Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/02/2006, 05:28 PM
LIL VIC

question about lens....

hey everyone....

i currently have a Nikon D50 with the kit 28-80mm lens( http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/SLR1133.htm?bct=t1134 ), i wanted t oget better/closer-up macros from my tank and from anywhere else.

my problem is that i cannot afford a macro lens because they are way too expensive, or maybe im just looking in the wrong places. however i was wondering if this was a batter lens for me to get macros from...

http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/541535233.htm

thanx in advance
Victor

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind."
-'Dr. Seuss'
Old 03/02/2006, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

It is not a very fast lens, but I also don't have an answer for you. I am in the same boat with the same lens you have. I am just going to save up and get the 105mm Nikon Micro.

Some of the other Lens guys may be a lot more help.
Old 03/02/2006, 08:48 PM
10 & Over Club

You can get close up lens that go over your zoom lens just like a filter. They do a good job, and are inexpensive.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...x=7&Submit.y=7

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 03/03/2006, 10:28 AM
RC Mod

The lens you [Victor] linked to will give you a magnification ratio of 1:3.5-- that is only ok in macro terms. Actually the term 'macro' refers to a 1:1 (lifesize) magnification ration but we use the term loosely.
Anyhow- you want to get more magnification. The close-up filters Bill linked to will help you get more magnification by decreasing the minimum focus distance of whatever lens you put them on. The closer you are to the subject the greater the magnification will be. A good alternative when you don't want to plop down the big bucks for a 105mm macro lens (the ideal macro lens for your camera).
Greg
Old 03/03/2006, 11:09 AM
10 & Over Club

Here's a sample of what can be accomplished with such a close filter can do with a simular lens to yours. In this case it's a Cannon 35-80mm zoom set to 80mm with a Cannon 250D (+4 magnification) close up filter.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 03/03/2006, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

From what I have read the 2 element adaptors are much better than the singles.

If you had to rate these (the Nikon macro adaptors) against the Nikkor Micros lenses, what would your rating be.

In other words

Take the 50 Prime with the macro adaptor against the 60 Micro. On a scale of 1-100 where would the adapted lens fall in realtion to the 60 Micro being a perfect 100.

Thanks
Old 03/03/2006, 03:43 PM
LIL VIC

i may have worded myself wrong....
thanx for the info....right now for my "macro" shots i am using a magnifying glass at the end of my lens, it helps just a little, but what i also want is to get even closer than what i can with the lens i have now....

i dont know if im stateing this clearly thou.....

thanx again for your help, as it didi very much help...

Victor

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind."
-'Dr. Seuss'