Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

90g recovering well after horrible move

Just wanted to post a few pictures - our 90g is doing well now, and I'm pretty proud of it! We had a horrible experience moving house that involved a LONG delay, and we lost most of our corals along with 90% of the inverts and two fish (bicolour blenny & sixline wrasse). The tank went through a diatom bloom, and we're still in the midst of fighting hair algae, but the tang is keeping the display clean. Levels are good (NH3, NO2 & PO4 0ppm, NO3 5ppm, KH 4mEq/L, Ca 400ppm, pH 8.4, temp 78F) and everything seems to be bouncing back nicely. We'll be picking up some more hermits and snails soon, but for now we're just letting everything settle.

I'm sad to think of how much we lost, but at the same time I'm thrilled to be able to post pics of what we've still got. The corals have started to grow back and regain colour, the coralline is growing and the fish seem to be nice and relaxed. Watching the tank is the best part of my day. That line you can see in the FTS on the left side of the tank is a reflection of the edge of our breakfast table. I think this view is a pretty good way to start the day!

FTS:

End-view (from the couch):

Middle of the tank:

Just a funny pic of our chubby little angel

Thanks for looking guys
Old 09/28/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Looking good, glad to see the recovery is under way. I read the thread about the loss, what a terrible ordeal to go through. The angel is Lamarks (sp?), correct? Looks fat and happy.
Old 09/28/2007, 10:24 PM
Professional Obfuscator

I missed the ordeal part...but I must say, the tank is lovely now!
Old 09/28/2007, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

Thank you both for the kind words

mwoneal - yep, she's a Lamarck's (Genicanthus lamarck), I love that fish to bits She's pretty, tough, and can eat any of her tankmates under the table

Rue - thanks so much!

To fill you (and anyone else who is interested) in on the move... in brief, we had everything (fish and corals included) boxed up and ready at 7am on August 31st and should have arrived here in our new place around five hours later. The trucking company messed up the reservation, we didn't get a truck until 24h+ later, therefore we lost our elevator reservation and helpers (because we were moving an entire day after we had planned), and weren't able to start putting the tank together until at least 36h after we should have been done. We lost a lot of coral, most of the inverts, and two fish but it could have been much worse. None of the three tanks, or the sump or ATO resevoir tank broke, all the equipment is fine, and the livestock that survived is doing beautifully. I guess I try to look on the bright side
Old 09/29/2007, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

what kind of macro algae is that?
Old 09/29/2007, 02:10 AM
Premium Member

Halimeda - it's calcareous, uses up Ca just like a stony coral.