Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 08:18 AM
Where the future begins!

Clown/Anemone Pics

Got a new camera for X-mas and managed to get some really nice photos of my clowns. Just thought I'd share

Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/27/2007, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

Nice photos! Great looking percs/nem too!

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/27/2007, 09:54 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Not too shabby, especially with the ISO cranked all the way up. Were those taken with the kit lens? Be careful, that camera will start making your tank look cheap when you want more and more stuff!

Good looking clowns too =D

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 12/27/2007, 10:24 AM
Where the future begins!

Quote:
Originally posted by dinoman
Not too shabby, especially with the ISO cranked all the way up. Were those taken with the kit lens? Be careful, that camera will start making your tank look cheap when you want more and more stuff!

Good looking clowns too =D
Dino! You're so mean! Yes, they were taken with the kit lens. I don't know the first thing about what the ISO etc... mean at this point. I'm still learning, so I was just playing around with the different settings to see what each one did. Probably why the ISO was cranked all the way up :P My Dad was trying to teach me some stuff, but he really wasn't too good at explaining it.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/27/2007, 10:25 AM
Where the future begins!

Thanks btw
Do evil in return."

Old 12/27/2007, 10:51 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by JokerGirl
Dino! You're so mean! Yes, they were taken with the kit lens. I don't know the first thing about what the ISO etc... mean at this point. I'm still learning, so I was just playing around with the different settings to see what each one did. Probably why the ISO was cranked all the way up :P My Dad was trying to teach me some stuff, but he really wasn't too good at explaining it.
You'll learn it! Just gotta play and push buttons and see what everything does. And don't be afraid to just sit down and read the manual! I still carry my manuals tucked away in a pocket on my camera bag just in case for some reason I need to look something up .

You've already done better than me with tank pictures (quite seriously), I've NEVER been able to take tank pictures. I can do anything else you ask but once it comes to tank pictures everything just goes to heck in a handbasket .

There is also a really good book out there called "Understanding Exposure", it doesn't deal with tank photography but it does go through the different parts of what makes an exposure, and how to use them creatively. Its geared towards beginners too so its fairly easy to read .

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 12/27/2007, 10:57 AM
Enjoying Life

Maybe I missed this but what cam? Nikon D40 or the Xti? What lens? Great pics BTW

FTS?
Old 12/27/2007, 12:31 PM
Where the future begins!

I'll have to get a FTS for you when I get home - havn't taken one with the new cam yet.

They were taken with the Canon Rebel XTi.

Dino, it shouldn't take me too long to figure it out. My Dad has been into photography his whole life, but he's so bad at explaining things. I plan to read the manual tonight
Do evil in return."

Old 12/27/2007, 01:07 PM
The Clownfish COP

Wish my camera took quality pics like that! BTW nice clowns.

-Ian
Old 12/27/2007, 01:21 PM
Moved On

ISO very low = FINE and ISO very high = noisy. Looks like you had it in AV mode unless you left it on auto. Either way, nice pictures. And you can do ALOT with stock lens... but I'd still get a ef 100mm f/2.8 macro lens lol. Have fun.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:06 PM
Where the future begins!

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late reply. I think I have the ISO thing figured out, but I'm really going to need a tripod. I've noticed that with the lower ISO that even a small amount of camera shake makes it blurry. I'll probably order one sometime this week.

In the mean time... here's some more from tonight

Do evil in return."

Old 01/01/2008, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Very nice, wish I could take pics like that.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

Very nice pictures. I have a Canon Rebel XT and find that 99% of my picture are garbage. The "ISO" is your film speed rating; generally the lower the ISO the better quality picture but you'll have to compensate with more exposure.

I insist on not using my flash, the light bounces all over the place and just washes out my pictures. I work around this by using a ISO rating of 800 (on the higher side) then balancing the shutter speed and aperture to get a decent picture. My father has a Rebel XT, but a variety of lenses and more experience. Granted, his pictures are way better than mine.

*edit* And while you're getting used to your new camera. Try snapping some of your percs while they're looking at you. It's a tough shot to get, but they're hands-down my favorites!

Old 01/02/2008, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Those are great pics too.