Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/18/2007, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

After seeing these, I've got to get me an LPS tank! (56K download warning)

I decided to venture out to see how the other side lives! I went to pookstreet's home to drop off a coral and you know I brought my camera. 300 gallons of wet dreams. I have seen all these wicked colored acans around and I can now say that I too am a believer! Now to talk the wife into another tank.

I took a lot of pics but here are a few to hold you over til tomorrow.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Last edited by gcarroll; 10/18/2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10/18/2007, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

Chalices

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 10/18/2007, 10:00 AM
Reef slave

very nice greg. i need you to come over and take some pictures of my tank. let me clean it first.=)
Old 10/18/2007, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

here are the rest! (sorry they are not as sharp as normal but I did not notice how slow the shutter speed was til I got home and downloaded)

Old 10/18/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

omg - WHERE can i get a frag of these purple wellsis???

Old 10/18/2007, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

actually I think he said those were palythoa. I don't remember the name of them though. maybe "purple death"?

Old 10/18/2007, 11:37 AM
Moved On

yea thats a purple death paly.
Old 10/18/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

ok, that would make a lot more sense. they looked like blastos at first, but now i see the rim around them isn't a fleshly rim. definately looks more like palys.

i was gonna say!!! i gotta get me some o' them!

lol!
Old 10/18/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

I believe Zoanuts (maybe Zoafrag) has purple death blastos.
Old 10/18/2007, 04:06 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Great Pictures Greg! Kenny has some killer stuff, I got some frags from him a few months ago and it pretty much started the LPS trip I'm on now!

is that the Prism Favia or the Dragons Soul? or are they the same? what a specimen!!
Old 10/18/2007, 04:21 PM
TANK RAIDER!

some nice stuff there.
Old 10/18/2007, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kev apsley
is that the Prism Favia or the Dragons Soul? or are they the same? what a specimen!!
I spoke w/ Kenny and I was told that is actually the original Dragon Soul colony. It is a remarkable piece.

Old 10/18/2007, 05:11 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Quote:
Originally posted by gcarroll
I spoke w/ Kenny and I was told that is actually the original Dragon Soul colony. It is a remarkable piece.
God I LOVE that coral! Did you get a frag?
Old 10/18/2007, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

What kind of LIGHTS is he using?
Old 10/18/2007, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
God I LOVE that coral! Did you get a frag?
Not any more. I was originally given one from Richard (wishintobeoutside), who is a very good friend of mine, but I cannot maintain the color as I have too much light. I gave the frag back. I'm sure I can get it back if I set up a low light tank in the future. Last I talked to Richard, he was having trouble keeping the color in his tanks since they are so shallow. I assume that is why the colony in in Kenny's tank but don't quote me on that.

Quote:
Originally posted by rppvt
What kind of LIGHTS is he using?
The lighting on the tank is temporary while awaiting his MH system. Right now he is using some cheap T5 fixtures.

Old 10/18/2007, 05:35 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Quote:
Originally posted by gcarroll
Not any more. I was originally given one from Richard (wishintobeoutside) but I cannot maintain the color as I have too much light. I gave the frag back. I'm sure I can get it back if I set up a low light tank in the future. Last I talked to Richard, he was having trouble keeping the color in his tanks since they are so shallow. I assume that is why the colony in in Kenny's tank but don't quote me on that.
Got ya! I have a small colony so when you are ready for a frag give me a holler
Old 10/18/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

Great Pics. Kenny has a beautiful varied collection of Lps.
Old 10/18/2007, 06:21 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexpescado
Great Pics. Kenny has a beautiful varied collection of Lps.
yes he does and so do you my friend!
Old 10/19/2007, 04:17 PM
Reef slave

kev,

the piece that is at kenny's is the orginal dragon soul colony. a fragement of this did go to steve tyree, other fragments have gone to hugo and josecasas, recently slojim. i have seen a few similar colonies but not the same as this. the color stayed true and is more vivid then another peice i have. This piece may be similar to atlantis aquarium's ulimtate crown jewel, but i have not seen a fragment to compair. my orginal colony was broken by diver/ collector, i have seen sps addict fragment and is very close if not the same... i hope this history helps.

Richard
Old 10/19/2007, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Richard, I love that Dragons Soul frag I got. I have noticed the vibrant purple began to dim within the first few days of being in my tank. It came out of the bag so bright...one of the brightest purples I have ever seen, only to dim out on me. Any suggestions?? I have it on the bottom, at least 30" under the 250w 12K Reeflux SE MH bulb, in full light. I am thinking I need to get it in a shaded spot with diffused light maybe???
Old 10/19/2007, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Not too far off topic, and maybe this needs to go in the "lighting and other technical stuff" forum, but I was under the impression that with corals one wanted MORE light rather than less, is this not true for softies?
I've got these maniacs crawling all over my tank and I've got lots of light. Granted the colors aren't much to get excitied about, hardly like the gems I'm seeing here, but I've got actinic t5s AND 10 and 14 kMh's and I'm real good at growing brownish orange buttons.
Old 10/19/2007, 09:36 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Quote:
Originally posted by wishntoboutside
kev,

the piece that is at kenny's is the orginal dragon soul colony. a fragement of this did go to steve tyree, other fragments have gone to hugo and josecasas, recently slojim. i have seen a few similar colonies but not the same as this. the color stayed true and is more vivid then another peice i have. This piece may be similar to atlantis aquarium's ulimtate crown jewel, but i have not seen a fragment to compair. my orginal colony was broken by diver/ collector, i have seen sps addict fragment and is very close if not the same... i hope this history helps.

Richard
yes it does! Thank You very much for the explanation
Old 10/19/2007, 09:54 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Quote:
yes it does! Thank You very much for the explanation could you also elaborate on lighting requirments for the Dragon Soul? (great name for a coral) Thanks!
Old 10/21/2007, 12:35 AM
Reef slave

slojmn,
gald you like the frag. the purple held well for me it was the red the went from red to brownish at times. the piece that is at kennys is under t-5's i believe. kenny please chime in on this, i know you been busy.
i orginaly had it in a tank only 10 inches deep. so it was hard to get it looking nice. i raised my light above tank 18 inches and still was not happy with those results. my fragments do well in my main take with phoenix de bulbs and about 24 inches of lighting. here is a pic of the other colony in my 10 depth tank. it is more green than red, and the purple is washed. this will be moved soon in another tank. my room remodel almost done

maybe its me but i would say with some bulbs changing in and out but i would go at least 14 to 20k on bulb color, deep 24 to 30, and maybe off to the side of light but not directly. direct light i get greens.

also please not miguel from fraggle reef did also aquire the same or similar colony of this for the record. forget to mention this in previous post
Old 10/21/2007, 01:20 AM
Moving Along

Wow, those do look nice. I think I need to go and raid that guy's tank

Thanks for taking all those pix Greg. I really do need to get a macro lense but as you can see, I still need LOTS of equipment for the system.

I would have posted sooner but as wishntoboutside indicated, I've been crazy busy, which is actually an understatement. I am still waiting for a couple of packages from fellow reefers but have to tell them to hold off shipping b/c I am just not around.

Thanks for the kind words Alex and Kev. You guys are too shabby yourselves.

slojmn, try to shade the D-Soul a bit if you can or move it off to the side. Too much light will wash out the purple and bring out more of the neon green, as in the photo that wishntoboutside posted above. I do have the piece under T5's temporarily and I think it does bring out the best colors.