Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 02/04/2006, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

moorish idol

in march ill be getting a moorish idol this man kept for a year and a half. Ill be putting him in my 135 with my brain, clam and gorgonian. My problem is that he might touch the clam , the brain, and the gorgonian. To add to that, my blue face might pick on them as well . I desperately need your advice on wether the idol will touch the brain Etc. will my achilles, yellow tang, nemo show any aggresion towards the idol in any way?

Thanx! May the force be with you all!!!!!
Old 02/04/2006, 09:51 PM
Go Sooners!

If your yellow and Achilles are pretty established, it will more than likely be a nightmare for your new Idol. Tangs are very nasty when they're established and someone new invades their territory.
Old 02/04/2006, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

yep...mine has 200 gal all to himself, except an algae blenny and a couple cleaner shrimp. I put in a school of chromis (sm) and they started nipping at his dorsal fin, those bastards. needless to say, they are out of that tank.
Old 02/06/2006, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

my yellow tang is about 1 year established, but my achilles is under quarantine. When i had my first MI the yellow tang didnt show any aggression towards it, but when the yellow tang ate, the idol learned from him. but when i got the goldrim, fights between the idol and the goldrim started breaking out, leading to the death of the idol. :c
Old 02/06/2006, 06:12 PM
Go Sooners!

I think your yellow will give the idol problems.
Old 02/06/2006, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

yellow tangs are well know as dither fish in the aquarium industry and are often used to get idols to start eating prepared foods. i would say rearrange the rock work the day you plan to put the idol in and that way there will be no estabilished territories. just proceed with caution and best of luck.
Old 02/07/2006, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

Here is more than you ever wanted to know about Idols

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 02/07/2006, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

thanx for the info. The man at the lfs is asking $120 for it. He's really big, really healthy looking and as ive said before, he's been the owner of the lfs for over a year and a bit now. Is that a reasonable price?
Old 02/07/2006, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

My LFS was asking $50 for the medium sized idols that they got in. I thought it was a good deal, i wasnt about to try to keep an idol alive though, i have enough trouble with the "easy" fish.

Fishtown U.S.A.; Queens NY
Old 02/08/2006, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

okay I can't bight my tongue anymore, you have an ACHILLES,BLUEFACE in QT with ich, you have a YELLOW TANG, and now want to add an IDOL?! isn't your tank a 125g? only fish remotely possible for this setup is the YELLOW. these are all fish that grow big and need lots of space. ACHILLES,BLUEFACES and IDOLS are extremely hard to keep under the best of conditions.not sure how much research you've done but your heading down the wrong path IMO.
Old 02/08/2006, 12:51 PM
It tastes like burning

Quote:
yellow tangs are well know as dither fish in the aquarium industry and are often used to get idols to start eating prepared foods.
Right, a YT can be good to have in a tank with an Idol. The Idol will watch the YT for behavioral cues as to what to eat and so on.

As far as tank size, you may have a problem. As adults, you'll have a lot of fish in that tank, so upgrading to a larger tank would be ideal, giving them more room to feel comfortable and secure, lowering aggression among the fish.
Old 02/08/2006, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike de Leon
The man at the lfs is asking $120 for it. Is that a reasonable price?
I dont think so.
Old 02/08/2006, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

thanx. I'm considering upgrading, even though i just upgraded last x-mas to suit the needs of my fish. Either that, or i just get rid of the achilles tang. But if i do that, i wont have a fish that will keep the caulerpa algae in check. Well the angel might do that. are idols considered voracios algae eaters?
Old 02/08/2006, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

I remember being in Hawaii a couple of years ago, and we were cathing Morish Idols for fun. All we had were two 5 inch nets. My cousin and I would trap them in small channels, swoop them in the net and say to each other, "geez back home these would cost $60.00", then we let them go.
Old 02/08/2006, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike de Leon
are idols considered voracios algae eaters?
Yes, they'll eat algae all day long....
Old 02/15/2006, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

if the banner of the idol -thats wat i call the top fin becomes shorter over time would that mean that im doing anything wrong? my first idol had a really long banner, but over time it shortened is this bad?
Old 02/15/2006, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

so you have already had problems with one? and are getting another?
Old 02/16/2006, 12:16 AM
in da tank, aight

as long as hes from the west side well have no problemz, so dont fret about me. now bout the other geezas, i dont know

nemog
Old 02/18/2006, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

gibbswagon,
he didnt make it through the harsh times. When the powder brown died, he got sick and died as well. He was strong but not strong enough. But the difference this time, is that i now know what the fish likes to eat, and its living conditions because it has been in captivity for awhile. But the other idol was from the pet store, it was there for a few days, and that store was well known for its problems with ich
Old 02/18/2006, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

i love moorish idols, i have always wanted one, but i am a little unsure about feeding
Old 04/01/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

they do pretty well after you get them eating. mine ate mysis soaked in selcon.
he also had nori with garlic
Old 04/01/2006, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Smile

Mine eats like a pig. Angel formula with sponge, pellets, mysis, basically anything I throw in there. Mine is in a 35 gal quaratine for a few more days. He is doing great, and has lived for 2 weeks in my care, about 1 more than I thought he would. The morish idol thread has helped a lot.