Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Orlando Reef Caretakers Association (ORCA)

Old 05/26/2007, 07:52 AM
This is my Passion

Have You Questioned Your Water?

Some areas use Chloramines instead of chlorine to disinfect water.
Have you checked? There is debate over whether regular carbon blocks remove chloramines. I use two carbon blocks, and two DI's...just to give me added filtration. Something to think about...

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/chloramine_filters.htm

http://www.spectrapure.com/faq_p0.htm
Old 05/26/2007, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

purely H2o has a Catalytic Carbon add-on kit ...specifically made for this reason.

Catalytic Carbon add on
Old 05/26/2007, 11:58 AM
SPS Freak

I don't question mine. I'm on a well
Old 05/26/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

welll setup

Hey man can you tell me how you did the well setup for rodi? I have a rather deep welll with normal iron and sulphur content and would like to try it out.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
George
Old 05/27/2007, 12:14 AM
SPS Freak

I'm not really sure. I just have my well water going into my RO/DI. I've never had any issues. I used to have a sulfur smell at one time but don't anymore. When it would go through the RO/DI, the smell would be gone and I'd get 0 TDS. It seems to work fine for me. Do you have any specific questions?
Old 05/27/2007, 09:15 AM
long time newbie

since you are in leesberg what is you tds coming from the well? i would assume good since you are in the center of the state. my question is how many stages of prefilters are you using?
Old 05/27/2007, 01:44 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

I'm on a well also. We don't have any issues with ours except that we do need to change the prefilter and carbon a bit more often, but besides that we get 0 tds as well.
Old 05/27/2007, 01:49 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

I do know that some folks in South Florida and Tampa have placed chloramine cartridges on their units. Mflamb might have more insight on that from his area. A call to your local water company should provide info on whether they use chlorine or chloramine. The chloramine cartridge can be easily added to most, if not all, RO/DI units or a five stage can be purchased and a chloramine cartridge placed in the additional chamber. Smpolyp might also be able to provide some insight into filling the additional chamber with the Ammolock granules. Marcye
Old 05/27/2007, 02:32 PM
Patient Reefer

Hillsborough County water has chloramines, actually a very high level. That's why I have double chloramine elements on my RO/DI. These units are available locally in Orlando at your finest LFS....

And please be as environmentally friendly as possible...don't waste water...just because it's called waste water. The right side waste line goes to the rose garden, the left side goes to the swimming pool. You can run this to the washing machine, any garden area, a storage barrel for watering potted plants, etc...
Old 05/27/2007, 03:41 PM
SPS Freak

150 tds before i believe.
Old 05/27/2007, 04:19 PM
long time newbie

thats what i thought because i'm on saint john's river water managment and mine is 130 ish before. gwrench is in town and is on coca water and his can be in the range of 320. i think that one of the reasons he's wanting to do well if he could. thanks for the input
Old 05/27/2007, 04:22 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

One point for well users in agriculture areas: Incoming may change with crop runoff etc. Mine fluctuates all the time.
Old 05/27/2007, 08:04 PM
SPS Freak

Luckily I don't have to worry about that. We could request to get city water here in my subdivision but that would just be dumb. Free water vs pay for water

I work for the city so I would rather prefer the well water then theirs. It's pretty nasty even though it is supposebly one of the best.
Old 05/29/2007, 04:16 PM
I'll be here all week

Thanks to you Carole I questioned mine.

Quote:
The City of Winter Garden treats the drinking water with sodium hypochlorite commonly referred to as liquid chlorine or bleach.

Michael T. Cotton

Water Division Supervisor

City of Winter Garden

171 E. Palmetto St.

Winter Garden FL, 34787

PH (407) 656-5549 ex 2017 Fax (407) 656-5478

E-mail: mcotton@cwgdn.com
And it looks like I'm good to go. Switch out the prefilter & carbon aprox every six months and the DI at one year or at the first reading above zero from the inline or hand held TDS (wichever comes first)
Old 05/29/2007, 04:44 PM
SPS Freak

I know the City of Leesburg uses chlorine. They mentioned that to me awhile ago. Whether or not they changed recently I'm not sure but I can ask if anyone around the area wants to know.
Old 05/29/2007, 04:46 PM
I'll be here all week

Quote:
Originally posted by jay24k
I know the City of Leesburg uses chlorine. They mentioned that to me awhile ago. Whether or not they changed recently I'm not sure but I can ask if anyone around the area wants to know.
You can send the leesburg water department and email asking them directly.

http://www.leesburgflorida.gov/contact.aspx?to=water
Old 05/29/2007, 09:26 PM
This is my Passion

I posted this also the other day..what a nice guy, he checked for me. See what he says..if they changed they have to let you know.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1128951

And another..

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1128947