Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Chemical Valley Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2006, 05:10 PM
I am Nano

Lighting suggestions?

Well, i'm back to craving MH's again. I've just seen so many awesome mixed reef tanks recently, and I want to be able to buy almost any coral in confidence that it will thrive. SO, I posted back here, and I am asking everyone (Ron mostly, lol) which brand, model, and wattage for my 75 gallon reef tank. I want to be able to keep most/all SPS, LPS, and zoas/softies (shaded, if necessary). But I don't want to make any softies I have suffer from too much light, etc. I realize that I will need 2 unless I put a MH in the middle, and then NO's on either side for shrooms or whatever, but I think 2 MH's will be acceptable for Christmas...

The fixtures will need to be plug and play, because I cannot wire. I would be willing to trade my 48" T5 fixture for one or 2 MH's...lol.

My tank is 48" long, and 18" tall (sand bed accounted for). I plan on getting much more live rock, because I am unhappy with the current amount. This will be a long process, because I still need more live rock, a new skimmer, powerheads (found some), etc. I'm not going to have a calcium reactor, or anything shfancy. I also really like LPS. I just bought some green candy canes this week from a fellow reefer. Should be here by Thursday.
Old 10/17/2006, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

When I bought my tank, about 10 months ago, I thought long and hard about the lighting..cost and all. I wanted a large tank, but wanted to also save on cost, so I went with a 120 gal. The reason I am sharing is because, your 75 gal, although is smaller than mine, will still require the same size light because it is the same lenght. If you get the kind I got with the actintics on the side, and the MH in the middle, you are going to pay for it though.
http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...uterOrbit3.htm
This is an awesome light, it is the same one as mine, but I bought mine from my favorite LFS , because they do not overcharge, they pay for shipping and it helps support them.
Old 10/17/2006, 06:25 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

Another option would be the Coralife version of the same light. Aqualight Pro 48". That's the light I run here at home. Only a few differences in the two but either would be fine on a 75 mixed reef IMO.
Old 10/17/2006, 08:45 PM
I am Nano

Thanks! Ron, I have yet to see your tank, but I HAVE seen yours Reef4fun. Your tank is amazing, with all the diversity. Flower anemones, gorgonias, softies, SPS, etc. Ron, i'm sure your tank would blow my mind, so i'm gonna go look at your light suggestion. What size tank do you have Ron?
Old 10/17/2006, 08:48 PM
I am Nano

Will this one work?

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...roduct=ES53506

Or do I HAVE to get the 500+ watt one to get good growth out of all corals?
Old 10/17/2006, 08:55 PM
I am Nano

Now I just have to find $672.99 somewhere...
Old 10/17/2006, 10:42 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

Thats the one I use.

My home tank not all that impressive, my best work can be seen at the shop in the display tanks and Rogers tank IMO. My new tank, thats another story for another day
Old 10/17/2006, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

mine is the same one that is on the shop display tank Brock, I love it.
Old 10/17/2006, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Go LED..... hehe Yeah yeah I'll get pics up soon dang it.
Old 10/18/2006, 02:59 PM
I am Nano

Ron,

Which wattage one do you use? The one I linked?
Old 10/18/2006, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Brock, Ron and I have the exact same tank and use nearly the same wattage, 2 of the 150W MH 10K. My light has the 130W acintics where Rons has the 96 (correct me if I am wrong Ron) the difference in the two lights would be the one that I have has 6 lunar lights, where as the other has 3. Mine is about 1 1/2 inches thicker, which makes it look more bulky, so the other may look better on your tank.
I really don't believe Ron was "suggesting" the light he has, he was simply telling you of another choice that is about the same.
Old 10/18/2006, 08:51 PM
I am Nano

Well, I think that is sort of suggesting. I have decided to go with an LPS dominated reef, because the lighting doesn't need to be blinding, and I don't need as much flow as the Ohio River, lol. I bought some candy canes that should be coming in tomorrow.
Old 10/18/2006, 10:19 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

Im not suggesting anything, I could care less what light anyone uses there are tons of lighting choices out there, just get what you need and you will be fine. I use the one I use only because it is what I needed at the time for my system I set up, but now I need far more so I will be going up to 3X250 on the next tank Im designing. You should be fine with LPS in your tank or montiporas for that matter IMO.
Old 10/19/2006, 04:06 PM
I am Nano

Ok, sorry for assuming.

I should be fine with LPS and montiporas with my setup right now? With the T5's?
Old 10/19/2006, 10:20 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

You should be fine with your light for most LPS, montis, and zoas IMO.
Old 10/21/2006, 08:00 PM
Flow Master

If your going to be keeping LPS and softies why would you need halides if you already have T5's? I would just continue with the T5's from what I have heard they should do the job for you. I do not have any first hand knowledge about T5's, only what I have read from others.
Old 10/21/2006, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Brock check this one out from aquadeal maybe you won't have to wait for Christmas if you have been good all year . LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Metal-H...QQcmdZViewItem