Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Chemical Valley Reef Club

Old 10/24/2006, 08:30 PM
I am Nano

Getting my first SPS tomorrow.

I will be getting my first SPS tomorrow by USPS. It was in transit for 2 days, so I think it'll be ok. It is a montipora capricornis. Orange. Sheesh, my tank has simply exploded with corals these past few months. Just before school started, I had a few zoanthid frags. Now I have many zoanthid colonies, my first LPS, and now i'm getting my first SPS! Gonna be difficult finding a spot high in the tank with high flow...don't wanna shade out any other corals. My first LPS came in the mail Friday. VERY nice neon green candy cane. 2 heads. I'm looking for a new skimmer now. I have a Skilter...piece-o'-crap. WORST skimmer i've ever seen. It's basically a filter. My system used to be so unstable. with constant ich battles (even AFTER quarantining new additions), fish randomly either dying, or coming up missing. Now I have nice fish, nice corals, coralline algae thriving. Ahhhhh...my reef is finally the way I like it...what the heck am I saying??? I need more corals!!!!! Lol. A shame I can't get to the meet this weekend. After seeing...that guy from Athens...vcan't remember your name, sorry...list of frags he's bringing...ouch. Hurt me really bad...

Just thought I would post with how I feel about my tank...

Brock
Old 10/24/2006, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Let's see a new pic.
Old 10/25/2006, 02:58 PM
I am Nano

Well...it didn't come today, and the tracking # is in my RC PM's, which I can't access. Don't know what's up, but it seems to do this with random things on this site...oi...
Old 10/25/2006, 03:06 PM
I am Nano

Grrr...just got an e-mail from RC staff...they suspended my posting is Buy/Sell/Trade, and took away PM rights!!!!!

They said it was because I own an online fish store, which I don't anymore, and because I was selling zoanthid frags...my tracking number for the cap is in my PM inbox, which I can't access!!!!!

ARGH!!!
Old 10/25/2006, 11:08 PM
Moved On

I hate it when that heppens
Old 10/26/2006, 07:46 AM
Coral Propagation Tech

Yeh the TOS is pretty strict guys at least your still allowed on the board Brock so I would just take that as a compromise. It could have been way worse.
Old 10/26/2006, 12:50 PM
I am Nano

Well, I got the frags today. She shipped me 3 monti cap frags, and a "Radioactive green star polyp" frag. Not really sure if the montis are alive, since it was 2 days late. The mail lady said she didn't see that I didn't need a signature, so she didn't leave it yesterday, or the day before...lol.

One of them is pretty big. Maybe 2" x 2", and the other 2 are smaller. There is some color, but the water they were in was completely orange (the color the frags were supposed to be). 1 little 2" x 3" heat pack, and the bags were very cold. The frags are brown, and slimy,so I assume they are fine (because they are still releasing slime). Not sure which side is up though...there is one side that has small ridges, and is dark brown, and the other side is white, with small holes in it (as if polyp openings). Which way is up? My tank is officially a mixed reef now!!!!!
Old 10/26/2006, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Brock, did you get a frag off of Rogers Orange Monti, the one that swirls as it grows? I got one and it is growing so much, it is a beautiful orange (I was afraid it would be a tan/orange, but it is actaully orange) and from the last frag order that I did, I got a Purple Monti Cap that also swirls as it grows, and I got a Green Cap that grows in a cup type formation. they are all doing really great. One of my Acros I got decided to bleach out, I guess it was not pleased with the lighting, but everything else is doing great. I don't know that much about these, I am learning as I go, but when I got my Monti Caps, none of them were sliming, so you may want to keep a serious check on that, also with the water being cloudy and colored. I'm sure more expierenced reefers will chime in.
Old 10/26/2006, 01:55 PM
I am Nano

No, I got these from a reefer in California. They weren't sliming as much as say, a freshly fragged leather, but they were pretty slimy to the touch. Color is returning, and they are a brownish orange. Pretty nice. Not sure how they grow, because i've only had them for a few hours, lol. Also, you have MH's, correct? I have T5's, so I will keep track of growth rates. The star polyps have yet to open, but i'm not worried about them. They look fine, not deteriorating, etc. 82*F is fine for SPS right? I am starting to grow massive amount of coralline...i'm excited. My tank actually looks like a reef. I used to only have small frags, and I would have to pretty much squint to see them. Now I have big, awesome corals. If I can find my digicam, i'll post a pic of the new additions.
Old 10/26/2006, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

that all sounds great Brock. As far as temp goes, my tank has gotten as warm as 84.5*F and they are all fine. I have noticed that they seem to do best, where I can see growth, if the temp is kept around 78*F - 80*F. As far as the star polyps go, it took mine till the next day to open when I got them, they should be fine. Yes, I do have MH lighting, but the Acro that bleached fell off of the top rock I had it super glued to (not well enough obviously) and was sitting on the bottom, and I just left it because it was standing upright and looked good. Anyway, it was not good for it, so after it bleaching (within a matter of 24 hours!) I put it back up closer to the light, I hope it colors back up. Congrads on your newly mixed reef tank!
Old 10/26/2006, 04:22 PM
I am Nano

Thanks! My favorites are some neon green candy canes. They are cool. Polyps are HUGE! So, I need to start looking for other SPS. Monti digita will probably be my next coral. Any other SPS I could keep under my lights? T5s.
Old 10/26/2006, 08:10 PM
Coral Propagation Tech

other side is white, with small holes in it

usually thats the btm
Old 10/26/2006, 08:28 PM
I am Nano

Ok, well I placed it in a really, really high flow area, and all of his coloration literally "blew" off. I saw it blow off in a cloud, so maybe it was algae? Anyway, it is completely white now...i'm afraid it's dead...
Old 10/26/2006, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

yea, the when the color "blows off" thats a really good indicator its dead, I hate it when that happens.
Old 10/26/2006, 09:28 PM
I am Nano

Can someone please contact em805 and tell her that my cap was DOA, and give her my e-mail?

fluharty99@hotmail.com