Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/28/2005, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Arrow Grand Cayman Islands: What corals are native to this area?

Hi! My husband and I are working with the Grand Cayman gov't to propagate the coral reefs there. Does any one know what types of corals (soft and hard) are native to this region? I have had no luck just trying to search for it. Thanks in advance,
Sarah
Old 07/28/2005, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

I would have thought that the Grand Cayman government already would have a lot of info about this.
Old 07/28/2005, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Okay...anyone else?
Old 07/28/2005, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

My comment was meant as a serious suggestion. If the government wants to propagate the reefs, I would have thought they'd have biologists who had expertise in the corals in the region.

Other suggestions might include:

1) Reef Coral Identification: Florida Caribbean Bahamas Including Marine Plants by Paul Humann (Author), Ned Deloach

2) A Guide to the Coral Reefs of the Caribbean by Spalding

The following articles might also have relevent information:

1) Fenner, Douglas P. [Author]. Some reefs and corals of Roatan (Honduras), Cayman Brac, and Little Cayman. Atoll Research Bulletin. 0(388). 1993. 1-30.

2) Manfrino, Carrie [Author, Reprint Author; E-mail: cmanfrin@kean.edu]; Riegl, Bernhard [Author]; Hall, Jerome L. [Author]; Graifman, Robert [Author]. Status of coral reefs of Little Cayman, Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac, British West Indies, in 1999 and 2000 (Part 1: Stony corals and algae). Atoll Research Bulletin.(496). July 2003. 205-226.
Old 07/28/2005, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Never said I was a biologist, just a coral propagator/conservationist who is interested in growing back the reef. This whole set-up is in the beginning stages still. I dont want to introduce a coral that will take over. Thanks for the info, i will check out the books. We will actually be re-growing coral onto dead corals and replacing them into the reef. i am really excited about this effort. thanks
Old 07/28/2005, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Here's the URL for a PDF version of the Fenner article. You should be able to get the other one from the same site (the journal is put out by the Smithsonian):

http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty...79-388/388.pdf
Old 07/29/2005, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

You should PM Bomber, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.
Old 07/29/2005, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

nickb, thanks for that last URL! Very helpful!
Old 08/04/2005, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ImAFinAddict
I dont want to introduce a coral that will take over. ....... We will actually be re-growing coral onto dead corals and replacing them into the reef.
erm just wanted to confirm that you are planning to take specimens from the wilds around cayman and propagate them for reintroduction as opposed to obtaining what you believe to be species indigenous to cayman, propagating them and introducing them. I think the latter is potentially a bad idea.
Old 08/17/2005, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

Don't think you'll have any luck with doing that in cayman. Pretty much every reef there is considered part of a park and is protected. Besides, don't take anything! I'm going on a diving trip there in a couple weeks
Old 08/19/2005, 10:31 AM
Always a Buckeye

I was under the assumption the government was in a way "sponsoring" her to do this?

I can't help you with the question, but I was there about 8 years ago and love that place. I hope to go back in the next few years, this time with SCUBA cert.
Old 08/26/2005, 03:57 PM
But what do I know?

I've heard of "vacations" where people go to help marine biologist do their job. I certainly hope this is what you are planning on. You list your occupation as a LFS owner. If you do not have the resources to already know this question, why do you think you are qualified to do this? I don't mean to sound rude, but shouldn't you leave this to the experts.