Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

Bathtub paint/epoxy - will it harm my reefs?

I've just been told that at 9am tomorrow morning a contractor will be coming to repaint/epoxy (not sure what method or materials they'll be using) our bathtub. We've been asking for a tub surround as it's non-toxic, but the building manager didn't want to spend the extra money and has decided to have the existing tub refinished (for the third time )

There are fumes associated with the product, but we have no idea what the product is called or even if it's a paint, resin, epoxy, or something else altogether. They've promised to cover the bathroom door in plastic and vent the fumes out a bedroom window, as we don't have a fan in our bathroom, but I'm still very concerned about my pets.

I just added carbon to the sump (in a mesh bag, inside the filter sock), but I'm not sure if there's anything else I can/should do. The bathroom lies equal distance from the back bedroom where there are two tanks (30g nano reef, 21g molly/QT, both are sumpless and skimmerless) and the living room where the 90g lives. I can close the bedroom door and open the window, but the living room is wide open. Should I have a fan going near the tank? I can borrow a floor fan from my mother in law if I need it.

Thank you for any tips or advice, I'm very worried about what's going to happen tomorrow :S