Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 05/24/2005, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Dirty dogs

I will never understand my dog. I can take Molly to the park in the middle of winter and the pond will be freezing cold and she will happily jump into the pond to get her tennis ball, over and over. I can go in the summer and the water be nasty and stagnant, she doesn't care. For the tennis ball, she will brave whatever the pond looks like. Now at home, a nice bathtub filled with fresh, clean, warm water. What does she do, cowers in front of the tub and hides in fear when I fill the bath tub. Oh, she'll get in once I put her front paws in the water, but I have to drag her in the bathroom first. Uggg, I'll never understand
Old 05/25/2005, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Just throw her tennis ball into the tub!
Old 05/25/2005, 02:01 AM
Premium Member

My family has always had English Mastiffs, big dogs. Some of them loved bath time, some didn't. Well, when my parents built their new house, they had a very large walk-in shower built in the master bath with one of those moveble shower massagers (it was too much work to get the dogs to step over the old tub ledge as they got older [dogs AND parents :-)]).

Now they all seem to love "shower" time! After all, they get a massage with warm water.
Old 05/25/2005, 03:14 AM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Our dogs prefer drinking out of the pool, versus the big tub of fresh water they always have. Go figure.
Old 05/25/2005, 09:00 AM
667 (Evil and then some)

There's a few issues that could be bothering her...

The most likely one is the slick surface of the tub. Many dogs are afraid of walking on vinyl floors and other slick surfaces. A lot of em don't like the tub for this reason.

Another is a dominance issue. If you have to pick the dog up to put them in or out of the tub, the dog takes it as a show of dominance instead of a method for getting from point a to point b. Then you futher the display of dominance by making them stay put while you wash them. Some dogs aren't comfortable with such situations.

Bathing em outside might be more comfortable for the dog and easier for you. If you want to provide warm water for you pup, buy a garden hose adapter for your sink faucet at the hardware store. This way you can run a garden hose from your sink faucet and use warm water instead of cold.
Old 05/25/2005, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

dogfaced puffer- tried that, she jumped right back out with the ball

muttling - not sure about the dominance issue, we always re-establish dominace with her, she is a very laid back dog. We can do anything to her. We did start out with bath time in the backyard with the water hose, but that is even worse. To the point of her growling at me and nearly choking herself on her leash. Maybe I'll go get a bathmat to put in there and see if it helps.
Old 05/25/2005, 12:26 PM
Queen Supreme multitasker

Lab by chance??? I have an almost 15 year old lab mix and she LOVES to swim. I mean LOVES it. But bathtime is AWFUL. We used to torture her by saying "Want to take a bath?" and she would slink away and hide.

She doesn't hear so well anymore, so, it doesn't have quite the same effect. She hasn't been allowed to swim for a couple of years due to congestive heart failure.

Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
- Leo Rosten
Old 05/25/2005, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

German Shorthaired Pointer