Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/24/2007, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

I thought of another one...

When people call damsels damNsels and complain about their behaviour. It's their nature to be territorial, and some are downright mean, but that's well known. If you buy one, know what you're getting into and don't be upset when they act in a way that comes naturally to them!

Also, not all damsels are vicious, and none deserve to be abused - use a cocktail shrimp to cycle your tank, not a living fish.
Old 08/24/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

People not knowing the difference between advice and advise drives me nuts. It seems quite common and it's rare that i go through a full day without seeing a thread like "I need advise on what protein skimmer to get".
Old 08/24/2007, 03:43 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

I dont like what happens after some people get advice that doesnt match up with what they wanted. They will go into other forums asking the same question just looking for somone to agree with them. Usually when 9 out of 10 people tell you something, you should follow what the group of 9 is saying. There is a lot of good advice rolling around on these boards and some poeple just dont want to listen. It has to be "my way or the highway"
Old 08/24/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
That I currently only have a 46 gallon bow front tank...
ditto
Old 08/24/2007, 05:44 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

Mine is people with no grasp of the fundamentals (conservation of energy, luminous efficacy, etc) of science arguing technical topics.
Old 08/24/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

How about people who recommend equipment or a husbandry technique that have never owned the equipment or kept said species.

I asked my 3 year old daughter who wore man panties and she replied, "Superman!" Think about it.
Old 08/24/2007, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

Good pet peeves guys, makes me feel better that I'm not the only one :P Another little one, and this is a general thing not related to fish, is when people type 'of' instead of 'have', as in:

"I should of known better' or 'He would of gone but he was busy"

It's should have, would have, could have, as in:

"I wrote 'should of', but I should have written 'should have"

That one really bugs me, wow. I didn't realize quite how much until just now
Old 08/24/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

"How about people who recommend equipment or a husbandry technique that have never owned the equipment or kept said species."

I'd have to disagree. I don't see it as a problem so long as the person has done sufficient research on the equipment, species, or technique. I mean, even if you practiced or used something, you aren't really an expert on it unless you do your research. For instance, I currently use Icecap ballasts (MH and T5/VHO). I've never had an electrical noise issue, but I know that others have had that issue. Had I not done research on the subject, I would be completely in the dark about it. Would I have been a better source of info on the subject than someone who didn't use them but had done the research? No.

The real problem comes from one of my great annoyances:
-People who ask questions that have been posed upwards of ten times daily. If you want someone to spend the time answering a question, at least show that you've put forth some effort to research the topic yourself.

Other pet peeves:
-People who don't post a price in the Used Goods forum.
-People who post "tag" or some other needless message to be able to follow a thread. That is the purpose of "subsribe to this thread."
-"ROFLMAO" Sorry, but I don't believe you really are. If you did, you need to calm down, it wasn't that funny.
Old 08/24/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

When the seasoned reefers abandon the "New To The Hobby" forum for a while and those poor newbies start trying to give one another advice.

When somebody posts a question and doesn't get any responses. Even if it's one of those really involved twisted questions that makes little sense. The nonsense of it should at least be pointed out so the poster knows where they've gone wrong.
Old 08/24/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

-not posting location in the thread title in the selling forums

-flame throwers in any thread. Debate is very healthy, unconstructive name calling is just a waste of time.
Old 08/24/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Barbra that comment reminds me of the phrase "the blind, leading the stupid, to do the impossible."
Old 08/24/2007, 09:35 PM
Psuedo Member

people that try to price cut an item youre already selling at 25% of the original price.

people that ask for help/answers but dont really want any advice because theyve made up their minds or in some cases already bought everything and then defend their purchases like it their favorite sports team.
Old 08/24/2007, 09:37 PM
Psuedo Member

or people that post "WTB" ads in a selling forum when theres already a WTB FORUM!

must drive a mod mad!
Old 08/24/2007, 09:41 PM
Psuedo Member

threads about "whats this red slime aglea?" or "help! ive got hair algea, What do I do?"

theres seriously like 100000000000000000000 threads about that...try using google instead of being a lazy ash that wants someone else to do it for you. That reminds me...

im so ranting about trivial things...how sad.
Old 08/24/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDguy
Quick!! Edit your post so separate is spelled correctly
Arrrgggghhhh! I knew I should have run that through a spell checker!
Old 08/24/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

I manage a fireplace department, and I cringe every time I hear customers and other employees discussing masonary fireplaces. The word is masonry. I also hate, that even news anchor persons, cannot pronounce the x sound in exit. Almost everyone now pronounces it eggzit. Score one for eubonics, because I think the battle is lost on that one Charlie Brown. Sigh...
Old 08/24/2007, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

I also hate it when people buy a critter (typically damsels) and then blame the fish for being what it is. Like putting a chocolate chip star in your tank and then getting mad because it eats your clownfish.

My view is that if you take it home, it's up to you to accommodate its needs or find it another suitable home. You don't get to flush it (or feed it to your corals or whatever) if you can't deal with what you should have found out before you bought it.

Ok, one more thing - and this is REALLY petty and pedantic - I find it annoying out of all proportion when people use the word "decimate" to mean "utterly destroy." It actually, literally, means "reduce by 10%." I honestly wish I didn't know that.

Sigh.

I feel better. Thanks ACBlinky.
Old 08/24/2007, 10:50 PM
hamster

Quote:
Originally posted by rssjsb

Ok, one more thing - and this is REALLY petty and pedantic - I find it annoying out of all proportion when people use the word "decimate" to mean "utterly destroy." It actually, literally, means "reduce by 10%." I honestly wish I didn't know that.

Sigh.
Not so much. May I direct you to #3?

Old 08/24/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Ok I'm probably going to get it for this but.........

How an extra foot of a tank WILL make that Tang sooooooo much more happier. So instead of a 4 foot jail cell he gets a 6 foot jail cell.

Yeah im sure he's living it up.....
Old 08/24/2007, 11:04 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by sfilingeri
Ok I'm probably going to get it for this but.........

How an extra foot of a tank WILL make that Tang sooooooo much more happier. So instead of a 4 foot jail cell he gets a 6 foot jail cell.

Yeah im sure he's living it up.....

Well first of thats really 2 feet. Whatever the reason, it does make them happier. I had a juv Hippo Tang in my 55g for about a year. It is a totally different fish now that its in my 125g. For open water swimmers every little bit helps. Those couple of extra feet add a lot of extra gallons to swim in.
Old 08/24/2007, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

When people say they saw this really awesome amazing thing in their tank and don't post pics!

And PVC glue..... after running the drain and return lines for my 125 I think I'll be peeling excess glue off my fingers for a month.
Old 08/24/2007, 11:32 PM
Team RC Member

people who post, wanting IDs of strange critters they cant even describe..... without photos.

------------------------------------------------

Last edited by mbbuna; 08/24/2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08/24/2007, 11:33 PM
Team RC Member

mishap you beat me to it

Old 08/24/2007, 11:34 PM
Team RC Member

people who want IDs from photos like this

[url=http://imageshack.us]

Old 08/24/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Well first of thats really 2 feet. Whatever the reason, it does make them happier. I had a juv Hippo Tang in my 55g for about a year. It is a totally different fish now that its in my 125g. For open water swimmers every little bit helps. Those couple of extra feet add a lot of extra gallons to swim in. [/QUOTE]

Well umm, Isnt that exactly what I meant???

Aqua..man dont mean any harm