 PM
Worm person

I once dumped 1,5L of dense phytoplankton in and voila. It took about a week to become so turbid that I could see only a few cm into the tank. I cracked up the skimmer and its clearing... a few cm a day.
Old 07/03/2005, 12:52 AM
Moved On

GregM, holy smokes! NICE tank!

I just want to note to the 18-year-old student asking where a 13-year-old gets money... Remember when you were still living with your parents? You'd spend your lunch money on coffee or pot or anything BUT lunch. Before the joys of paying your own rent, food, etc., money means nothing. Granted, I didn't have much money at 13--or at 18, for that matter--but that's somewhat of a reason. Maybe the kid has a job, or parents who give him money instead of paying attention to him. (Kidding! I don't mean it personally. It's just a common practice these days, it seems...)

Just my two cents.
Old 07/04/2005, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

caeser you have a good point but tanks nowa days cost over a grand and my parents never gave m a grand for lunch
Old 07/04/2005, 04:26 PM
Moved On

Heh... My tank didn't cost a grand. You can have a full-on 120 gallon tank with $400 Euro-Reef skimmer, $200 calcium reactor, custom $200 acrylic sump, and the finest Marshall Island and aquacultured rock...

OR...

You can have a 10-30 gallon tank with a hang-on-back skimmer like a $100 Aqua-C Remora, a second-hand glass aquarium for a sump with DIY plumbing, and keep LPS/zoos/etc. ...You see my point?

Everything is relative.
Old 07/04/2005, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

i don't get how some of you are college students, with your big *** tanks! i live in the dorms which most of us students do, and can only keep very small tanks. i bet you guys only take like, 6 credits a semester. pshhh! haha. cut the umbilical chord already and stop living off your parents!
Old 07/04/2005, 05:07 PM
Moved On

Heh.. Wow, someone's jealous!
Besides, some of these loaded college kids are drug-dealers, too.
Old 07/04/2005, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Lol at what this thread has become
Old 07/04/2005, 07:16 PM
Moved On

Yeah... It's on the topic. The last two posts were a tiny bit off, maybe...
Old 07/04/2005, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

I'm 15, going to be a sophmore this fall in high school. I have a job and pay for 100% of what goes into my tank.

36gal bow

Purple w/ green polyps

Rainbow Monti

This rainbow was a frag from the above piece

This whole rainbow monti colony is still recovering from bleaching. Different than the above two.

Acan lord

My second acan lord

Tyree LE green polyp toad

True M. confusa
Old 07/04/2005, 08:03 PM
Moved On

Awesome stuff. When I started reefing, I didn't even know that kind of stuff existed... And when I did, I never thought I'd ever have that kind of beautiful stuff! (Wish I had a good camera... I'd show shots of my mint-green Acan lord, red and blue Indo lord, Superman Monti danae....) I couldn't imagine being 15 and into reefkeeping; I had NO money then, heh. Good thing I started later on!
Old 07/04/2005, 08:15 PM
AKA: Hercules Rockefeller

I just graduated from High School. I will be goin to college this Fall. I have a 40 hour-a-week job to pay for my stuff. Before I had my job I would mow lawns mostly, and use B-Day money.

Here's my 55 FOWLR.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=623163

Old 07/04/2005, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

im 23 and about to start my last(hopefully) year of my mechanical engineering degree! and i must say my part time job at the LFS really helps out

here is my custom scratch built 15g

soon as i graduate and get a house I will be deciding on either a 180 or 240g....so many idea's....cant wait any longer!!!