Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2007, 08:55 AM
This is my Passion

Can I Breathe Now?

I had a short bout with AEFW's a few months ago. I lost an efflo, a stag{never had an ID on it}, and most of my branchia, although I saved a nice piece which is growing back. I added a melanurus wrasse. I dipped the piece of leftover branchia twice in Revive, the second time there were no FW's. It has been at least a month since any sign of damage, eggs or fw's. Anything new will be dipped and QT'd. Am I out of the woods from these pests?
Old 09/24/2007, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

It is very hard to tell. How long did you keep the acro out of your main display? According to others who has successfully treated for AEFW. You have to keep the acro's out of your main display for at least 6 weeks with 5 series of dipping. You can use either fluke or Revive. You may kill a good amount of them but the eggs may hatch and slowly increase the population for another attack. It takes up to a year without any sign of AEFW to consider AEFW free.
Old 09/24/2007, 11:57 AM
This is my Passion

The efflo & stag were removed . The branchi was removed, severely fragged to outer unaffected branches, first dip showed fw's, no eggs. Second dip had no fw's, no eggs. It has been over a month and the frag shows no signs, nor does any other coral. You mean to tell me I could go on like this for 6 months or more, without seeing any, and then they come back, even if nothing new is introduced? Somehow that does'nt make sense to me, that the eggs would lie dormant that long.Why would'nt they just hatch out and get back to the destruction? Has anyone done a study, or given a timeline on how long it takes for the new eggs to hatch after all adults are gone{or assuming so}?
Old 09/24/2007, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Check out this thread...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1179242
Old 09/24/2007, 03:48 PM
OMAS VP

Best of luck waterfaller.
Old 09/25/2007, 06:05 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

Sps vd is a bad trip. Hopefully you will prevail.
Old 09/25/2007, 07:27 PM
This is my Passion

Thank you jjmcat & wentreefgirl. I sure hope so too..or I'm turning the tank into a fish tank..
Old 09/25/2007, 09:16 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

Youll make with a little help from rx and us.
Old 11/01/2007, 05:13 AM
This is my Passion

Another month has passed with NO AEFW's! It makes me want to never put anything new in there...too bad my lokani had to die. It is the one coral I would love to have again. Any ideas on how I could insure putting it in safely, with no chance of reintroducing the fw's?
Old 11/01/2007, 06:35 AM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

quarantine tank. only way.
Old 12/04/2007, 06:33 AM
This is my Passion

Another month..
Old 12/04/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

great! been where you are, and i know exactly how paranoid you can be for a long time. i am approaching a year since my AEFW treatment, and still pull suspect corals and dip em. after about 6 months, you really start to feel relaxed about it, but not so relaxed that you stop dipping incoming corals.

tank build thread linked to the little red house.

new tank here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1276784